Re: Mods and info

  • loren@shocking.cc
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1 1:21 AM
      Vic,

      Actually I am in San Diego, I just happen to have a .cc domain.
      The .cc domains are not very popular but work world wide just
      like .com .org and .net as well as more.

      Does anybody have a list of materials used in construction? The
      manual says that at the end of part 2 there is the "what flies" parts
      list but my manual doesn't have that. I have been spending a lot of
      time making a list of stuff and the required stock but it seems to be
      a long process. The next step is deciding how to lay out all the
      parts on the sheets of the .5 .8 and other sizes and pick the best
      way to have as little waste as possible. Has anybody done this and
      recorded it? Also what about the extrusions "L" and "T", how much is
      needed in each size? On Aircraft Spruce's web site (don't have the
      catalog yet) the extrusions are not cheap and it would be nice to not
      buy too much extra. I guess it's time to sit with the plans some
      more.

      What other supliers do you sugest other than Aircraft Spruce and
      Specialty?

      My workshop might be almost ready this weekend so I might get started
      very soon. Just as soon as I place my first order for stuff and it
      gets here.

      What ever came of the video on the Cricket that was mentioned a while
      back. Has that ever surfaced and if so, what do I need to do to get
      a copy?

      Thanks,
      Loren

      --- In CriCri@y..., Victor Asp <victor.asp@h...> wrote:
      > Hi Loren,
      >
      > At least you have a set of plans. The plans you have are probably
      the
      > same ones the rest of us have, ie. there have been no changes
      except for
      > a new engine.
      >
      > I checked out your email address and it shows you are from the
      Keeling
      > Islands, way off the west coast of Australia. Wow, can you get
      aircraft
      > materials there?
      >
      > Good Luck,
      > Vic
      >
      > Loren wrote:
      > >
      > > I just found Victor's web site and the link to the group here. I
      have
      > > looked for any info on the Cricket online for the last few years
      but
      > > haven't found anything until now. Don't know how I missed it but
      hey,
      > > "I once was lost..."
      > >
      > > This made me decide to dig my plans out and dust them off and try
      > > convince them to lay flat (been rolled up for about 10 years
      now). Where
      > > can I find any required updates to the plans and any interesting
      mods? I
      > > purchaced these plans from Zenair but am not sure if there are any
      > > problems with the plans due to the normaly poor opinion of the
      Zenair
      > > Crickets here on the list. I'm trying to find a place to start
      building
      > > but don't want to buy or build anything until I figure out what
      changes
      > > need to be made.
      > >
      > > I spent a couple of days reading through the entire group archive
      and
      > > there is a lot of cool info except for the "source" of any
      official
      > > updates.
      > >
      > > Due to work and school and all that, I have been out of the
      flying game
      > > for a long time so I might have to re-learn how but, it's only a
      > > lot of rust.
      > >
      > > I look forward to getting to know the people here and getting a
      little
      > > help here from time to time and I will let you all know my web
      site with a
      > > running status of the build. That's gonna be a while before
      there is
      > > enough to show but it's something to shoot for.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Loren Jordan
      > >

      > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • Victor Asp
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1 9:25 PM
        Hi Loren,

        Well, being in San Diego should make things alot easier.

        The best list of materials can be gotten from the parts list in the
        corner of each drawing. I do have a parts list from a Cricri kit, but
        that pretty much mirrors the same info. I'll have to look for the "What
        Flies" to see what that is.

        As for concerving the Al sheet I guess I haven't been very neat about
        it. I figure that I spend more time trying to get the parts right than
        conserving material. The "L" extrusion is what I have just ordered the
        large (thicker) size (3/4" x 3/4" x 1/16" or 19mm x 19mm x 1.6mm). As
        for the "T" extrusion I just bought some bar stock and had a local
        machinist mill it down to the "T" shape I needed. I usually put in an
        order for $100 - $200 each time I order and it takes a while before I
        burn through all that Al sheet and extrusion.

        Take a look at a copy of some trade magazines for more vendors. You may
        even find some good local sources and save on shipping time.

        If your talking about the construction video, I have only heard the
        rumor and have never seen it. There are alot of photos of the
        construction and some videos of flying examples.

        Vic