Ashtrays

  • Ash4490886@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 1999
      Hi Vic,
      I've made a whole bunch of ashtrays myself :-) I still do but not as
      often. I've bent flanges the wrong way, forgotten to make the verticals wide
      enough to put bend the flange. Some of the frames I've built at least 3 x now
      :-} It has become a joke that I have enough parts made to make at least 1 1/2
      very crooked airplanes ;-}
      I found that I had much better success using the brake described in
      section 7.6 of the manual. I sharpen an extrusion to a fairly broad point
      with a 1mm radius ( I think). I found that using a wider slot than Colomban
      specs, about 4 mm, works much better.
      I put a C-clamp every 4 to 6 inches and still have to whack (sometimes)
      the whole mess with a mallet between the clamps, to get it to bend. It works
      great :-) For the short,small pieces I just us a piece of T-extrusion the
      appropriate length.
      I found (the hard way ;-}) that taping the part with masking tape prior
      to braking really helps get a good bend with much less waviness.
      I hope that this will be of some help to you or others if they have
      trouble braking. Don't bother with the brake on 7.3...it made me nuts :-)
      At least you are making some progress ! When I was a pup I wanted to
      build a Cri or a Christen Eagle. There has not been a week go by since the
      Cricket was available from CH and the Eagle kits were less that $10,000 that
      I have not told myself that if I had started when I wanted to, I would have
      both an Eagle and a Cri. I could have bought partial kits as I could afford
      them (I was very poor, just surviving), even just one kit every 2 years, and
      I would be flying them now....that was 20+ years ago. But I too had a family
      that demanded a lot of time and wanted it all at once or not at all....Ahhhh,
      the ignorance of youth. So just keep whackin' out parts ;-}
      Thanks to Ed for the Epinal 99/ Cricup site info...Man that's a pretty
      bird...I am re-inspired ;-) Hey Ed, got any Cri parts going yet ?
      Anyone heard anything from Jim and his Airforce?
      I have the day so I'm off to torture some aluminum and beat some parts into
      submission.

      Shoot low...They may be Crawlin ;-} Phil