82K

  • toomanykayaks
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2009
      Agogo and I saw a real happy sight today. A favorite swan of a lot of
      people, 82K, green collar (there is a yellow collared 82K also) was
      sighted in Burnett County today. She will be 20 years old this spring.
      She was one of the first releases after being captive reared from an
      Alaskan egg.
      This wonderful Trumpeter has reared many of our swans. She is also a
      survivor of a shooting in Illinois in 1995 where her mate and 3 of her
      5 cygnets were killed. Last year, she became ill and was checked out at
      The Raptor Center in St. Paul. An x-ray showed that she still has 9
      pellets in her from that incident.
      She has lost two mates, and for the last several years has been quite a
      loner, staying occasionally with "boy toys" then leaving them. It looks
      like now she may have found a more serious relationship.
      We have been mighty worried about her this winter, as no one has seen
      her.
      Welcome back, Sweet Lady.
    • Anna and Kevin Merritt
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2009
        thanks for this update...sure makes me happy!

        Anna Martineau Merritt
        Misty Pine Photography