epoxy removal from aluminum

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2006
      Hi all.
      I purchased a Cricket kit which was rather poorly and carelessly
      constructed, and there are several places where the foam stiffeners
      have delaminated from the aluminum. Basically, it looks like zero
      prep of the aluminum was done prior to bonding. :( Fortunately, the
      wing parts werent similarly wrecked.

      In restoring the aircraft, I'd like a chemical remover that can take
      off the cured epoxy, assuming it's Araldite, without inducing some
      corrosion on the aluminum.

      Does anyone out there know of such a product? I see the
      epoxy/paint/varnish removers in the paint aisle, but I don't know
      their effects on aluminum.

      Any advice greatly appreciated.
    • Dave King
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2006
        Bob

        Don't use chemical removers. You risk contaminating the parts and not
        being able to reuse them. As far as I know the accepted and safe way is
        just using a simple heatgun and a plastic scraper. If the prep work was
        not done then you might find most of it will just pop off. This is
        covered in the manual btw.

        Dave

      • Andyrob400@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4, 2006
          In one of the old newsletters from Msr Colomban a suggested way of removeing epoxy is with a soldering iron. Make sure the edge is not too sharp to deeply mark the aluminium and than gently move it through the epoxy you wish to get rid of. The resultant waste is easy to get off, it almost crumbles with the heat. Then a bit of rough paper or scotch brite to get the rest, good degrease and your ready for re-epoxying.
                  Bon Chance,
                      Andy