Re: Canopy made locally

  • Christian von Delius
    Message 1 of 29 , Aug 1, 2008
      Go Jacques!!
      you ROCK..!
      We all appreciate your efforts and I will thank you openly for the
      group!
      -Christian

      --- In CriCri@yahoogroups.com, "Jacques" <jbele051@...> wrote:

      > 850 $ for the Canopy and 163 for the rear part is bullshit, Since
      you
      > can buy the proper sheet of lexan at Aircraft Spruce for 10 $ I
      don't
      > see how someone can justify selling it a 1000% the price. Sure if
      you
      > have the mold made it will cost about 1k and low demand generally
      mean
      > high cost.
      >
      > If you are patient, I am myself building a mold here in Ontario
      for 2
      > planes and will take that to a local thermoforming shop. Basically
      > Canopy's will be made here like hot cakes. Could be ready by next
      > summer I guess. Basically I am sick of the problems people are
      > creating for this airplane and as I am building these 2 I will also
      > flood the market with cheep quality parts to return the favor !!
      >
      > Jacques

      > --- In CriCri@yahoogroups.com, "David Taylor" <wtxvets@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thank you Wayne. I see I was wrong and canopies are available
      so I
      > > will leave that until I am ready.
      > >
      > > I think it would be useful to complete the costs analysis if you
      and
      > > others are willing. We have below 11.5K but that does not cover
      some
      > > things....
      > >
      > > rest of airframe 10K?
      > > canopy 1k
      > > avionics variable 1k & up?
      > >

      > > --- In CriCri@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne/Gill Butt" <butt5@> wrote:
      > > > Re costs - close.
      > > > 8k for engines, props, exhausts, spinners, air filters etc.
      > > > 1k for outsourcing machining, water jet cutting, welding
      > > > 1.5 k for trailer
      > > > 1k for undercarriage, wing tip farings, fuel tank

    • W David Doiron
      Message 2 of 29 , Aug 1, 2008
        In <g6ul51+sab9@...>, on 08/01/08
        at 09:31 AM, "Christian von Delius" <alpineglobalprivate@...> said:

        >Go Jacques!!
        >you ROCK..!
        >We all appreciate your efforts and I will thank you openly for the
        >group!
        >-Christian

        Not so fast Quemosabe.
        Thumbing your nose in contempt at those who have already
        gone down the R&D path is risky. Brash promises based on
        erroneous presumptions seldom produce good results.
        Some of us in the group have done a little mold making
        and thermoplastic forming and it is not so simple as
        it may first appear.
        The Starplast canopies are worth every penny and
        I have been through 3 "cheep" canopies to come to
        that conclusion.
        The ROCK award will be deserved when the hotcakes
        start being available.

        >--- In CriCri@yahoogroups.com, "Jacques" <jbele051@...> wrote: >
        >>
        >> I am myself building a mold here in Ontario
        >> for 2 planes and will take that to a local thermoforming shop.
        >> Basically canopies will be made here like hotcakes.
        >> Basically I am sick of the problems people are creating for
        >> this airplane and as I am building these 2 I will also
        >> flood the market with cheep quality parts to return the favor !!
        >> Jacques

        What problems are people "creating for this airplane" ???
        Can you give an example?

        Bon chance avec votre projet.
        W David Doiron <DDoiron(at)cox(dot)net>
      • W David Doiron
        Message 3 of 29 , Aug 3, 2008

          In <g74jq3+nbg9@...>, on 08/03/08
          at 03:45 PM, "Jacques" <jbele051@...> said:

          >Remember me not to send you one once their ready

          OK, I asked you a valid question and closed with a
          courteous good luck wish.
          And all you can come up with is another insult??

          I will ask once more, and if you expect to be taken seriously
          you will give a straightforward answer without profanity
          or exaggeration:

          What problems are people "creating for this airplane"???

          merci en avance
          W David Doiron <DDoiron(at)cox(dot)net>
        • Jacques
          Message 4 of 29 , Aug 3, 2008
            How disrespectful to take the e-mail I wrote to you personally and
            send it to everyone!

            Message 5 of 29 , Aug 3, 2008
              In <g75npa+dtvl@...>, on 08/04/08
              at 01:59 AM, "Jacques" <jbele051@...> said:

              >How disrespectful to take the e-mail I wrote to you personally and send
              >it to everyone!

              To all:

              Be it known,
              1. It was my decision to settle this thread in the open since
              that was how it started, and it contained disrespectful
              comments on existing canopy makers.

              2. The e-mail in question consisted of a one line insult.

              3. Unfortunately it appears that Jacques really is a serious builder
              that simply came across as a troll.
              I misjudged.
              (having been "trolled" previously)

              4. He sent me another personal e-mail that had genuine concerns
              and was well stated without hyperbole.

              5. Anyone who wants to read Jacques list please contact him directly.
              I will not presume to distribute it.

              6. I call a truce.
              Jacques is OK; he just got off on the wrong foot.

              Message 6 of 29 , Aug 3, 2008
                I am removing myself and material from this group as a protest.

                Jacques Belec

                --- In CriCri@yahoogroups.com, "Jacques" <jbele051@...> wrote:

                > How disrespectful to take the e-mail I wrote to you personally and
                > send it to everyone!

                > > In <g74jq3+nbg9@>, on 08/03/08
                > > at 03:45 PM, "Jacques" <jbele051@> said:
                > >
                > > >Remember me not to send you one once their ready
                > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

                > > OK, I asked you a valid question and closed with a
                > > courteous good luck wish.
                > > And all you can come up with is another insult??
                > >
                > > I will ask once more, and if you expect to be taken seriously
                > > you will give a straightforward answer without profanity
                > > or exaggeration:
                > >
                > > What problems are people "creating for this airplane"???
                > >
                > > merci en avance
                > > W David Doiron <DDoiron(at)cox(dot)net>

              • William Rich
                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 16, 2008

                  Accusing another of being a "troll" is the current rage in the "blogosphere." Here is a great article that explores the "depths" of this phenomenon:

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

                  --- In CriCri@yahoogroups.com, W David Doiron <DDoiron@...> wrote

                  > 3. Unfortunately it appears that Jacques really is a serious builder

                  >     that simply came across as a troll.
                  >     I misjudged.
                  >     (having been "trolled" previously)

                • Dennis Cook
                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 16, 2008
                    Hello Gentlemen/builders on this list,

                    I accidentally stumbled on a U TUBE video of the Cri-Cri and instantly
                    became quite intrigued. Next I found some drawings, etc. on Ebay for
                    $10 that showed up yesterday. Then I found this Cri-Cri list and now
                    have a lot of reading to do if I am to pursue any ideas of
                    constructing one of these.

                    Is this a building project only for those skilled in steel
                    fabrication? Approximately how many hours are committed to the build
                    and approximately how much money involved? Any technical issues that
                    could prevent completion? Only 20 some Cri-Cri flying in the US?

                    Thanks for any insight. I am a 60 year old private pilot who is
                    looking for an interesting project that is NOT too hard to complete.

                    Dennis
                    Bothell, WA
                    USA
                  • james dalman
                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 17, 2008
                      Dear Dennis

                      this used to be a good site but now its more like the worthless set of pirate plans you got from some unscrupulous bastard on ebay.

                      I used to enjoy this site but now its nothing more than another spam avenue.

                      do yourself a big favor and use the disk you got for a coaster or a frizbee and get some real plans I know they are out there to be had because I sold a set not long ago to another member of this site

                      Message 10 of 29 , Sep 17, 2008
                        --- In CriCri@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Cook" <dennco2@...> wrote:

                        > Hello Gentlemen/builders on this list,
                        >
                        > I accidentally stumbled on a U TUBE video of the Cri-Cri and
                        instantly
                        > became quite intrigued. Next I found some drawings, etc. on Ebay for
                        > $10 that showed up yesterday. Then I found this Cri-Cri list and now
                        > have a lot of reading to do if I am to pursue any ideas of
                        > constructing one of these.
                        >
                        > Is this a building project only for those skilled in steel
                        > fabrication? Approximately how many hours are committed to the build
                        > and approximately how much money involved? Any technical issues that
                        > could prevent completion? Only 20 some Cri-Cri flying in the US?
                        >
                        > Thanks for any insight. I am a 60 year old private pilot who is
                        > looking for an interesting project that is NOT too hard to complete.
                        >
                        > Dennis
                        > Bothell, WA
                        > USA

                        this is an aluminum airplane not steel. if you want a simple plane
                        look into a jdt mini-max or a hummelbird for easy construction and a
                        quick build time. aprox 400 hrs to build either one from scratch and
                        they have good customer support. I just finished a tandem airbike in
                        560 hours but I had a lot of time in welding up the airframe. anyway
                        if you look around on this site you will see that it has turned into
                        something that it was never intended to be and there is very little
                        help or info to be had here any more, and you will have the pleasure
                        of about 50 spam mails a week from the arabs that have corrupted the
                        content of this site
                      • n656c
                        Message 11 of 29 , May 13 7:08 AM
                          For those in need of a cri cri canopy. I talked to Jeff at the Airplane Plastics Co. located in Tipp City, OH. I help start this company back in the 70's and was approached by Columban about making the cri canopy. At the time we could not but talking to Jeff he now has the tecnology to make this canopy.

                          To do this he needs a canopy, good or broken so a mold can be made. If interested Contact him at 937-669-2677.

                          Lonnie Prince
                          419-877-5557
                        • Christian von Delius
                          Message 12 of 29 , May 13 11:32 AM
                            At some point, I will be able to provide a precision 3-D solid model that can be CNC'ed out; I will also use the 2"+ height mod when I get to this step. But that is still a few months out.
                            -Christian

                          • PROPELLERS@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 29 , May 13 2:06 PM
                              Christian,

                              Airplane Plastic does not have a CNC but the company it was purchased from has a 5 axis machine with adequate working dimensions so this should not be an issue if you get involved with them.

                              http://www.princeaircraft.com

                              Lonnie Prince
                              Prince Aircraft Company
                              6774 Providence St.
                              P.O. Box 2669
                              Whitehouse, Ohio 43571
                              Tel. 419-877-5557
                              Fax 419-877-5564

                              In a message dated 5/13/2009 2:32:59 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, alpineglobalprivate@... writes:

                              At some point, I will be able to provide a precision 3-D solid model that can be CNC'ed out; I will also use the 2"+ height mod when I get to this step. But that is still a few months out.
                              -Christian

                              --- In CriCri@yahoogroups. com, "n656c" <PROPELLERS@ ...> wrote:

                              > For those in need of a cri cri canopy. I talked to Jeff at the Airplane Plastics Co. located in Tipp City, OH. I help start this company back in the 70's and was approached by Columban about making the cri canopy. At the time we could not but talking to Jeff he now has the tecnology to make this canopy.
                              >
                              > To do this he needs a canopy, good or broken so a mold can be made. If interested Contact him at 937-669-2677.
                              >
                              > Lonnie Prince
                              > 419-877-5557

                            • Christian von Delius
                              Message 14 of 29 , May 13 10:08 PM
                                Lonnie-
                                Thanks for that info. I have access to CNC equipment here locally as well, but if they are booked up when I go to mill, I will keep them in mind. I also have access to two large plastic forming ovens here locally. One is located at an aircraft mod shop I work with and produce Aztec and Apache windshields and windows.
                                -Christian

                                --        www.BrilliantDesignOnline.com
                                Solidworks Design & CNC Plasma Cutting

                                        -a division of-
                                www.AlpineWorldwide.com
                                      "We build ideas.."

                                On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 3:06 PM, <PROPELLERS@...> wrote:
                                Christian,

                                Airplane Plastic does not have a CNC but the company it was purchased from has a 5 axis machine with adequate working dimensions so this should not be an issue if you get involved with them.

                                http://www.princeaircraft.com

                                Lonnie Prince
                                Prince Aircraft Company
                                6774 Providence St.
                                P.O. Box 2669
                                Whitehouse, Ohio 43571
                                Tel. 419-877-5557
                                Fax 419-877-5564

                                In a message dated 5/13/2009 2:32:59 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, alpineglobalprivate@... writes:

                                At some point, I will be able to provide a precision 3-D solid model that can be CNC'ed out; I will also use the 2"+ height mod when I get to this step. But that is still a few months out.
                                -Christian

                                --- In CriCri@yahoogroups.com, "n656c" <PROPELLERS@...> wrote:

                                > For those in need of a cri cri canopy. I talked to Jeff at the Airplane Plastics Co. located in Tipp City, OH. I help start this company back in the 70's and was approached by Columban about making the cri canopy. At the time we could not but talking to Jeff he now has the tecnology to make this canopy.
                                >
                                > To do this he needs a canopy, good or broken so a mold can be made. If interested Contact him at 937-669-2677.
                                >
                                > Lonnie Prince
                                > 419-877-5557

                              • madrocketscientist
                                Message 15 of 29 , May 14 12:08 AM
                                  I am going to make my own canopy, I don't think it wiil be too hard and I can also source the polycarbonate locally for around $50 per molding. I will get quite a few 'tries' before I come close to what they cost commercially.

                                  Check out the file I just uploaded about how canopies are made.
                                  http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/cMELSqplDZas8eRkmtZf_O93oBuhitAwrgwMAULqWwUpnRsVe5l56vhKLEqh1YyFmFXcuDETd9wg5gTgOO7s5ZtD7uEto4Dp5sBjkKk0/Canopy%20molding.pdf

                                  Shannon (Who gets things right on the first try...mostly :-)

                                  --- In CriCri@yahoogroups.com, "Christian von Delius" <alpineglobalprivate@...> wrote:

                                  > At some point, I will be able to provide a precision 3-D solid model that can be CNC'ed out; I will also use the 2"+ height mod when I get to this step. But that is still a few months out.
                                  > -Christian
                                  >

                                  > --- In CriCri@yahoogroups.com, "n656c" <PROPELLERS@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > For those in need of a cri cri canopy. I talked to Jeff at the Airplane Plastics Co. located in Tipp City, OH. I help start this company back in the 70's and was approached by Columban about making the cri canopy. At the time we could not but talking to Jeff he now has the tecnology to make this canopy.
                                  > >
                                  > > To do this he needs a canopy, good or broken so a mold can be made. If interested Contact him at 937-669-2677.
                                  > >
                                  > > Lonnie Prince
                                  > > 419-877-5557

                                • Christian von Delius
                                  Message 16 of 29 , May 14 1:25 AM
                                    Thanks Shannon-
                                    Great article. When we make windscreens for Piper twins, even as professionals, one out of three fails. And at several hundred bucks a pop-That explains why aircraft windscreens are so expensive- alot of work when you have to pitch it for defects.
                                    So in reality, when you purchase a windscreen, you are actually buying two or three that you don't get.

                                    On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 1:08 AM, madrocketscientist <madrocketscientist@...> wrote:

                                    I am going to make my own canopy, I don't think it wiil be too hard and I can also source the polycarbonate locally for around $50 per molding. I will get quite a few 'tries' before I come close to what they cost commercially.

                                    Check out the file I just uploaded about how canopies are made.
                                    http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/cMELSqplDZas8eRkmtZf_O93oBuhitAwrgwMAULqWwUpnRsVe5l56vhKLEqh1YyFmFXcuDETd9wg5gTgOO7s5ZtD7uEto4Dp5sBjkKk0/Canopy%20molding.pdf

                                    Shannon (Who gets things right on the first try...mostly :-)

                                    --- In CriCri@yahoogroups.com, "Christian von Delius" <alpineglobalprivate@...> wrote:

                                    > At some point, I will be able to provide a precision 3-D solid model that can be CNC'ed out; I will also use the 2"+ height mod when I get to this step. But that is still a few months out.
                                    > -Christian
                                    >

                                    > --- In CriCri@yahoogroups.com, "n656c" <PROPELLERS@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > For those in need of a cri cri canopy. I talked to Jeff at the Airplane Plastics Co. located in Tipp City, OH. I help start this company back in the 70's and was approached by Columban about making the cri canopy. At the time we could not but talking to Jeff he now has the tecnology to make this canopy.
                                    > >
                                    > > To do this he needs a canopy, good or broken so a mold can be made. If interested Contact him at 937-669-2677.
                                    > >
                                    > > Lonnie Prince
                                    > > 419-877-5557

                                  • madrocketscientist
                                    Message 17 of 29 , May 14 2:21 AM
                                      I can see how the costs can mount up so fast, that is why I am inclined to DIY, what one learns from the process can be more valuable than the product, even if unsuccessful. I have made quite a few canopies before, although they were all for RC models :-)

                                      Shannon.

                                    • kr2dream@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 29 , May 21 5:44 PM
                                        Lonnie:

                                        I left a phone message for Jeff that I have a new canopy (spare) that was made from the mold that used to be in the Seattle area. The clarity is not great but the dimensions are right on.

                                        Bob Lasecki
                                        N418BL