Re: I need yours opinions.
- I'm with Pierre-andre on this on. I don't think you can better the
Cri-Cri in specification or performance. As others have said, the
main issue with the design is suitable engines.
You can however sort out the plans situation, and including an option
to use imperial dimensioned materials would be a major step forwards.
And if you could offer a single engine option as well as a twin
option, you would significantly increase the number of engine
--- In CriCri@yahoogroups.com, "Velletaz Pierre-Andre" <pierre-
> Hello, I have a ban-bi, and know also cricri and Michel Colomban.of
> About cricri, you cannot improve this airplane. You can just design
> another airplane.
> For interested people, there is a cricri/banbi fly'in with Michel
> himself at Marmande LFDM on sept 20 and 21.
> Pierre-Andre. MCR01 N115 F-PTGI
> --- In CriCri@yahoogroups.com, "VCiprian" <vciprian@y...> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > My name is Ciprian and I am a fan of Cri Cri airplane but as an
> > engineer I want to improve the airplane and eliminate the chaos
> > the plans and eventually the kit, so I had an idea. I have began
> > designing a brand new airplane with the Cri Cri specifications. I
> > would like to know yours opinions about this idea.
> > Respectfully Ciprian.
- --- In CriCri@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne/Gill Butt" <butt5@...> wrote:
> For images and a description of my solution to the "volts needed"
I just finished a project with a UAV that needed onboard power for the
I initially used a 3 phase brushless motor for RC airplanes and ran it
with a cogged pully and belt (2 to 1) from the prop hub. It was
rectified through a 3 phase rectifier with TVS's between the poles.
We initially used a fairly clean "half brick" switching power supply
that would provide about 150w. The whole assembly was about the size
of a small v-8 can and weighed less than 16oz.
We had no problems with the alternator, but we switched to a larger
capacity power supply and it was so noisy (electrically) that it
interfered with servos, and the auto pilot.
We had a very short deadline and scrapped the whole system in favor of
a 3lb. 20 amp hour LiPoly battery that was only about $300.00
I will repeat that we only scrapped the alternator due to not having
enough time to filter the 200w. larger brick power supply, there were
no problems with the alternator itself, but we never ran it to failure
so I don't know the useful life span. It only cost about $200 to set
up and the motor was about $120.
We used a DA 50 (5hp. 2.5lbs.) swinging a 26/12 cut down to 22/12 to
get more prop blade chord. It was mounted above the nose on a pylon
with a 6 degree upward angle to compensate for the pitching moment.
The motor was excellent, I would seriously consider the DA-150 (16hp.)
for a cri cri type application.
The company had excellent service, they would probably freak out if
you told them what you were using it for, so don't go asking them
about how to put their motor on an exp. aircraft, they will probably
not be interested due to liability.
I will post some more details on the alternator when I get a chance, I
am still very busy with this project and don't have time to answer
questions, so please don't ask, I probably won't respond as I have
been working 16 to 18 hour days for the past 4 months and there is no
end in site at this time.
I will try to respond to the list occasionally and I will post some
pics on a site.
A single engine cri cri would definitely be possible with a single
pylon above the nose, but you would need the right engine.
A pair of DA 150's would be better in my opinion since they are 2
cylinder boxers and run smooth.
The 20A 11.2v LiPoly worked very well and is a much more simple
solution with no moving parts, I would possibly consider this unless
you plan on long cross country flights.