Early Birds on the Pond at Crex on Sunday, March 3, 08

  • aalley2
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3 9:47 AM
      The day was gray, drizzling, and damp. My friends and I were not
      expecting to see swans walking on the ice yesterday. We came upon them
      on Main Dike road (heading west). The smaller swan was tagged on both
      legs; the right leg with a yellow band and black letters the left leg a
      silver band. We could not read either band, as the pair walked further
      away from us (as it goes). Continuing along the road westward, we saw
      four more swans. Two were standing and the other two were lying down.
      The one standing in front of the other appeared to have a yellow band
      with black letters that we could not read. The two lying down had neck
      bands that were yellow with black letters and the tag read Z84 and Z57,
      but it took all three of us to take a look through the binoculars to
      finally make the ID. Even then, the numbers may not be correct. Too
      bad the sun wasn't out; it may have been easer to read the letters.
      We also saw a couple of large hawks and a smaller hawk. I saw a
      possible eagle. It had a spot of white on the rump and flew fast and
      out of sight in no time. We also noted that the brush chopper had been
      chopping the undergrowth. The deer seemed to be attracted to the area.
      That is the only place we saw them.