Rules of Grammar Affect Creation

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2 12:07 AM
      To properly understand creation, we should not begin with an interpretation. If we begin with an interpretation, instead of rules of interpretation, we will doubtless confirm the interpretation we began with. A young-earther can interpret the text with his concept of time and claim “24 hour support” in the text. An old-earther can use the same time ideas to claim support for “billions of years.” They arrived at different creation stories because they started with interpretations (time ideas that did not exist in Moses’ day) rather than grammatical methods.

      To properly understand any ancient text, we must take words literally in their historical and grammatical context. In some cases this will deviate from the literal, but not from the understanding of a contemporary. Jesus used a figure of speech, John 10, claiming he is the door of the sheep. The disciples understood his metaphor.

      Culture, context, other texts and even predictions can affect an interpretation. Jesus said that he will build his church on this rock (petra) and the gates of hades will not prevail against it (Matthew 16:12 - 20). The foundation of his church is Peter’s (petros small rock) statement that Jesus is the Christ the Son of the living God. Peter’s statement is foundational and Peter was entrusted with the gospel to the Jews (Galatians 2:7-8). Why does he mention a large rock, petra? The context shows that Jesus took his disciples to the district of Caesarea Philippi to question them about his identity. Near this city was a large cliff (petra) from which an underground stream emerged, known as the gates of hades. A pagan temple to Pan, that specialized in immorality, stood next to the gates of hades. Within a generation, Jewish society closed ranks, opposing Jesus as the Son of God. He called out his church from the pagan world, represented by the cliff (petra). The pagan culture, the gates of hades, did not prevail against his “called out assembly” who believed Peter’s statement. Replacing traditions with context can affect the meaning.

      No translation is authoritative, only the original languages and grammars.
      If the original had no verb tenses, then tensed languages are not equivalent. (Languages without verb tenses are still in use today. Their thinking and communicating are fundamentally different from those of tensed languages). We must not adjust the meaning to fit an incompatible grammar.

      Changing Earth Creation is an interpretation that starts with interpretation rules. Because biblical Hebrew had no verb tenses or a concept of an actual time, a C.E.C. interpretation does not rely on western time ideas.

      Early societies were not indifferent to the realities and durations in nature. However, the concept of an actual time was unknown among our early ancestors. They simply referenced events to other events or to the era of some process. Their calendars were dynamically tuned by events: the observation of a new moon or the rising of a star before dawn. They did not use calendars to measure time, which had no existence in their world view. In their empiricism, observations and observed events were real, not speculations about time. In Jewish rabbinical literature, time as an entity or a dimension is not mentioned even with respect to the creation or the universe at large. (See “Time and Process in Ancient Judaism” by Sacha Stern). They experienced the world of continual change, without speculating about a time dimension.

      In the ancient world view, everything was deteriorating, which is the opposite of modern ideas about progress. They even claimed that their days and years were shorter and worse than those of their fathers (Genesis 47:9). The best biblical example of this is Job 14. Job says man born of woman is of few days, filled with trouble. Then he describes various geological phenomena (e.g. the ocean - west- dried) as markers for the few days of life. Drill cores show that the Mediterranean did repeatedly dry. At the end of the poem he mentioned how their faces changes (doubled) before they died. The skull is the only part of our skeleton that keeps growing with age. We find the skulls of the old ones with huge thick brows, yet the young Neanderthals look more like us. Evidently they grew thick brows because they lived through geological events during the dinosaur age, as Job described. Job lived about 2,000 years after creation so evidently years still encompassed geological eras long after Adam. Read how gravity aberration accelerates days and years: http://godsriddle.org/astronomy/accelerating-days-years/

      Biblical genealogies put the creation week at about 6,000 years ago. The duration of the creation days is referenced to geological events, not time, as God continued to command various processes.

      On day one, he continued to command light to give form to the earth.

      On day two, he continued to command a spreading atmosphere to separate water above (evidently an ice ring, Proverbs 8:28) from surface waters.

      On day three, he continued to command waters to seep underground to form subterranean seas (tehom) so that the dry land appeared. Then he continued to command pants to grow up out of the ground, grow into trees and reproducing themselves, in a fraction of an evening and morning.

      On day four, He continued to form the Sun, Moon and stars and continued to place them to spreading place.

      Most of the event markers for the first four days of creation are geological and astronomical in nature. Grammatically, they involve continuing commands with no mention of when God’s commands may have ended.

      Visible galactic history is powerful evidence for a literal creation. We observe how the stars continued to from (evidently from the formless matter in the heart of each galaxy) as billions of galaxies intrinsically grew into huge growth spirals. Cosmic history is also powerful evidence against the western concept of time. When we compare the light from innumerable galaxies at different distances, we observe that the atomic clocks and the star stream orbits both accelerate together.

      Notice that if you start with rules of interpretation, instead of Latin traditions, you arrive at a radically different interpretation that fits the simple, visible evidence.

      http://www.godsriddle.info/2013/08/rules-of-grammar-affect-creation.html

      The picture of an early grand design comes from Durham University and the Keck Telescope. From opposite positions around the bright orange core, two blue pulsed stars streams are emerging and rotating around.

      In my next essay, I will examine the origin of the western concept of time.