Limbach Engines

  • W. David Doiron
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 8, 2003
      Well Folks, You sure get me to digging out all my old materials...

      Limbach Flugmotoren GmbH used to be represented in the US by Jerry
      Treager out of Tulsa.
      Jerry had a heart attack in 96 (?) and lost his FAA medical, so he got
      out of the flying business. But he still has close contacts with the
      people at Limbach.

      Limbach used to have a booth at Oshkosh, but not for the last several
      years. Limbach GmbH has become less interested in the American market.

      My guess is that it would be possible to make some arrangement with Jerry
      to get the parts needed to make some L275E engines, but this is a
      delicate matter, to whit:

      1. The Limbach Bulletin issue 6, summer '87 had the following to say.
      "The Limbach 2-cycle engines are designed..for drone aircraft..it is
      our policy not to sell such engines for..people-carrying aircraft..."

      2. This policy was mainly the opinion of Peter Limbach Senior.
      He died some time ago.

      3. Limbach GmbH has fallen on hard economic times, and although
      Peter Junior runs the company, he has the bank
      looking over his shoulder,,,

      4. Junior would probably sell PARTS for the L275E if it were not
      rubbed in his face what they were to be used for.

      5. Jerry may be willing to help out, but he is NOT officially in the
      business. So some kind of "off the record" FINDERS FEE
      would be essential to be fair to him and get his help.

      Jerry's home phone is 918-245-6910 and his e-ddress is
      tfamilie@...
      Please treat him gently and with great kindness; he is our best hope for
      continued Limbach parts.

      (Here is yet another example of how lawyers have f***ed up
      our lives. We can't get parts from small companies because they fear
      American lawyers.
      As another example, how many times have you called someplace and gotten
      someone on the phone who is incompetent and has no language skills, yet
      they cannot be fired because of lawyers...)

      Please keep me posted how it goes with Jerry, and if anyone actually GETS
      Limbach engines, I have the details for props, motor mounts, exhaust,
      carbs, ignition, alternator, heat sinks, baffling, and the results of the
      dyno testing...

      bon chance,
      W. David DOIRON <DDoiron@...>
    • kr2dream@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 9, 2003
        David:

        I have looked into theLimbach engine and was referred by the factory in Germany to Mr. George Roth at Engineering Dynamics in Sylvania Ohio.  He id the current US distributor for the Limbach line.  Without asking what type of plane it was for he quoted me $3584.20 each for the 275E engines noting that it would be an additional $517.03 if shielded ignitions were required.  That price was for the engine with 12 volt electric starter but no generator.  The contact for Mr. Roth is:

        phone:  419-829-2442
        fax:       734-641-8496
        e-mail:   g.roth@...

        I would be most interested in mounting as well as any other information you have for the engine.  Hope this contact helps.

        Bob Lasecki
        Chicago