Re: composite CriCri?

  • Oleg Golovidov
    Message 1 of 16 , May 6 2:29 PM
      Thanks everybody for providing some very informative (and kind)
      feedback. I pretty much got the answer that I expected. It is
      theoretically possible to design a composite structure comparable in
      weight to CriCri's, but it will take a good bit of knowledge and a
      complete redesign of the structure.
      I understand that not having access to industrial manufacturing
      processes limits the maximum load carrying abilities of composites,
      but I still think it can be done with simple vacuum bagging and
      simple homebuilt ovens for curing at elevated temperatures if not
      with proven Rutan techniques. The strength to weight ratio of carbon
      composites is about 3-5 times higher than that of aluminum, so the
      main structural elements can be overbuilt by 50% or more and still be
      lighter. Glass composites are not as efficient as carbon, but still
      can be comparable to or even more efficient than aluminum structure.
      I do not posess enough knowledge or experience to start a project
      like that right now, but I want to at least explore that possibility.
      I tried ordering "Composite Basics" book that was recommended here by
      John Anderson, but it is out of print and is not available :-(. John,
      do you know where I get get it? Can you recommend any other books
      that can be used as a basic textbook on designing composite
      structures? I ordered a couple of general kit construction books and
      they turned out to be a disappointment to me, so I am afraid to go
      and spend more money on books that I don't know anything about.
      Sorry for turning this into an out-of-topic discussion.
      Thanks to all,
      Oleg.
    • PMcAtee356@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , May 6 5:41 PM
        In a message dated 5/6/03 03:45:36 PM Mountain Daylight Time, Oleg.Golovidov@... writes:

        I tried ordering "Composite Basics" book that was recommended here by
        John Anderson, but it is out of print and is not available

        Composite Basics by Andrew C. Marshall is available from Amazon .com $40 US

        Amazon.com: Books: Composite Basics

        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0966454022/qid=1052268029/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/002-1826683-3989600
      • Oleg Golovidov
        Message 3 of 16 , May 7 6:21 AM
          --- In CriCri@yahoogroups.com, PMcAtee356@a... wrote:

          > Composite Basics by Andrew C. Marshall is available from Amazon .com
          $40 US

          And that's exactly where I tried ordering it... Not available. They
          take the order but then send you a message with "apologies".
        • Brad Johnston
          Message 4 of 16 , May 7 8:57 AM
            Try here....

            http://www.buildersbooks.com

            > > Composite Basics by Andrew C. Marshall is available from Amazon .com
            > $40 US
            >
            > And that's exactly where I tried ordering it... Not available. They
            > take the order but then send you a message with "apologies".

          • W. David Doiron
            Message 5 of 16 , May 7 10:42 AM
              In <04a601c314b1$6742bde0$0700a8c0@...>, on
              05/07/03
              at 11:57 AM, "Brad Johnston" <bradley.johnston@...> said:

              >Try here....
              >http://www.buildersbooks.com

              >> > Composite Basics by Andrew C. Marshall

              If that doesn't work, try these guys:
              SPromish@...

              Harvest Book Co
              260 New York Dr
              Fort Washington PA 19034

              800-669-2660
              Intl # 215-619-0307

              KEEP THIS INFORMATION, these guys can find almost ANY
              old book !!!!

              W. David DOIRON <DDoiron@...>
            • Brad Johnston
              Message 6 of 16 , May 8 5:13 PM
                Do you think they could dig up a copy of

                "Engineering for the Amateur Aircraft Builder" and/or "Stress Analysis Made
                Painless", both books written by Raoul J. Hoffman.

                Bradley

                > KEEP THIS INFORMATION, these guys can find almost ANY
                > old book !!!!

                > W. David DOIRON <DDoiron@...>

              • W. David Doiron
                Message 7 of 16 , May 8 6:32 PM
                  In <04ff01c315bf$d7bb0280$0700a8c0@...>, on
                  05/08/03
                  at 08:13 PM, "Brad Johnston" <bradley.johnston@...> said:

                  >Do you think they could dig up a copy of

                  WORTH A TRY...

                  >"Engineering for the Amateur Aircraft Builder" and/or "Stress Analysis
                  >Made Painless", both books written by Raoul J. Hoffman.

                  >Bradley

                  W. David DOIRON <DDoiron@...>
                • Norman
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 11 8:30 AM
                    If the Hoffman books are out of print you might try finding a copy of
                    "Stress Without Tears" by Tom Rhodes. It doesn't go into a lot of
                    advanced math but it is a good primer for the amateur designer, then
                    when you get into the detail work you can get a more detailed
                    engineering text like, say, "Applied Strength of Materials". However I
                    agree with what's been said in this thread, an amateur built airplane
                    is an adventure but an amateurly designed airplane is just damn scary!
                    That's not to say that you shouldn't do it, just go at it cautiously
                    and seek advise from a real engineer although that may be hard to come
                    by because, if you end up killing yourself, they might be libel (at
                    least in the USA).
                    --
                    .~.
                    /V\

                    Oh, BTW, I just joined this list yesterday. Hi everybody!

                    --- In CriCri@yahoogroups.com, "Brad Johnston" <bradley.johnston@r...>