Aug 30, 2008

  • Anna Martineau Merritt
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 5, 2008
      I am so sorry for not getting this here sooner...I took a friend over
      to Crex on the 30 and was very happy to see aobut 250 Sandhill Cranes
      (all near the corner by the rest area), and hit the jackpot for swans
      and babies...we saw:
      J90 and J94 with 5 babies on Hildas/Kylingstad road
      H56 and unmarked with 5 babies on Main Dike Road
      2 unmarked with 4 babies I am sorry I can't remember where I saw them...
      and I saw a Blandings Turtle! I think it was North Refuge Rd

      I did see one other car out there driving on the WRONG side of the
      road, got all excited, thinking it was a certain someone from the list
      (I wont name names)...and it was some old fart from MN...hehehehe

      What are the yellow flowers that are all over the place? the color was
      such a contrast to everything else...very stunning!

      Blessings, Anna
    • mn_windchill
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 8, 2008
        --- In CrexMeadowsNatureLovers@yahoogroups.com, "Anna Martineau
        Merritt" <jackpineflats@...> wrote:

        > I did see one other car out there driving on the WRONG side of the
        > road, got all excited, thinking it was a certain someone from the list
        > (I wont name names)...and it was some old fart from MN...hehehehe
        >
        > What are the yellow flowers that are all over the place? the color was
        > such a contrast to everything else...very stunning!
        >
        > Blessings, Anna

        Wrong side of the road? hmmm. wonder who that was...

        Kim did a species of the week on those millions of yellow flowers.
        They are pretty spectacular for sure. If we are talking about the same
        ones its the Tickseed sunflower Bidens coronatus (Aster Family
        Asteraceae) a.k.a. bidens, nodding beggarticks, tall swamp marigold.
        Check out past flowers for more info.

        As a side note Please watch out for the snakes on the road! Lots of
        warming going on this time of year and last trip to the meadows we
        found a hog-nosed snake that had been hit by a car. Lots of
        caterpillars crossing roads too and we came across an IO moth
        caterpillar. Turns into a beautiful moth.

        http://bugguide.net/node/view/405
      • mn_windchill
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 8, 2008
          > As a side note Please watch out for the snakes on the road! Lots of
          > warming going on this time of year and last trip to the meadows we
          > found a hog-nosed snake that had been hit by a car. Lots of
          > caterpillars crossing roads too and we came across an IO moth
          > caterpillar. Turns into a beautiful moth.
          >
          > http://bugguide.net/node/view/405

          Just wanted to add that the above caterpillar was almost 4 inches long
          and bright green. Pretty easy to see on the road.
        • Andy P
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 8, 2008
            Hi Folks,

            First post.  I also found a dead bullsnake (4+ footer) there this June.  I've never seen a live one in Wisconsin so I was pretty bummed.

            Keep the reports coming for those of us ex-Burnett county-ers that are now stuck in Dane County.

            Andy Paulios

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 10, 2008
              --- In CrexMeadowsNatureLovers@yahoogroups.com, Andy P
              <andypaulios@...> wrote:

              > Hi Folks,
              >
              > First post. I also found a dead bullsnake (4+ footer) there this
              June. I've never seen a live one in Wisconsin so I was pretty bummed.

              > Keep the reports coming for those of us ex-Burnett county-ers that
              are now stuck in Dane County.

              > Andy Paulios

              Hi Andy and welcome to the group!

              This summer was a pretty good snake summer on the meadows. Saw a few
              bullsnakes, and got some good pics of a 6 footer. Also came across a
              pretty good sized hog-nosed snake in june. To see snakes you really
              have to get out of the car and walk the roads slowly and near the
              edges. All of the snakes (except the 6 footer) I flushed were via
              butterfly and bug photography. As I approached the target bug the
              snake let me know they were nearby too. The bullsnake we photographed
              was very sedate and unaffected (but probably irritated) at our presence.

              Heres my page on the bullsnake if you want to check it out:

              http://sci.windwolf.org/crex/anim/cmBullSn.htm
            • Anna Martineau Merritt
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 10, 2008
                wow...I like snakes as long as I DON'T see them...however, to over come
                my fear, I have been forcing myself to look at them and learn a bit...I
                want to say that these were great shots! I will think twice about my
                chasing butterflies freely into the woods...hehehehe Actually, this
                tells me that this is the snake I saw this past summer at Crex...all I
                saw was about a foot or so of the tail hanging out of a hole. I even
                took pictures of it...from the car window...hehehehe My 67 year old
                friend, who has a hard time walking go out, walked over to it and
                said...do you want me to pull it out for you...hehehehe NO!!! hehehehe
                Thanks for your insight.

                ps...even though I am afraid of them, I would not kill one on
                purpose...I get very upset when I see them dead on the road...the last
                time at crex I saw three dead snakes...none of them were very large,
                however, dead they were...it makes me sad.
              • mn_windchill
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 10, 2008
                  --- In CrexMeadowsNatureLovers@yahoogroups.com, "Anna Martineau
                  Merritt" <jackpineflats@...> wrote:

                  > wow...I like snakes as long as I DON'T see them...however, to over come
                  > my fear, I have been forcing myself to look at them and learn a bit...I
                  > want to say that these were great shots! I will think twice about my
                  > chasing butterflies freely into the woods...hehehehe Actually, this
                  > tells me that this is the snake I saw this past summer at Crex...all I
                  > saw was about a foot or so of the tail hanging out of a hole. I even
                  > took pictures of it...from the car window...hehehehe My 67 year old
                  > friend, who has a hard time walking go out, walked over to it and
                  > said...do you want me to pull it out for you...hehehehe NO!!! hehehehe
                  > Thanks for your insight.
                  >
                  > ps...even though I am afraid of them, I would not kill one on
                  > purpose...I get very upset when I see them dead on the road...the last
                  > time at crex I saw three dead snakes...none of them were very large,
                  > however, dead they were...it makes me sad.

                  Glad to hear your trying to overcome your fear, and that my pics were
                  helpful for you.
                • Kim Dauer
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 10, 2008
                    Hi Andy - welcome to the forum.  I am glad to see you here!  Members, Andy is a wonderful Crex Meadows enthusiast who was published, among other things, in an issue of Birder's World not too very long ago about a trip to Crex.  We use some of his photos in our various documents.

                    I live a couple miles west of Cty F just north of Main Dike Road, and we had a dead hog nose snake out on the road in front of our driveway last week.  It was SMASHED.  My dog thought it made a good chew toy.  Wish I could have seen it alive - hog nose are cool.

                    I have seen many bull snakes at Crex over the last couple years - last year I saw one swimming in Dike 1 and got some good pics.  I have never seen the ones at the "Snake Tree" at the rest area though - never there at the right times!

                    Yes, the tickseed sunflowers are brilliant!  The shorter Nodding Beggarticks are growing very well too, but they don't stand out so much and grow in the shadows of their taller biden cousin.  I'm glad you look at my species of the week pages!

                    Kim

                    First post.  I also found a dead bullsnake (4+ footer) there this June.  I've never seen a live one in Wisconsin so I was pretty bummed.

                    Keep the reports coming for those of us ex-Burnett county-ers that are now stuck in Dane County.

                    Andy Paulios

                    > I did see one other car out there driving on the WRONG side of the
                    > road, got all excited, thinking it was a certain someone from the list
                    > (I wont name names)...and it was some old fart from MN...hehehehe
                    >
                    > What are the yellow flowers that are all over the place? the color was
                    > such a contrast to everything else...very stunning!
                    >
                    > Blessings, Anna

                    Wrong side of the road? hmmm. wonder who that was...

                    Kim did a species of the week on those millions of yellow flowers.
                    They are pretty spectacular for sure. If we are talking about the same
                    ones its the Tickseed sunflower Bidens coronatus (Aster Family
                    Asteraceae) a.k.a. bidens, nodding beggarticks, tall swamp marigold.
                    Check out past flowers for more info.

                    As a side note Please watch out for the snakes on the road! Lots of
                    warming going on this time of year and last trip to the meadows we
                    found a hog-nosed snake that had been hit by a car. Lots of
                    caterpillars crossing roads too and we came across an IO moth
                    caterpillar. Turns into a beautiful moth.

                    http://bugguide. net/node/ view/405

                  • Rich Peet
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 16, 2008
                      The IO moth is not just a beautiful moth it is the guy that takes eye
                      spots to the next level.

                      The IO moth has eye spots, eye brows, a nose, a mouth, and a mustache.
                      How cool is that.

                      Here is a picture of a male I took this summer.
                      http://home.comcast.net/~richpeet/io.jpg
                      The moth was caught, photographed, and released undamaged.

                      Rich
                      Sorry I have been absent from Crex lately. Still working hard.

                      --- In CrexMeadowsNatureLovers@yahoogroups.com, "mn_windchill"

                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 16, 2008
                        Hi Rich,

                        Good to hear from you again. I was roaming the meadows today and found
                        several IO moth caterpillars on the road in various places. May be a
                        good spring for this moth next year. None showed parasite bites or
                        eggs. Several coppers around and one of the comma/question marks but
                        it would let me get a positive ID.

                        Windchill

                        --- In CrexMeadowsNatureLovers@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Peet"