To Eoghan

  • Mark LaRusso
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2004
      I hope I can give an adequate answer to your question, "How is God different from the other gods?"  The primary difference is that God is Love.  He created the universe and the creation is good and life is good.  This is very different from other traditions where the physical aspects of our world, (the sun, the moon, the earth and the stars) were believed to be eternal.  Life is not necessarily good in other traditions.  Buddhist teachings begin with the a priori statement, "All life is pain and suffering."

      Another fundamental difference is found in a letter from Alexander the Great to his mother, as reported by Saint Augustine in his, "The City  of God".  During his conquest of Egypt, Alexander learned that, "The gods are people."  For the religions of Europe and India, it is believed that eternal spirit forms (personality types) continue to manifest themselves in each generation of humanity.  There is always a Hercules character, a Venus character, and so on, for all the gods of the Pantheon.  The myths are the eternally esbablished patterns of how these types (gods) interact with one another.  Given this, it is clearly understandable why leaders of societies with these traditions often declared themselves to be living gods.

      The lineal aspect of time is very important in monotheism.  The universe had a beginning and it will have an end.  Jesus manifested himself only once.  He is not a type which constantly appears.  This is in opposition to the cyclical view of time, as is manifested in Hinduism in "The Wheel of Samsara". It's an eternal spinning of the birth, death, and rebirth cycle based on the belief in reincarnation.

      Another thing which markedly separates God from the other gods is Grace (God's unearned and
      underserved love).

      Mark La Russo

    • Chris Maddocks
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2004
        "How is God different from the other gods?"

        Yahweh is different from other gods in that:

        1.  He exists, (cp Jer 51:17)
        2.  He is the Creator (Ps 33:60
        3.  He can predict the future (Is 41).
        4.  He is able to save and to destroy (Jas 4:12)
        5.  He is able to raise the dead (Rom 6:4)
        6.  He is righteous, and will judge the world in righteousness (Acts 17:31)
        7.  There is none like Him, and none else besides Him (Is 46:9)

        CAM

[...]

        CreationTalk Discussion Group
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CreationTalk/
        Creation Science Resource
        http://nwcreation.net/

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Dan Cadd
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2004

          I think many of us who have been raised in a Westernized form of Christianity, have been indoctrinated to misunderstand what the scripture is saying to us when it reports that there is only one true God, and all other gods are false gods.  We have generally been taught that only the one true God exists, and all the false gods are myth.  I think taking this perspective causes us to fall into a similar opinion of our ancestors as secular evolutionists, that they were more ignorant and gullible, that they weren’t sophisticated enough to understand or interpret what they were seeing.  Over the years I have come to reject this perspective.  I think our ancestors did understand what they were seeing, many gods were interacting with them, and still are in various places around the world.  These powerful spiritual beings (angels and demons) have and do actually cause many miracles and catastrophes.  Many, maybe most, of idols are representations of actual beings who were influencing groups of people (tribes, cultures, nations) to worship them and come under their control.  They actually cause catastrophes which ruin crops, curse leaders, etc. if the people didn’t worship them, sacrifice their children and captured prisoners, etc..

          I think part of “The Faith” is believing that the god who is interacting with us is who he says he is.  That He is the Creator.  If he is not the Creator, he is just another more powerful being attempting to get us to worship and serve him.  We must put our trust in His assertion that He is good, loving, just, kind, truthful, etc., in hope that He really is the one true Creator God, above all other beings, and that He is the one God Who does eternally reward His followers.  I think there really are a lot of powerful spiritual beings out there who claim to be a god or the god, and it is up to us to distinguish between the false gods (who do exist) and the one true God.

          Dan Cadd

          ______________________

          __________________________________

[...]

        • Teno Groppi
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2004
            I hope I can give an adequate answer to your question, "How is God different from the other gods?"  The primary difference is that God is Love.

                     That's only part of the different. God is also TRUTH and JUSTICE. Because of that, He can't simply overlook our sin and let us into heaven because He 'loves' us. The sin must be accounted for. That's why Jesus went to Calvary to receive our wages for our sin. No other false god even pretended to do something like that to provide for sinful man. That IS love.

            Mat 10:28  And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

                     The other gods can't do that. The other religious icons remain dead and in their graves. Jesus Christ rose from the dead. Only He is able to destroy or save. And all it takes is for a person to put his faith in Jesus Christ to be saved.

            Teno Groppi - God & Country Center
            http://www.baptistlink.com/godandcountry/
            Rev 3:19  As many as I LOVE, I REBUKE and CHASTEN: be zealous therefore, and repent.
            2 John 1:6-7  And THIS IS LOVE, that WE WALK AFTER HIS COMMANDMENTS. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it. 7 For many *deceivers* are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a *deceiver* and an *antichrist*.

          • Chris Maddocks
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 1, 2004
              We have generally been taught that only the one true God exists, and all the false gods are myth.

              That is because it is what the Bible states (1 Cor 8:4).  Do you disagree with the Bible here?

              CAM

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 1, 2004

                1 Cor. 8:4-6 ‘…there is no other God but one.  For even if there are so-called gods whether in heaven or on earth, as indeed there are many gods and many lords, yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from Whom are all things, and we exist for Him…’

                Eph. 6:12 ‘For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.’

                The Bible doesn’t say that false gods are myth – fictional – non-existent.  What it says is, that the powerful spiritual beings who are deceiving people are false gods, they are real, but they are not gods who deserve worship, sacrifices and followers.  Only the Creator, Who is the one true God deserves worship, sacrifices and followers. They are created beings under the same God that we are, who will come before Him for judgment, just like we will.

                Dan Cadd

[...]

                ·   To visit your group on the web, go to:

                ·   To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

                ·   Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.