3947CROSLEY at Milepost 75!

    Apr 28 8:23 PM
    NEW CHEAP CAR MAKES ITS BOW - Two-Cylinder Crosley Weighs 925 Pounds, Costs $325 ......... Indianapolis, April 28 (1939) (A/P) — A new low-cost automobile, ten feet long and four and a half feet high, made its bow here today. The two-cylinder vehicle, which has a top speed of approximately 50 miles an hour, was christened at the Indianapolis motor speedway by Lewis L’Hommedieu Crosley, grandson ...of Powel Crosley, Jr., Cincinnati manufacturer of the new car. An estimated crowd of 2,000 persons, including Crosley wholesalers and automotive industry lenders, saw the new creation roll around the two-and-a-half mile brick and asphalt oval. Crosley said the car would be manufactured at Crosley plants in Cincinnati and Richmond. Ind., with the latter as shipping point. Production will start immediately. Two models, a two-passenger convertible couple and a four-passenger convertible sedan, will be built. The coupes will sell at $325 and the sedans at $350. The vehicle weighs 925 pounds and has three speeds forward, four-wheel brakes, safety glass and a one-man top. The gasoline tank holds four gallons, hut engineers said the car would get approximately 50 miles a gallon. “! have always wanted to build a practical car that would not only operate at a low cost but sell at a low cost,” Crosley said, “and I believe we have it here. This is no idle whim of mine to offer a diversity from other Crosley products. I have been dreaming of this car for some 28 years.”