Ten questions to ask your biology teacher about evolution

  • larjsy
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2002
      Ten questions to ask your biology teacher about evolution

      Jonathan Wells
      A year ago, I posted "Ten Questions To Ask Your Biology Teacher About
      Evolution" at

      http://www.iconsofevolution.com/tools/questions.php3.

      Ten questions to ask your biology teacher about evolution.

      ORIGIN OF LIFE. Why do textbooks claim that the 1953 Miller-Urey
      experiment shows how life's building blocks may have formed on the
      early Earth -- when conditions on the early Earth were probably
      nothing like those used in the experiment, and the origin of life
      remains a mystery?

      DARWIN'S TREE OF LIFE. Why don't textbooks discuss the "Cambrian
      explosion," in which all major animal groups appear together in the
      fossil record fully formed instead of branching from a common
      ancestor -- thus contradicting the evolutionary tree of life?

      HOMOLOGY. Why do textbooks define homology as similarity due to
      common ancestry, then claim that it is evidence for common ancestry --
      a circular argument masquerading as scientific evidence?

      VERTEBRATE EMBRYOS. Why do textbooks use drawings of similarities in
      vertebrate embryos as evidence for their common ancestry -- even
      though biologists have known for over a century that vertebrate
      embryos are not most similar in their early stages, and the drawings
      are faked?

      ARCHAEOPTERYX. Why do textbooks portray this fossil as the missing
      link between dinosaurs and modern birds -- even though modern birds
      are probably not descended from it, and its supposed ancestors do
      not appear until millions of years after it?

      PEPPERED MOTHS. Why do textbooks use pictures of peppered moths
      camouflaged on tree trunks as evidence for natural selection -- when
      biologists have known since the 1980s that the moths don't normally
      rest on tree trunks, and all the pictures have been staged?

      DARWIN'S FINCHES. Why do textbooks claim that beak changes in
      Galapagos finches during a severe drought can explain the origin of
      species by natural selection -- even though the changes were reversed
      after the drought ended, and no net evolution occurred?

      MUTANT FRUIT FLIES. Why do textbooks use fruit flies with an extra
      pair of wings as evidence that DNA mutations can supply raw materials
      for evolution -- even though the extra wings have no muscles and
      these disabled mutants cannot survive outside the laboratory?

      HUMAN ORIGINS. Why are artists' drawings of ape-like humans used to
      justify materialistic claims that we are just animals and our
      existence is a mere accident -- when fossil experts cannot even agree
      on who our supposed ancestors were or what they looked like?

      EVOLUTION A FACT? Why are we told that Darwin's theory of evolution
      is a scientific fact -- even though many of its claims are based on
      misrepresentations of the facts?
    • larjsy
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2002
        Oops! I didn't mean to repost this one. (Sorry...) -lar.