New member

  • joaoduarteguimaraes
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 10, 2006
      Hello everyone,

      my name name is João Guimarães, I'm a 24 years old portuguese student
      and aviation lover since I remember being me, planning to get my
      flying license in the next year. I've been a great fan of the cricri
      since I first heard about it 7 years ago, and now I'm seriously
      thinking of building/buying one. I've just been wandering if it is
      still possible/not extremely difficult to do this. My first questions:
      is it a good choice for someone who hasn't built any aircraft before?
      Can I still easily get exclusive parts for this plane, like canopy,
      fuel tank, engines, etc?

      Thanks
    • acsptrainer
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 31, 2007
        Hi All

        I have recently saved a cri cri from the scrap heap there are lots of
        bits missing and lots of dents so I guess it will be a complete rebuild.

        I am going through the posts as and when I can and so far up to about
        250 so a long way to go.

        I will post some photos later and maybe you could identify the engine
        type for me.

        Q Is there a standard place for stamping the kit/serial number so that
        I can identify what I have and which drawing I will need to complete it?

        Cal
      • W David Doiron
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 1, 2007
          In <eps3nk+44td@...>, on 02/01/07
          at 07:09 AM, "acsptrainer" <acsptrainer@...> said:

          >Hi All
          >I have recently saved a cri cri from the scrap heap.
          >Q Is there a standard place for stamping the kit/serial number ?
          >Cal
          No, sorry.

          Where did you find it?

          Is there ANY trace of N-number?

          Who were the previous owners?

          Do some detective work with the scrap place and maybe
          the ancestry can be sussed out.

          Good luck...David
          W David Doiron <DDoiron@...>
        • acsptrainer
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 1, 2007
            > Where did you find it?
            If i get the story straight it was flown here (unknown date)abandoned
            for x years in a compound then given to an club who left it under a
            portacabin for Y years then ended up at the aeronautical engineering
            school where i teach and last week while cleaning out the hangar the
            the boss said dump it so I did in my garage.

            > Is there ANY trace of N-number?
            I still have to remove years of acumulated grime but if there is any
            was to post pics (looking tonight)you will see there is no exterior
            paint so if there is no ident on the airframe I am stuffed as far as
            history goes there was a 1/4 inch steel plate bolted to the bottom for
            plinth mounting when this happened I dont know.

            cal
          • lazyav8tr
            Message 5 of 23 , May 3 5:44 AM
              I've just become the new owner of the only flying Cri Cri in Canada. It's been a long term dream of mine to own one ever since the late '70s when I first read about it. When I saw the ad I just had to see it, and when I saw it had to buy it. It's the one in the AOPA video and magazine cover.

              http://www.aopa.org/aopalive/?watch=phb3B3MTpNDVSQpZE16qEg-1ys-d_712

              It'll be a few days to complete inspection and paperwork before I can fly it, so any feedback would be appreciated.

              Jim
            • lazyav8tr
              Message 6 of 23 , May 3 6:39 AM
                I'm familiar with the Zenair episode in the CriCri's history and this A/C has been corrected back to the Colomban control system and has been extensively tested right up to Vne. I've read the sad tale of the "tuning fork" Zenair controls. I had actually bought a starter tail kit from Zenair back in the 80's but I decided I was a flyer, not a builder. Just as well, as it could have saved my life!

                --- In CriCri@yahoogroups.com, "lazyav8tr" <lazyav8tr@...> wrote:

                > I've just become the new owner of the only flying Cri Cri in Canada. It's been a long term dream of mine to own one ever since the late '70s when I first read about it. When I saw the ad I just had to see it, and when I saw it had to buy it. It's the one in the AOPA video and magazine cover.
                >
                > http://www.aopa.org/aopalive/?watch=phb3B3MTpNDVSQpZE16qEg-1ys-d_712
                >
                > It'll be a few days to complete inspection and paperwork before I can fly it, so any feedback would be appreciated.
                >
                > Jim

              • HAIQU_OZ
                Message 7 of 23 , May 3 7:08 AM
                  Strangely, I only just watched the AOPA video of the Smith brothers doing neat and accurate inverted rolls this afternoon. Cool airplane, you are one lucky SOB.

                  There's one registered and flying in Australia (which is where I live), and I know of one being built in New Zealand and another unfinished project for sale in Australia.

                  Downside is that we need a full PPL and twin rating, otherwise I'd be really tempted ...

                  Rob

                • jonnybdotcom1@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 3 11:13 AM
                    Congrats Jim!!! You will have to get some good video of it and all!! I'm quite jealous of you now... I was wanting to buy it from the smiths but ended up starting to build one.
                    Have fun with it!!

                    Sent from iJonny4
                  • Christian
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 5 9:08 PM
                      Hi Jim-
                      Congratulations! You will be flying 5 years sooner than the rest of us builders. And in a nicely constructed, well proven plane.
                      Glad you were able to score it! We will hopefully look forward to
                      some videos, maybe even some 'boring' footage, like setting it up!
                      We are crawling through a dry CriCri desert, so we will be happy with anything! :-)
                      -Christian