Build Times

  • gnwbr
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 3, 2011
      Happy New Year,

      I see build time estimates of 2000 - 3000 overall the CriCri. Could anyone with some CriCri build experience provide a rough break down of the time. I.E. how much time for: fuse, wings, tail, etc.

      Thanks,

      Gene
    • Corey Renner

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 3, 2011
          On 1/3/2011 2:54 PM, gnwbr wrote:

          Happy New Year,

          I see build time estimates of 2000 - 3000 overall the CriCri. Could anyone with some CriCri build experience provide a rough break down of the time. I.E. how much time for: fuse, wings, tail, etc.

          Thanks,

          Gene

          The claimed build time for the Zenair Cricket (the  kit version of the CriCri) was 500 hours.  But then if you want to live to fly another day, you have to spend more time undoing some of the design changes that Chris Heintz made in the kit.  The most important one is to throw out the supplied flapperon linkage, and fabricate and install the one in the CriCri plans.  --Joel
        • Mad Rocket Scientist
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 3, 2011
            But it does have twice the parts count of other airplanes twice its
            size. A small part can also take just as long to make as a part that is
            larger but a similar shape. Its really a plane for those who like
            building.

            Shannon.

            --- In CriCri@yahoogroups.com, Corey Renner <vandal968@...> wrote:

            > I continue to be shocked by how long it takes to build a cri cri. It
            seems
            > like since it's only 1/4 of an airplane, it should only take 1/4 of
            the time
            > to build.
            >

            > On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 12:54 PM, gnwbr gm.intr@... wrote:
            >
            > > Happy New Year,
            > >
            > > I see build time estimates of 2000 - 3000 overall the CriCri. Could
            anyone
            > > with some CriCri build experience provide a rough break down of the
            time.
            > > I.E. how much time for: fuse, wings, tail, etc.
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > >
            > > Gene

          • Mad Rocket Scientist
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 3, 2011
              Back in the days of small cheap aircraft (bd5:-/) kit build times were notorious for being grossly underestimated. Mentioning 2000 hours scared people off then and still does now. You begin a journey of 1000 miles by taking one step, and then another.... eventually you will get there. If you don't want to build one they come up for sale every now and again.

              Shannon.

              --- In CriCri@yahoogroups.com, Joel Ventura <ventura@...> wrote:

              > On 1/3/2011 2:54 PM, gnwbr wrote:
              > >
              > > Happy New Year,
              > >
              > > I see build time estimates of 2000 - 3000 overall the CriCri. Could
              > > anyone with some CriCri build experience provide a rough break down of
              > > the time. I.E. how much time for: fuse, wings, tail, etc.
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > >
              > > Gene
              > >
              > The claimed build time for the Zenair Cricket (the kit version of the
              > CriCri) was 500 hours. But then if you want to live to fly another day,
              > you have to spend more time undoing some of the design changes that
              > Chris Heintzmade in the kit. The most important one is to throw out the
              > supplied flapperon linkage, and fabricate and install the one in the
              > CriCri plans. --Joel

            • gnwbr
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 3, 2011
                Thanks for the reply Shannon,

                Have you built a CriCri? Where are the majority of the small parts you refer to? Are they in the wings, tail and controls? Or does the main fuselage have a good number also?

                I rebuilt a rather simple gyroplane, and even with that found that when you're 90% you still have about 90% left to do. ;)

                Thanks,

                Gene

                --- In CriCri@yahoogroups.com, "Mad Rocket Scientist" <madrocketscientist@...> wrote:

                > But it does have twice the parts count of other airplanes twice its
                > size. A small part can also take just as long to make as a part that is
                > larger but a similar shape. Its really a plane for those who like
                > building.
                >
                > Shannon.
                >
                > --- In CriCri@yahoogroups.com, Corey Renner vandal968@ wrote:
                > >
                > > I continue to be shocked by how long it takes to build a cri cri. It
                > seems
                > > like since it's only 1/4 of an airplane, it should only take 1/4 of
                > the time
                > > to build.
                > >

                > > On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 12:54 PM, gnwbr gm.intr@ wrote:
                > >
                > > > Happy New Year,
                > > >
                > > > I see build time estimates of 2000 - 3000 overall the CriCri. Could
                > anyone
                > > > with some CriCri build experience provide a rough break down of the
                > time.
                > > > I.E. how much time for: fuse, wings, tail, etc.
                > > >
                > > > Thanks,
                > > >
                > > > Gene

              • Mad Rocket Scientist
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 3, 2011
                  The small parts are everywhere, check out my build thread here
                  http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/light-stuff-area/5622-cricri-mc\
                  -15-nz.html

                  I have most of the parts made but have yet to begin final assembly.

                  Shannon.

                  --- In CriCri@yahoogroups.com, "gnwbr" <gm.intr@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks for the reply Shannon,
                  >
                  > Have you built a CriCri? Where are the majority of the small parts you
                  > refer to? Are they in the wings, tail and controls? Or does the main
                  > fuselage have a good number also?
                  >
                  > I rebuilt a rather simple gyroplane, and even with that found that
                  when
                  > you're 90% you still have about 90% left to do. [;)]
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Gene
                  >
                  > --- In CriCri@yahoogroups.com, "Mad Rocket Scientist"
                  > madrocketscientist@ wrote:
                  > >
                  > > But it does have twice the parts count of other airplanes twice its
                  > > size. A small part can also take just as long to make as a part that
                  > is
                  > > larger but a similar shape. Its really a plane for those who like
                  > > building.
                  > >
                  > > Shannon.
                  > >
                  > > --- In CriCri@yahoogroups.com, Corey Renner vandal968@ wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I continue to be shocked by how long it takes to build a cri cri.
                  > It
                  > > seems
                  > > > like since it's only 1/4 of an airplane, it should only take 1/4
                  of
                  > > the time
                  > > > to build.

                  > Could
                  > > anyone
                  > the
                  > > time.

                • gnwbr
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 4, 2011
                    Thanks for pointing me to your build thread. Impressive!! I've only read the first few pages as I have to get some things done now, but will definitely read it all. :)

                    Two questions,  (perhaps they get answered later in your build thread) What CNC machine are you using? How much does the completed wing weigh?

                    Many Thanks!!!

                  • Christian von Delius
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 4, 2011
                      Shannon-
                      If you would, I have lost the link to the blog where you detail all the mods you did during setup of your Excitech router table. Would you mind posting that again? It is such a wealth of information.
                      -Christian

                      --        www.BrilliantDesignOnline.com
                      Solidworks Design & CNC Plasma Cutting

                               -a division of-
                      www.AlpineWorldwide.com
                             "We build ideas.."

                    • Mad Rocket Scientist
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 4, 2011
                        Christian,

                        It is in my build thread somewhere... but I wont make you trawl through
                        all that.

                        http://www.cnczone.com/forums/excitech_routers/56099-remaincnc_nz_excite\
                        ch_1530_router.html

                        Cheers,

                        Shannon.

                        --- In CriCri@yahoogroups.com, Christian von Delius
                        <alpineglobalprivate@...> wrote:

                        > Shannon-
                        > If you would, I have lost the link to the blog where you detail all
                        the mods
                        > you did during setup of your Excitech router table. Would you mind
                        posting
                        > that again? It is such a wealth of information.
                        > -Christian
                        >
                        > -- www.BrilliantDesignOnline.com
                        > Solidworks Design & CNC Plasma Cutting
                        >
                        > -a division of-
                        > www.AlpineWorldwide.com
                        > "We build ideas.."
                        >

                        > On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 07:32, gnwbr gm.intr@... wrote:
                        >

                        > > Thanks for pointing me to your build thread. Impressive!! I've only
                        read
                        > > the first few pages as I have to get some things done now, but will
                        > > definitely read it all. [image: :)]
                        > >
                        > > Two questions, (perhaps they get answered later in your build
                        thread) What
                        > > CNC machine are you using? How much does the completed wing weigh?
                        > >
                        > > Many Thanks!!!
                        > >

                        > > Gene
                        > >
                        > > --- In CriCri@yahoogroups.com, "Mad Rocket Scientist"
                        madrocketscientist@
                        > > wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > The small parts are everywhere, check out my build thread here

                        http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/light-stuff-area/5622-cricri-mc\
                        \<http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/light-stuff-area/5622-cricri-\
                        mc%5C>
                        > > > -15-nz.html
                        > > >
                        > > > I have most of the parts made but have yet to begin final
                        assembly.

                        > > > Shannon.

                        > > > when

                        > > > of

                        CriCri.

                      • Mad Rocket Scientist
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 4, 2011
                          Hi Gene,

                          My CNC is here
                          http://www.cnczone.com/forums/excitech_routers/56099-remaincnc_nz_excite\
                          ch_1530_router.html

                          The wing panels weigh something laround 6kg, but as I don't have any
                          completed I am quoting this from memory. I Think I have seen it in a
                          pirep somewhere. Hopefully someone with a completed CriCri will chime in
                          and let us know. I would think a painted wing would be measurably
                          heavier.

                          \
                          > \
                          > > -15-nz.html
                          > >
                          > > I have most of the parts made but have yet to begin final assembly.
                          > >
                          > > Shannon.
                          > >
                          > > --- In CriCri@yahoogroups.com, "gnwbr" gm.intr@ wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Thanks for the reply Shannon,
                          > > >
                          > > > Have you built a CriCri? Where are the majority of the small parts
                          > you
                          > > > refer to? Are they in the wings, tail and controls? Or does the
                          main
                          > > > fuselage have a good number also?
                          > > >
                          > > > I rebuilt a rather simple gyroplane, and even with that found that
                          > > when
                          > > > you're 90% you still have about 90% left to do. [;)]
                          > > >
                          > > > Thanks,
                          > > >
                          > > > Gene
                          > > >
                          > > > --- In CriCri@yahoogroups.com, "Mad Rocket Scientist"

                          > its
                          > that
                          > > > is

                          > cri.
                          > > > It
                          > > of

                          CriCri.
                          > > > Could
                          > of
                          > > > the

                        • Christian von Delius
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 4, 2011
                            Thanks Shannon-
                            My primary laptop with all my favorites died last month, so I don't have all my bookmarks.
                            I am working on my CNC now in my spare time.

                            On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 16:14, Mad Rocket Scientist <madrocketscientist@...> wrote:

                            Christian,

                            It is in my build thread somewhere... but I wont make you trawl through
                            all that.

                            http://www.cnczone.com/forums/excitech_routers/56099-remaincnc_nz_excite\
                            ch_1530_router.html

                            Cheers,

                            Shannon.

                            --- In CriCri@yahoogroups.com, Christian von Delius

                            <alpineglobalprivate@...> wrote:

                            > Shannon-
                            > If you would, I have lost the link to the blog where you detail all
                            the mods
                            > you did during setup of your Excitech router table. Would you mind
                            posting
                            > that again? It is such a wealth of information.
                            > -Christian
                            >
                            > -- www.BrilliantDesignOnline.com
                            > Solidworks Design & CNC Plasma Cutting
                            >
                            > -a division of-
                            > www.AlpineWorldwide.com
                            > "We build ideas.."
                            >

                            > On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 07:32, gnwbr gm.intr@... wrote:
                            >

                            > > Thanks for pointing me to your build thread. Impressive!! I've only
                            read
                            > > the first few pages as I have to get some things done now, but will
                            > > definitely read it all. [image: :)]
                            > >
                            > > Two questions, (perhaps they get answered later in your build
                            thread) What
                            > > CNC machine are you using? How much does the completed wing weigh?
                            > >
                            > > Many Thanks!!!
                            > >

                            > > Gene
                            > >
                            > > --- In CriCri@yahoogroups.com, "Mad Rocket Scientist"
                            madrocketscientist@
                            > > wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > The small parts are everywhere, check out my build thread here

                            http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/light-stuff-area/5622-cricri-mc\
                            \<http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/light-stuff-area/5622-cricri-\
                            mc%5C

                            > > > -15-nz.html
                            > > >
                            > > > I have most of the parts made but have yet to begin final
                            assembly.

                            > > > Shannon.

                            > > > when

                            > > > of