Composite wing-tips

  • Rob van Duin
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 9, 2007
      Hi guys,

      Bit quiet, isn't it?

      Anyone got any particularly clever (simple) ideas when it comes to
      making composite wing-tips?

      Rob
    • Neville Hay
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 9, 2007

        Hi Rob

        The following worked well for me. Was light, easy and looked good.

        Make balsa ribs as per plan and attach to end rib.

        Fill in between with suitable foam and glue to end rib.

        Protect metal skin

        Shape and cover with fine mesh fibre glass and resin..

        Fill and paint.

        In fact it worked so well that after painting it is not possible to see any wing to tip joint and none has showed in the last five years of use.

        I have subsequently taken an couple of molds off these –just in case!!

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 9, 2007
          What has become of our lead on canopies? Seems the last I heard a kiwi
          was working with a mold (mould) and has high hopes to produce some? No
          expected price was specified?

          Thanks
          Dave Taylor
          Texas