2 Questions for DM John from Michael

  • michael Rowland
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2008
      1. How are we doing HP per level? Rolling dice? Half die? Half +1...???
      2. Can i change my speciality from conjuration to something else? I chose conjuration because i wanted to be a summoner expert... but i didn't know that things you summoned didn't show up until your NEXT round. (i don't think we've done it that way before, but Peter's right, that's how it should be done) This REALLY weakens a summoner, in my opinion, and i'd rather not be a conjuration expert as a result. If it's ok with you, i'd like to pick another school of magic, i'm thinking illusion, but i'm not sure. I briefly had an illusionist months ago, that we only went through one dungeon with, but it was fun. I don't think we even hit level 2, so maybe i'd like to go with that. If that's ok with you, of course.
      Thanks,
      Michael

      John <psybertrack@...> wrote:
      for simplicity lets say a
      a dagger is 6 inches to 18 inches.
      shortsword is 2 feet or less
      longsword is 3 feet long .
      a bastard sword is 5 feet long.
      a great sword is 7 feet
      and a full sword is 8 feet

    • Regina Buchanan
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2008
        MICHAEL: i need your mailing address, please give it
        to me through this email

        --- michael Rowland <michael_in1978@...> wrote:

        > 1. How are we doing HP per level? Rolling dice? Half
        > die? Half +1...???
        > 2. Can i change my speciality from conjuration to
        > something else? I chose conjuration because i wanted
        > to be a summoner expert... but i didn't know that
        > things you summoned didn't show up until your NEXT
        > round. (i don't think we've done it that way before,
        > but Peter's right, that's how it should be done)
        > This REALLY weakens a summoner, in my opinion, and
        > i'd rather not be a conjuration expert as a result.
        > If it's ok with you, i'd like to pick another school
        > of magic, i'm thinking illusion, but i'm not sure. I
        > briefly had an illusionist months ago, that we only
        > went through one dungeon with, but it was fun. I
        > don't think we even hit level 2, so maybe i'd like
        > to go with that. If that's ok with you, of course.
        > Thanks,
        > Michael
        >
        > John <psybertrack@...> wrote:
        > for simplicity lets say a
        > a dagger is 6 inches to 18 inches.
        > shortsword is 2 feet or less
        > longsword is 3 feet long .
        > a bastard sword is 5 feet long.
        > a great sword is 7 feet
        > and a full sword is 8 feet

        Be a better friend, newshound, and
      • michael Rowland
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2008
          Gateway Thrift Store
          10500 international blvd
          oakland, CA 94603
          ATTN: Stud Muffin

          --- michael Rowland <michael_in1978@ yahoo.com> wrote:

          > 1. How are we doing HP per level? Rolling dice? Half
          > die? Half +1...???
          > 2. Can i change my speciality from conjuration to
          > something else? I chose conjuration because i wanted
          > to be a summoner expert... but i didn't know that
          > things you summoned didn't show up until your NEXT
          > round. (i don't think we've done it that way before,
          > but Peter's right, that's how it should be done)
          > This REALLY weakens a summoner, in my opinion, and
          > i'd rather not be a conjuration expert as a result.
          > If it's ok with you, i'd like to pick another school
          > of magic, i'm thinking illusion, but i'm not sure. I
          > briefly had an illusionist months ago, that we only
          > went through one dungeon with, but it was fun. I
          > don't think we even hit level 2, so maybe i'd like
          > to go with that. If that's ok with you, of course.
          > Thanks,
          > Michael
          >
          > John <psybertrack@ comcast.net> wrote:
          > for simplicity lets say a
          > a dagger is 6 inches to 18 inches.
          > shortsword is 2 feet or less
          > longsword is 3 feet long .
          > a bastard sword is 5 feet long.
          > a great sword is 7 feet
          > and a full sword is 8 feet

          Be a better friend, newshound, and

        • John
          Message 4 of 12 , May 2, 2008
            1. How are we doing HP per level?

            For first level, maximum for your class.
            I know , mike , you have no class, but your wizard gets 4 hp plus
            con bonus and any for toad familiar or toughnesss feat.
            all levels after 1st get 1/2 the HD +1. Barbarians get 7 per level,
            Fighters get 6 per level, Clerics, Druids &Monks get 5 per level,
            Rogues get 4 per level and Sorcerers and Wizards get 3 per level.
            So a 2nd level Wiz usually has 7 hp. A 3rd level wizard usually has
            10hp.ect.
            Clerics 8 at first, 13, at second, 18 at 3rd level, etc.

            2. Can i change my speciality?

            According to the rules No. But since your still level 1 I'll give you
            a special dm's pass to do it this one time. Change it.

            Also : Summoners always work that way according to phb, but I never
            said anything because if the DM gave us a break (even if it was me) I
            didn't care. The Summoner is strong not weak. You just suck at first
            level. At 15th level the monster stays a while.
          • John
            Message 5 of 12 , May 2, 2008
              You are wrong on only one thing. everything. ha, ha, just kidding.
              First :it is 3.0,not 3.5 no matter when it came out.
              the size upgrades for damage chart clearly shows this.
              Compare to the one in the PHB and DMG.
              But nevertheless, you are right. I will let the full blade in my 3.5
              game. It's not a problem for it to do 2d8 damage or if the player
              uses enlarge self while holding it, 3d8 damage, as long as the player
              character uses it 2handed and has used up a exotic weapon proficiency
              feat appropriate to that type of weapon. In my game its just a larger
              version of bastard sword (but still bigger than a medium creature's
              greatsword). So I guess when Pifil the Woodelf (who uses a greatsword)
              looks at Tabeena's bigger full blade, he has "sword-envy!" ;)

              The confusion comes in with heavy full blade in the book "MAGIC OF
              FAERUN", the full blade description in "SWORD AND FIST" errata p.72,
              and in "ARMS AND EQUIPMENT" in the first 7 pages somewhere.
              They give different info in different sources.

              The implication of the core 3.5 books is that the full blade is a
              specific name for the generic Large size creature's greatsword or
              bastard sword. But you have to use the 3.5 system for size upgrade
              and damage upgrade.

              Later , The Complete Warrior came out in 3.5. This book and the PH2
              clearly leave out those old school weapons we love like the full
              blade. If the full blade was intended to be used in 3.5 by medium
              characters that book absolutely would have mentioned it(The complete
              warrior).
              Late PHB II , certainly would have included the full blade since it
              has the theme of how to max out your pc's. but it doesn't mention
              full blades at all.

              That being said "frak em" in our home game we allow lots of stuff not
              common in the stricter games. So Kobars, Mercurial Greatsword, and
              adamantine full blades are all ok with me. I allow a little bending
              of the rules in favor of the players and in fun.

              speaking of house rules:
              1.) we allow the RPGA D&d cards
              2) At 1st-3rd level you can only uses 1 per game night per pc.
              3) one such card is second wind card. Its can be used only 1 time per
              night per character. If you are attacked and damaged and
              have -1 to -9 hit points; declare "second wind" and you automatically
              stabilize . Roll a six sided dice and you get back that many hit
              points.
              4) if you are reduced to negative hit points, you are considered
              comatose but still alive up to -15 hit points. When you have -16 hit
              points worse your character "dies"
              5.)there are sometimes favors or tokens given out that allow a
              reroll, a changed action or a second chance. The player must have the
              appropriate token. Some people for instance may have the gold pirate
              coin from my game in 2006.
              6.)show your rolls. keeps all honest which is fair.
              7.)roll once for initiative for all battles at begining of session.
              8.)if you play a spell caster, write down your daily choices of
              spells on a paper or sheet as applicable and read how those spells
              work so you know in combat. Have the book or a copy of all unusuall
              spells not in the Spell compendium or PHB. Be aware of revised spells.

              John

              --- In Critical20@yahoogroups.com, Peter Nunes <gamer@...> wrote:

              > The fullblade is listed in the Arms and Equipment Guide, which came
              out
              > 2 months prior to the players handbook 3.5. they obviously intended
              the
              > contents of that book to be usable in the 3.5 rules, or they would
              have
              > just waited 2 months and released one after the players handbook.
              as
              > far as the feats, she does have exotic weapon proficiency, and the
              > description states that a medium size character can wield it
              without
              > monkey grip, which was first introduced in sword and fist along
              with
              > this weapon, or similar feats. See you guys on friday.
              >
              > Peter
              >

              > On Apr 30, 2008, at 1:33 PM, John wrote:
              >
              > > for simplicity lets say a
              > > a dagger is 6 inches to 18 inches.
              > > shortsword is 2 feet or less
              > > longsword is 3 feet long .
              > > a bastard sword is 5 feet long.
              > > a great sword is 7 feet
              > > and a full sword is 8 feet
              > >

              > __________________________
              > Peter Nunes III
              > Analytical Dreams
              > (510)-676-2692
              > http://www.analyticaldreams.com

            • John
              Message 6 of 12 , May 2, 2008
                "Full Blade" (sword) cost 100 gp; damage 2d8;
                critical 19-20,x2; weight:23 pounds, 6 to 8 feet long

                see the books "The Arms And Equipment Guide" and
                in "Sword And Fist" (which is corrected in the erratta). There might
                be a heavy fullblade made of gold in the Magic Of Faerun book too.

                In the Sword & Fist errata, "p. 72, Fullblade. Replace text with:
                Fullblade: A fullblade is18 inches longer than a greatsword, and is
                too large for a Medium-size creature to use at all. A Large creature
                could use the fullblade with one hand, but would suffer the standard –
                4 nonproficiency penalty to its attack rolls, or with two hands as a
                martial weapon. A Large creature with the Exotics Weapon proficiency
                could use the fullblade in one hand with no penalty. A fullblade is
                also called an ogre's"

                In Arms & Equipment, p. 7, "A fullblade is 18 inches longer than a
                greatsword and is too large for a Medium-size creature to use with
                two hands without special training; thus, it is is an exotic weapon.
                (Medium-size creatures cannot use a fullblade one-handed at all.)

                In 3.0 it was basically a "large greatsword".

                In 3.5 it is basically a "large bastard sword" or a
                large greatsword.
                also called:
                Zwiehander sword, clayemoore, biehander, hand-and-a-half sword, Ogres
                greatsword,and a dozen more others.
                In 3.5, they allow in the DMG for the sun blade. It looks like
                and damages like a bastard sword, but it can be used by anybody who
                can use a shortword, or who has proficiency in shortsword. Even a
                halfling could wield a medium creature's sunsword. (to him it would
                be a longsword in relative size) and it would do damage as a medium
                creature's bastard sword. That's 2 size upgrades. So if that's
                allowed. It seems ok to me that you allow the full blade for and elf
                if the elf has Ex. W. P.:full blade feat and uses it 2 handed. I'd
                assume that you have to be at least strong enough to hold 23 pounds
                in your hands.
                Here's an example of use . the fighter with strength of 20 has some
                feats including exotic weapon proficiency: full blade
                the user has improved critical hit: full blade feat, wears boots of
                speed to give him the extra hasted attack,
                has weapon focus, weapon specialization and great cleave. At 6th
                level a fighter gets 2 attacks. with haste, 3 attacks. You are an elf
                surrounded by 4 orcs with great axes. Your strength 20 elf hits orc#1
                with a Masterwork full blade, confirmed critical hit, power attack 1.
                You roll damage:2d8+11 +2d8+11 or 4d8+22. range of damage 26 to 54
                points: average damage =38 points of damage: : Orc#1 drops; cleave on
                to Orc #2: you hit again, not a critical, 2d8+11, you roll maximum
                damage, 32 points: Orc #2 drops; great cleave on to Orc#3, you roll
                minimum damage, 26, Orc#3 is still hanging on to life; your second
                attack, you hit;
                you do average damage and kill Orc #3. You use your hasted attack on
                Orc #4, and hit, doing high damage and killing orc #4. 4 bugbears
                try to surround him. You activate your belt of elarge person spell.
                You are now a large creature and (with power attack 1) your sword
                does 3d8 base damage + 11 (minimum damage 14, maximum damage 35,
                average damage 23.)... You can see how using more power attack or
                other feats to add damage would do even more .

                So anybody who wants to change their feats to use a Kobar, a
                mercurial bastard sword or a full blade can change their sheet. The
                problem is the price of the weapon is probably more than any 1rst
                level characters could afford. You'll be able to afford one after the
                700 gp. I gave you for last week, but you'll need to go shopping in a
                town. Or pay Tarreena to make one for you.

                In real life the Full Blade is 5 foot 9 inches from tip to end.
                It is called the "Slaughter Sword" or "Lowlander Sword", and is from
                16th Century Scotland. It was a balanced blade . The blade portion
                was 4 feet long. It was a
                weapon of choice of Scottish mercenaries.

                Did ya ever see Braveheart?

                John
              • Regina Buchanan
                Message 7 of 12 , May 2, 2008
                  JOHN IF YOU ARE GOING TO KEEP ON ABOUT THE FUCKING
                  SWORD, THEN I WONT PLAY.

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 2, 2008
                    you only had to ask.
                    I thought it would be interesting to everybody. I didn't intend to
                    offend anybody.
                    What did I do that was so bad?
                    Play if you want to not cause you think you have to.
                  • michael Rowland
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 3, 2008
                      Rules for Michael's game...

                      In an effort to facilitate the most enjoyable gameing experience for all parties involved, I have a few guidelines I would like to both share with the new people, and remind the veterans.

                      Guideline 1:
                      Only gamers at the table. Those not directly involved in the game can sit on a couch in the back, watch a movie in my room, or diddle themselves in the bathroom, whatever. Regina, I know sometimes you want to play, and sometimes you don't. If you want to play, great, if not, that's fine. But if you don't WANT to, i don't want you too. Let me know. I am going to assume you are playing unless you tell me otherwise.

                      Guideline 2:
                      I attempt to create an enriching and involving story when I DM. And while I do enjoy combat, 1 round of combat will not take 15 minutes to resolve. When it is your inititive, you take center stage, and have your chance to shine, but do so in a timely manner. If there are 4 other people talking/yelling when you're trying to do your thing, I'll do my best to take care of it. "Suddenly the skies open and lightning strikes whoever, that's 7d8 damage...."

                      Guideline 3:
                      There are those at the table who know the rules better than I. If i make a rules error, feel free to point it out, and I'll make a decision on how things play out.

                      Guideline 4:
                      The table is to be clear of an excess of crap. Die rolls are open for all to see, including mine. (except for maybe a few)

                      Guideline 5:
                      I reserve the right to create new guidlines on the fly....

                      Happy gaming.... PATHETIC WORMS!
                      Michael
                      DM