January 5, 1943: The first confirmed 'kill' by the new Crosley Proximity Fuze., 1/5/2014, 12:00 am

(3811)
  • Crosley@yahoogroups.com
    Jan 4 Expand Messages
      Reminder from: Crosley Yahoo Group

      Title: January 5, 1943: The first confirmed 'kill' by the new Crosley Proximity Fuze.

      Date: Sunday January 5, 2014
      Time: 12:00 am - 12:00 am (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time - Dublin / Edinburgh / Lisbon / London
      Location: Near Guadalcanal, Pacific Ocean., CROSLEY CAR OWNERS CLUB (CCOC) - 4526 29th Avenue, Kenosha, Wisconsin 53140-3044, (262) 652-3034
      Notes: The destroyer USS Helena, part of a fleet under attack by four Japanese fighter planes, downs one of the Zeros in the first known wartime use of the new Crosley proximity fuze which is later credited with being the main weapon in shortening World War II. The fuze is widely considered the third most important product development of the war years, ranking behind only the atomic bomb and radar.

      James V. Forrestal, Secretary of the Navy said, "The proximity fuze has helped blaze the trail to Japan. Without the protection this ingenious device has given the surface ships of the Fleet, our westward push could not have been so swift and the cost in men and ships would have been immeasurably greater."

      British Prime Minister Winston S. Churchill was quoted with "These so-called proximity fuzes, made in the United States... proved potent against the small unmanned aircraft (V-1) with which we were assailed in 1944."

      Commanding General of the Third Army, George S. Patton said, "The funny fuze won the Battle of the Bulge for us. I think that when all armies get this shell we will have to devise some new method of warfare."

      Copyright © 2014  Yahoo Inc. All Rights Reserved | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy