Wheels and Brakes

  • Victor Asp
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2 10:20 PM
      I was searching for wheels and brakes today. Is any one planning to use
      hydraulic brakes? I have heard that the drum brakes are not very good.
      Check out www.magura.com and look at the Gustav. These are hydraulic
      disc brakes for a high performance tandem bike. Since the tandem bike
      should come in at a weight just under 400 lbs that matches the CriCri
      pretty well. Now to see if they can be added to a 5 inch Azusalite
      wheel (www.azusa.com).

      Does any one have any other solutions?

      Later,
      Vic
    • Chris Willis
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 8 4:39 AM
        We are planning to use the hand cart style two piece spun aluminium wheel,
        with an alloy hub turned up on a lathe. As for brakes, the bicycle option
        looks the best, but will use the cable operated type, as they're about half
        the cost of the hydraulic type and will be amply powerful enough for the
        Cricri. The handcart wheels are 4 inch, as against the 3 inch wheels in the
        plans, and Michel Colomban has given the OK to use 4 inch wheels, which
        should have the advantage of being able to use grass runways. You're right
        about the drum brakes, they are tiny and would only just (if at all) hold
        the plane still at takeoff power! As for the nosewheel, several plastic
        types are available in 4 inch which should do nicely.
        Good building
        Chris
        > I was searching for wheels and brakes today. Is any one planning to use
        > hydraulic brakes? I have heard that the drum brakes are not very good.
        > Check out www.magura.com and look at the Gustav. These are hydraulic
        > disc brakes for a high performance tandem bike. Since the tandem bike
        > should come in at a weight just under 400 lbs that matches the CriCri
        > pretty well. Now to see if they can be added to a 5 inch Azusalite
        > wheel (www.azusa.com).
        >
        > Does any one have any other solutions?
        >
        > Later,
        > Vic

      • Victor Asp
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 9 7:14 PM
          Are these wheels available commercially? What about tires? I like the
          simple design of your wheels but I don't know where to go to find them.
          I am hoping to find a used set of brakes from mountain bike. It is
          worth looking for. I have decided not to go too cheap in some areas.
          Crashing would ruin your day.

          Chris Willis wrote:

          > We are planning to use the hand cart style two piece spun aluminium wheel,
          > with an alloy hub turned up on a lathe. As for brakes, the bicycle option
          > looks the best, but will use the cable operated type, as they're about half
          > the cost of the hydraulic type and will be amply powerful enough for the
          > Cricri. The handcart wheels are 4 inch, as against the 3 inch wheels in the
          > plans, and Michel Colomban has given the OK to use 4 inch wheels, which
          > should have the advantage of being able to use grass runways. You're right
          > about the drum brakes, they are tiny and would only just (if at all) hold
          > the plane still at takeoff power! As for the nosewheel, several plastic
          > types are available in 4 inch which should do nicely.
          > Good building
          > Chris

        • Chris Willis
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 11 12:11 AM
            The wheels are commercially available, easy to find in steel, just look at
            any hand trolley you see while cartons are being unloaded.... They are also
            available in alloy, may take a little research though! I haven't tested the
            difference in weight, but guess you could use steel with perhaps a few
            lightening holes.

            Tyres are also easy to come by for this size, but I think ideally those with
            just the straight grooved tread pattern rather than the fancy block designs
            etc. would create less drag. I have a photo of the wheel bits which Nev Hay
            has used on his Cricri, will try to copy it to digital and post it on this
            site. He's using gokart calipers and discs made from circular saw blades,
            but would like to change to pushbike type eventually. If you go to a bike
            shop and try the mechanical type discs, you'll be amazed at the power! I
            have taken measurements of the hubs, will produce a drawing for them if
            you're interested.
            Chris

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 29 3:53 PM
              I have done some more research for wheels. I discovered that the type
              of wheel we are looking for may be found on a "Scooter". Locally this
              scooter is a chair with 3 or 4 wheels, electric motor and a large
              battery. It is intended for older persons who can't walk long distances
              but can walk. This website I found locally will show what I mean,
              www.caremedical.com. I will be visiting this company soon to see what
              the wheels look like.

              Vic