Re: [CriCri] saved from scrap

  • W David Doiron
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 1 7:52 AM
      In <eps3nk+44td@...>, on 02/01/07
      at 07:09 AM, "acsptrainer" <acsptrainer@...> said:

      >Hi All
      >I have recently saved a cri cri from the scrap heap.
      >Q Is there a standard place for stamping the kit/serial number ?
      >Cal
      No, sorry.

      Where did you find it?

      Is there ANY trace of N-number?

      Who were the previous owners?

      Do some detective work with the scrap place and maybe
      the ancestry can be sussed out.

      Good luck...David
      W David Doiron <DDoiron@...>
    • acsptrainer
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 1 10:18 AM
        > Where did you find it?
        If i get the story straight it was flown here (unknown date)abandoned
        for x years in a compound then given to an club who left it under a
        portacabin for Y years then ended up at the aeronautical engineering
        school where i teach and last week while cleaning out the hangar the
        the boss said dump it so I did in my garage.

        > Is there ANY trace of N-number?
        I still have to remove years of acumulated grime but if there is any
        was to post pics (looking tonight)you will see there is no exterior
        paint so if there is no ident on the airframe I am stuffed as far as
        history goes there was a 1/4 inch steel plate bolted to the bottom for
        plinth mounting when this happened I dont know.

        cal
      • lazyav8tr
        Message 3 of 23 , May 3, 2011
          I've just become the new owner of the only flying Cri Cri in Canada. It's been a long term dream of mine to own one ever since the late '70s when I first read about it. When I saw the ad I just had to see it, and when I saw it had to buy it. It's the one in the AOPA video and magazine cover.

          http://www.aopa.org/aopalive/?watch=phb3B3MTpNDVSQpZE16qEg-1ys-d_712

          It'll be a few days to complete inspection and paperwork before I can fly it, so any feedback would be appreciated.

          Jim
        • lazyav8tr
          Message 4 of 23 , May 3, 2011
            I'm familiar with the Zenair episode in the CriCri's history and this A/C has been corrected back to the Colomban control system and has been extensively tested right up to Vne. I've read the sad tale of the "tuning fork" Zenair controls. I had actually bought a starter tail kit from Zenair back in the 80's but I decided I was a flyer, not a builder. Just as well, as it could have saved my life!

            --- In CriCri@yahoogroups.com, "lazyav8tr" <lazyav8tr@...> wrote:

            > I've just become the new owner of the only flying Cri Cri in Canada. It's been a long term dream of mine to own one ever since the late '70s when I first read about it. When I saw the ad I just had to see it, and when I saw it had to buy it. It's the one in the AOPA video and magazine cover.
            >
            > http://www.aopa.org/aopalive/?watch=phb3B3MTpNDVSQpZE16qEg-1ys-d_712
            >
            > It'll be a few days to complete inspection and paperwork before I can fly it, so any feedback would be appreciated.
            >
            > Jim

          • HAIQU_OZ
            Message 5 of 23 , May 3, 2011
              Strangely, I only just watched the AOPA video of the Smith brothers doing neat and accurate inverted rolls this afternoon. Cool airplane, you are one lucky SOB.

              There's one registered and flying in Australia (which is where I live), and I know of one being built in New Zealand and another unfinished project for sale in Australia.

              Downside is that we need a full PPL and twin rating, otherwise I'd be really tempted ...

              Rob

            • jonnybdotcom1@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 23 , May 3, 2011
                Congrats Jim!!! You will have to get some good video of it and all!! I'm quite jealous of you now... I was wanting to buy it from the smiths but ended up starting to build one.
                Have fun with it!!

                Sent from iJonny4
              • Christian
                Message 7 of 23 , May 5, 2011
                  Hi Jim-
                  Congratulations! You will be flying 5 years sooner than the rest of us builders. And in a nicely constructed, well proven plane.
                  Glad you were able to score it! We will hopefully look forward to
                  some videos, maybe even some 'boring' footage, like setting it up!
                  We are crawling through a dry CriCri desert, so we will be happy with anything! :-)
                  -Christian