supernatural

  • Mark LaRusso
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2004
      There have been several comments in recent postings that the question of whether or not there are supernatural events or forces in human existance is integral in our creation_evolution_debate.  Since I believe they exist and cannot be observed and studied, I wonder if it is possible for those who cherish science, to simply refrain from comment on such things, relegating them to something outside of their area of expertise.

      Very often attempts to dismiss reports of supernatural events are dealt with by trying to minimize them, or trying to find a natural explanation for them.  In attempts to dismiss them, they are often called the result of superstition and/or the imaginations of the lonely, afraid, the suffering, and the ignorant.  Why do the lovers of science have such difficulty with the idea that there are some things we don't know?  Is there a fear of loss of something if everything cannot be explained?

      Mark La Russo

    • Chris Ashcraft
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2004
        Absolutely not. Our world has a supernatural history, which has affected it so greatly, there is simply no way to interpret the artifacts of this history otherwise.

        The very reason why geologists cannot correctly interpret the fossil record is because the history these rocks reveal is a supernatural one. A naturalist must explain the existence of these rock and the life that resides upon them through an exclusively natural interpretation. They must believe that the lifeforms alive today was able to naturally survive the deposition of the rock layers that blanket our world. They must therefore believe these layers accumulated slowly and gradually over eons of time. However, the Bible says there was a global flood that nothing could survive except those on board the ark. The only reason life exists on earth today is because of an act of supernatural intervention. God told Noah there was going to be a flood, how to build the ark, and when to go inside. A naturalist is simply unable to interpret the historic record of this event, and it is only through a belief in the supernatural acts of God that our world can be understood.

        Mark LaRusso <TwoCreations@...> wrote:
        There have been several comments in recent postings that the question of whether or not there are supernatural events or forces in human existance is integral in our creation_evolution_debate.  Since I believe they exist and cannot be observed and studied, I wonder if it is possible for those who cherish science, to simply refrain from comment on such things, relegating them to something outside of their area of expertise.

        Christopher W. Ashcraft
        Creation Science Resource
        http://nwcreation.net
      • Luke Hoffmann
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2004
          --- Mark LaRusso <TwoCreations@...> wrote:

          ---------------------------------
[...]

          "There are only two possibilities as to how life
          arose. One
          is spontaneous generation arising to evolution; the
          other is
          a supernatural creative act of God. There is no third
          possibility. Spontaneous generation, that life arose
          from
          non-living matter was scientifically disproved 120
          years ago
          by Louis Pasteur and others. That leaves us with the
          only
          possible conclusion that life arose as a supernatural
          creative act of God. I will not accept that
          philosophically
          because I do not want to believe in God. Therefore, I
          choose
          to believe in that which I know is scientifically
          impossible;
          spontaneous generation arising to evolution."
          (Wald, George, "Innovation and Biology," Scientific
          American,
          Vol. 199, Sept. 1958, p. 100)

          http://photos.yahoo.com/
        • Dr. Robert A. Herrmann
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2004

            I point out that, in 1978, I was the first to establish that "supernatural" notions and experiences are rational from the scientific viewpoint. This was one of the major reasons I was nominated for the Templeton prize. Of course, this so-called prize is not really given for true advances in theology. For details, please see my web site. Although the material is dated, I can supply you via attachment with a copy of the very first paper I published in this regard, "The reasonableness of metaphysical evidence" which appeared in 1982 in the Journal of the American Scientific Affiliation or the CRS paper "The scientific existence of a higher intelligence" which also appears on my web site.

            Dr. Robert A. Herrmann

            Professor of Mathematics
            www.RAHerrmann.com
            Private e-mail address
            drrah1@...

            There are now three new levels of MSN Hotmail Extra Storage! Learn more.
          • Teno Groppi
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2004
              I point out that, in 1978, I was the first to establish that "supernatural" notions and experiences are rational from the scientific viewpoint. This was one of the major reasons I was nominated for the Templeton prize. Of course, this so-called prize is not really given for true advances in theology. Dr. Robert A. Herrmann

                       Now we know why you didn't WIN that prize, your idea actually gave glory to God. It took them a little while to realize that, or they probably wouldn't have even nominated you (unless they did so to make themselves look unbiased). I've met a few who actually won Templeton prizes. In every case they were trying to take attention away from the Bible and give it to some kind of pantheistic idea.

              Here, there, or in the air!
              Teno Groppi
              God & Country Center
              http://www.baptistlink.com/godandcountry/index.html