Re: CriCri Wing ProfileType

  • michelcotee
    Message 1 of 11 , May 8, 2006
      Hi

      It should be
      http://www.ae.uiuc.edu/m-selig/ads/afplots/fx05188.gif
      I did not compare the exact shape but it look the same

      regards

      --- In CriCri@yahoogroups.com, "stolkiwi" <kiwibird68@...> wrote:

      > --- In CriCri@yahoogroups.com, W David Doiron <DDoiron@> wrote:
      > >
      > > In <e1mulq+hat@>, on 04/14/06
      > > at 01:42 AM, "stolkiwi" <kiwibird68@> said:
      > >
      > > >Can anyone tell me the NACA Wing profile number used on the
      CriCri
      > as
      > > >well as the cord-length please?
      > > >Cheers! Andrew
      > >

      > > Sorry, not NACA.
      > > Is Wortman.
      > >
      > > I would have to dig to get the chord.
      > > If nobody else answers, remind me.
      > >
      > > bon chance...David
      > > W David Doiron <DDoiron@>
      > >

      > Hi David,
      >
      > We're studying the wing profile of the Cricri, and comparing it to
      > the co-ordinates of more commonly known sections to try and gain a
      > better understanding of the Cri cri's interesting configuration.
      > Short of actually purchasing the plans, is there another way of
      > acquiring the co-ordinates of the Cricri Wortman section?
      >
      > Had no further info / replies on my last posting re cord length,
      > etc...
      >
      > Any leads, greatly appreciated,
      > Cheers,
      > Andrew,

    • Andrew Wallace
      Message 2 of 11 , May 9, 2006
        Excellent! Big thanks from NZ.

        Cheers,
        Andrew.

        On 09/05/06, michelcotee <michelcotee@...> wrote:
        Hi

        It should be
        http://www.ae.uiuc.edu/m-selig/ads/afplots/fx05188.gif
        I did not compare the exact shape but it look the same

        regards

        --- In CriCri@yahoogroups.com , "stolkiwi" <kiwibird68@...> wrote:

        > --- In CriCri@yahoogroups.com, W David Doiron <DDoiron@> wrote:
        > >
        > > In <e1mulq+hat@>, on 04/14/06
        > >    at 01:42 AM, "stolkiwi" <kiwibird68@> said:
        > >
        > > >Can anyone tell me the NACA Wing profile number used on the
        CriCri
        > as
        > > >well as the cord-length please?
        > > >Cheers!    Andrew
        > >

        > > Sorry, not NACA.
        > > Is Wortman.
        > >
        > > I would have to dig to get the chord.
        > > If nobody else answers, remind me.
        > >
        > > bon chance...David
        > > W David Doiron <DDoiron@>
        > >

        > Hi David,
        >
        > We're studying the wing profile of the Cricri, and comparing it to
        > the co-ordinates of more commonly known sections to try and gain a
        > better understanding of the Cri cri's interesting configuration.
        > Short of actually purchasing the plans, is there another way of
        > acquiring the co-ordinates of the Cricri Wortman section?
        >
        > Had no further info / replies on my last posting re cord length,
        > etc...
        >
        > Any leads, greatly appreciated,
        > Cheers,
        > Andrew,

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • Cricri
        Message 3 of 11 , May 10, 2006
          Hi All,

          From a layman's point of view, I imagine Michel Colomban designed his own wing airfoil as it archives a 60% laminar flow.  It would no-doubt be unique, like the Cricri.

          Regards

          Terry

          Message 4 of 11 , May 10, 2006
            Hello everyone,

            I compared the Wortmann FX05188 and NACA 64(4)-421
            airfols available at the UIUC database with the
            airfoil shown in the CRI-CRI plans.

            You can see the result here:
            http://www.stanford.edu/~cpatel/CRI-AFcomp.pdf

            PLEASE DO NOT USE THE PLOT FOR CONSTRUCTION OR FOR
            MONEY LAUNDERING. I have messed up the scale and axes
            on purpose. This does not affect the comparison.

            Let's not decide what airfoil it is. Let's just decide
            what it is not!

            If you think it is a bad idea to publish this
            comparison, let me know and I will remove it from the
            web.

            Good luck,
            Chinmay

            --- Cricri <terry@...> wrote:

            > Hi All,
            >
            > From a layman's point of view, I imagine Michel
            > Colomban designed his own wing airfoil as it
            > archives a 60% laminar flow. It would no-doubt be
            > unique, like the Cricri.
            >
            > Regards
            >
            > Terry

            Yahoo! India Answers: Share what you know. Learn something new.
            http://in.answers.yahoo.com
          • Chinmay Patel
            Message 5 of 11 , May 10, 2006
              Hi everyone,

              The CRI-CRI wing seems to have what is known as a 'Two
              Element Airfoil'.

              It may not be such a good idea to take an existing
              airfoil and put a flap behind it. What is better is to
              design an airfoil with both elements in mind. This
              takes care of the interaction between the two
              elements.

              I bet Mr. Colomban knew/knows what the CRI-CRI needed.
              Designing an airfoil that looks good on a computer
              screen and works well in practice is not easy even
              today.

              Just a thought,
              Chinmay

              Message 6 of 11 , May 10, 2006
                Hi everyone,

                Sorry, I've taken the document off the web and will
                not share it unless I get permission from Mr.
                Colomban. Although I made sure the document could not
                be used for construction/design, it is best to adhere
                to his wishes.

                Good luck,
                Chinmay