G CRIC to fly

  • Robin.stoddartstones@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 7, 2001
      After two years in repair following a 'small' takeoff incident G CRIC
      is now repaired and awaiting flight testing.

      There were several lessons learned from the incident.
      1) Don't use a grass runway unless it is baked dry.
      2) Don't push on when you know you ought to stop
      3) Don't over rotate, when the elevator gets authority it gets a lot!
      4) The aircraft is fragile, minor incidents are difficult and
      expensive to rectify. The damage is out of proportion to the incident.
      5) Here in UK the main problem was getting information and approval
      for the different materials or acquiring the manufactured parts.
      Klegecell-3 months(used Klegecell-R) Canopy - 12 months etc.
      6) I had to use professional repairers (insurance demanded). They
      said it was the most difficult, time consuming and complex aircraft
      structure they had ever had....and they had had a lot. They don't
      want to touch another one!

      Have Fun!
      Robin
    • Joel Ventura
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 7, 2001
        Robin:
        Can you give more details about the accident, and why do you recommend
        not using grass. Thanks. --Joel
      • Sandy Cameron
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 7, 2001
          Interested in your comments on 'Elevator authority' --
          The Trim Control has the Rubber Band bunch either side. Michel Colomban
          gives a definitive amount to add. The aim of the game is to add a bit more -
          initially -- to curb over control. Once you get used to it -- you can take
          some off - gradually till you reach 'the best controllable amount'.
          The faster she goes the lighter the controls says Michel.
          Regards and good luck -- Sandy Cameron.
          > After two years in repair following a 'small' takeoff incident G CRIC
          > is now repaired and awaiting flight testing.
          >
          > There were several lessons learned from the incident.
          > 1) Don't use a grass runway unless it is baked dry.
          > 2) Don't push on when you know you ought to stop
          > 3) Don't over rotate, when the elevator gets authority it gets a lot!
          > 4) The aircraft is fragile, minor incidents are difficult and
          > expensive to rectify. The damage is out of proportion to the incident.
          > 5) Here in UK the main problem was getting information and approval
          > for the different materials or acquiring the manufactured parts.
          > Klegecell-3 months(used Klegecell-R) Canopy - 12 months etc.
          > 6) I had to use professional repairers (insurance demanded). They
          > said it was the most difficult, time consuming and complex aircraft
          > structure they had ever had....and they had had a lot. They don't
          > want to touch another one!
          >
          > Have Fun!
          > Robin

        • Sandy Cameron
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 7, 2001
            Michel Colomban once wrote a letter in answer to a question about Cri-Cri's
            on grass --"quite a few fly off grass airfields in France. Just watch that
            the grass is smooth and short "

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 8, 2001
              --- In CriCri@y..., Joel Ventura <ventura@b...> wrote:
              > Robin:
              > Can you give more details about the accident, and why do
              you recommend
              > not using grass. Thanks. --Joel

              The accident details were published by the CAA as an accident report.
              It was a case of push-on itis in unsuitable conditions.

              A contributing factor was a wet airfield with a soft surface. The
              aircraft had an extended run ( over 200 yards and still not reached
              flying speed). However the ground was also bumpy. Most grass fields
              are when viewed from a CriCri.

              The longer you spend in the transition area, neither firmly on the
              ground, nor freely in the air, the more opportunity there is for
              something to go wrong. In a bumpy aircraft, involuntary control
              inputs can be expected. AS the manual says, flea skipping is not
              recommended. I had closed the thottles but momentum, a bump,
              involuntary control movement and whoops, here comes the evitable.

              Have Fun
              Robin.