moths

  • Rich Peet
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2008
      I have a project that will need a couple base line tests before being
      put to the test in July.

      I will be setting up a night moth survey in Crex if possible depending
      on permissions.

      I am looking to use a Mercury Vapor lamp and collecting sheet to
      attempt to observe large moth numbers within Crex. This is powered
      off an auto in idle as the generator.

      I do not do the dead bug on a pin and want to photograph, but anyone
      that wants the critters and does collections are welcome.

      Respond if you are interested in a "night out for moths" (or part of
      one) and then I will let all know if there are issues in having this
      within Crex.

      Rich
    • mn_windchill
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2008
        --- In CrexMeadowsNatureLovers@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Peet"
        <richpeet@...> wrote:

        > I have a project that will need a couple base line tests before being
        > put to the test in July.
        >
        > I will be setting up a night moth survey in Crex if possible depending
        > on permissions.
        >
        > I am looking to use a Mercury Vapor lamp and collecting sheet to
        > attempt to observe large moth numbers within Crex. This is powered
        > off an auto in idle as the generator.
        >
        > I do not do the dead bug on a pin and want to photograph, but anyone
        > that wants the critters and does collections are welcome.
        >
        > Respond if you are interested in a "night out for moths" (or part of
        > one) and then I will let all know if there are issues in having this
        > within Crex.
        >
        > Rich

        Wow Rich, I was just reading an article about collecting insects put
        out by dept of entomology, U of W today!

        One thing they suggested for night insects was a florescent tube
        blacklight. They said to put the blacklight on a pole, use the sheet
        as a reflective surface and catch the bugs as soon as they land on the
        sheet. So you might want to rotate lighting to see if you attract
        different types.

        I might be interested in a trip up that way to photograph.