August Bird Sightings

  • louanncarol
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 22, 2007
      It is nice to see the Phantom Lake area getting a little bit more water
      in it from the recent rains. I drove by late this afternoon and was
      surprised to see many shorebirds, blue herons, Canada geese, Trumpeter
      Swans and Sandhill Cranes. Of course the highlight of my drive was
      seeing the two young Bald Eagles. They didn't seem to be bothered by
      my presence or anyone elses either. I got a couple of good photos and
      will add them to this sight tomorrow.

      Most of the Trumpeter Swans are still near the picnic area on East
      Refuge Road. I also spotted a Blandings turtle, painted turtle and mid-
      sized snapping turtle on the side of the road. A flock of turkeys
      looked very striking in the late evening sunlight near county road F.

      Lou
    • kimdauer
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 23, 2007
        Yes, these rains are doing us a world of good. It appears that the
        wild rice beds will be accessible by canoe on Phantom Lake. They
        should be begin harvesting in a couple weeks. I hope to go in a year
        or two. Meanwhile, the harvesters may give Crex gift shop some to
        sell again this year. That was good rice!

        I noticed many Great Egrets out there earlier this week - if you have
        a good 4 wheel drive check out Whiskey Creek Flowage behind the
        airport. It is a wheel-track road that begins just west of the
        airport on Cty D and ends at Phantom Lake Road. I almost always see
        green herons back there too.

        Lets try to keep posting here - let us know what you are seeing and
        share some photos!

        Thanks!
        Kim

        CrexMeadowsNatureLovers@yahoogroups.com, "louanncarol"
        <louanncarol@...> wrote:

        > It is nice to see the Phantom Lake area getting a little bit more water
        > in it from the recent rains. I drove by late this afternoon and was
        > surprised to see many shorebirds, blue herons, Canada geese, Trumpeter
        > Swans and Sandhill Cranes. Of course the highlight of my drive was
        > seeing the two young Bald Eagles. They didn't seem to be bothered by
        > my presence or anyone elses either. I got a couple of good photos and
        > will add them to this sight tomorrow.
        >
        > Most of the Trumpeter Swans are still near the picnic area on East
        > Refuge Road. I also spotted a Blandings turtle, painted turtle and mid-
        > sized snapping turtle on the side of the road. A flock of turkeys
        > looked very striking in the late evening sunlight near county road F.
        >
        > Lou

      • hubyseven
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 14, 2007
          Kim wrote: "Yes, these rains are doing us a world of good. It appears
          that the wild rice beds will be accessible by canoe on Phantom Lake.
          They should be begin harvesting in a couple weeks. I hope to go in a
          year or two. Meanwhile, the harvesters may give Crex gift shop some
          to sell again this year. That was good rice!"

          Me: I have been harvesting wild rice for about five years now. I'm
          wondering if there is a place close by the wild rice beds at Crex
          Meadows to camp?

          Thank you,

          Curt

          --- In CrexMeadowsNatureLovers@yahoogroups.com, "kimdauer"
          <kimdauer@...> wrote:

          > Yes, these rains are doing us a world of good. It appears that the
          > wild rice beds will be accessible by canoe on Phantom Lake. They
          > should be begin harvesting in a couple weeks. I hope to go in a year
          > or two. Meanwhile, the harvesters may give Crex gift shop some to
          > sell again this year. That was good rice!
          >
          > I noticed many Great Egrets out there earlier this week - if you
          have
          > a good 4 wheel drive check out Whiskey Creek Flowage behind the
          > airport. It is a wheel-track road that begins just west of the
          > airport on Cty D and ends at Phantom Lake Road. I almost always see
          > green herons back there too.
          >
          > Lets try to keep posting here - let us know what you are seeing and
          > share some photos!
          >
          > Thanks!
          > Kim
          >
          > CrexMeadowsNatureLovers@yahoogroups.com, "louanncarol"
          > <louanncarol@> wrote:
          > >
          > > It is nice to see the Phantom Lake area getting a little bit more
          water
          > > in it from the recent rains. I drove by late this afternoon and
          was
          > > surprised to see many shorebirds, blue herons, Canada geese,
          Trumpeter
          > > Swans and Sandhill Cranes. Of course the highlight of my drive
          was
          > > seeing the two young Bald Eagles. They didn't seem to be
          bothered by
          > > my presence or anyone elses either. I got a couple of good
          photos and
          > > will add them to this sight tomorrow.
          > >
          > > Most of the Trumpeter Swans are still near the picnic area on
          East
          > > Refuge Road. I also spotted a Blandings turtle, painted turtle
          and mid-
          > > sized snapping turtle on the side of the road. A flock of
          turkeys
          > > looked very striking in the late evening sunlight near county
          road F.

          > > Lou

        • kimdauer
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 19, 2007
            There are a few options. First, we have a rest area that we allow
            camping at in the fall. You would want to stop by the visitor center
            and register - there's a $5 fee ($4 for FOC members and WI hunters
            with a valid hunting license). It is primitive but very nice.

            The McNally campground in Grantsburg at the Memory lake park is nice
            too - mostly RV's, full hookups, etc. Lots of people stay there all
            summer in bug RVs. Contact the grantsburg city offices for more
            info.

            And there is a very nice state forest campground right at the state
            line on Hwy 70 that is open throught mid-October too. You would self-
            register there. It is also primitive, no electricity but very much
            like a state park otherwise.

            You do need to contact the DNR and get a ricing permit to rice at
            Crex, but it is open to anyone who is a Wisconsin resident.

            Hope the info helps!

            Kim