Testing... Hello to everyone.

  • stephen chan
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 11, 1999
      This is a test message.

      Hello to everyone on the Cri Cri list.

      Cheers
      Stephen
      Vancouver, B.C Canada

      [Victor: nice job setting up this list]
    • David W. S. King
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 11, 1999
        Helloooooo Everyone
        This is me is dat you??
        Hopefully we will get good responses from all over,
        I'll send out notices to whom I can thing of here and abroad,

        Fun fun fun

        LEfty
      • stephen chan
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 12, 1999
          ---"David W. S. King" <kingd@...> wrote:

          > Helloooooo Everyone
          > This is me is dat you??

          Yes it's us Dave. Please put aside the bottle.
          Friends don't let friends build aeroplanes drunk.

          Just kidding.

          > Hopefully we will get good responses from all over.

          Yes, how about starting with you. Tell us about your
          solid foam core wing research. I could use a refresher
          myself. Also, do you plan to do a static load test
          on your solid core wing?

          Victor: Is this mail list archived. It would be nice
          to have a record of all the messages for future
          reference.

          Later

          Stephen
        • David W. S. King
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 12, 1999
            Hi

            >Yes it's us Dave. Please put aside the bottle.
            >Friends don't let friends build aeroplanes drunk.
            building sober? but all the numbers on the ruler thingies will be different.
            when they are just fuzzy it's kinda easy to just guess at a number. Actually
            knowing it might put a twist on things ;-]

            >Just kidding.
            Uh huh ;-]

            >> Hopefully we will get good responses from all over.
            I'll post it to what places I can. I'm going to post on the french lists
            about this and the may annual cri builders meeting (time/date etc).
            Hopefully we'll get a few more people.

            >Yes, how about starting with you. Tell us about your
            >solid foam core wing research. I could use a refresher
            >myself.
            Ok. I'll write this for anyone outside of our contact group. Assuming
            there will be extra list activity. Basically in some areas of north america
            the klegecell foam is either hard to find or expensive to purchase, with
            the odd quality question thrown in as well. My experiment is to replace
            the klegecell ribs with a solid foam core of lighter material. The solid core
            get hot wired to shape exactly like r/c airplanes or even some of the
            Quickie/Eze's Berkuts,Europas etc etc. So instead of having 30+ individual ribs
            that need to be aligned/jigged for assembly we have a solid core. The cost
            of the
            core will be $24 CDN each wing and about $15 for all the foam required in the
            tail, rudder, and flaperons. 1/3 of a sheet of klegecell will be used to
            make aft
            ribs blocks around each flapperon connection. The spar is as designed a
            conventional
            metal built up spar (web/caps/ tons of rivets) and as is should survive
            about 11.2G's
            ultimate loading. I'm replacing the caps with 6061-t6 of a slightly thicker
            section
            to compensate for the reduced strength. This worked out at 12.4 G's
            conservatively
            with a possibility of over 15+G's if it holds up.
            The 6mm wide klegecell ribs are spaced about 105mm apart so we
            have load paths down each rib, and the epoxy on each end is the bonded area.
            With
            the solid core we have a 100% core glue skin contact area so there are no
            stress risers.
            The loads are spread evenly through out to provide a true stressed skin
            construction.
            It basically means the local loads are lower as they are spread out more. As
            an example
            the glue loading per sqr inch will drop to about 1/10 the stock value.
            This method eliminates basically all the jigging tooling required with the
            individual ribs.
            It also cuts the cost down, materials are local and available.

            > Also, do you plan to do a static load test
            >on your solid core wing?
            I've got the extrusions, the skin and just need foam and rivets to built a
            test panel.
            Then of course sandbags and a fixture. since it's not a huge airplane won't
            need much
            of either. Half span load at 10 g's is about 2000lbs so that could be as
            little as 20 bags
            of something. I'd like to test the load at increments of 1/10 G and will
            make measurements
            along the half span and at the tip for flex movement. I don't intend to use
            the wing to go
            flying with so it will get loaded till it goes poof. Normally you only have
            to load it up to the
            yield point to prove the ultimate. ie 6 g's to prove 9g ultimate. I think by
            testing in low
            increments and to ultimate I can find out just where any weak points are.

            Cheers

            Dave