Asteroid Moons

    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2013

      How does an asteroid capture a moon? There are hundreds of asteroids with satellite moons. Back in 1993, Galileo photographed the asteroid 243 Ida and discovered the tiny moon Dactyl orbiting around it. Radar images even detected a passing asteroid that is triple back in 2008. Here is a list of asteroids with satellites. http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/astro/asteroidmoons.html

      NASA just released radar images of a tiny moon orbiting the passing asteroid 1998 QE2. The radar images are from the 70-meter antenna at Gladstone, California show a tiny moon about 600 meters long. It orbits a 2.7 kilometer asteroid in less than four hours. I used Gimp 2 to assemble the radar images, taken over a little more than two hours, into an animated gif. Original image from NASA/ JPL-Caltech/ GSSR. http://www.godsriddle.info/2013/05/asteroid-moons.html

      Lets examine how Ida might capture Dactyl, since we roughly know their size, orbital speed and distance, which I do not know for 1998 QE2. The capture of Dactyl is near impossible, according to the laws of gravity. The Sun’s pull on Dactyl should be four times as strong as the asteroid’s at its orbital distance (90 km). At this distance the escape velocity is ~9.3 meters / second. The capture window for Ida is also very narrow. The moon must approach at a relative speed not to exceed the escape velocity at each position of its approach. If it comes in too fast, it will fail to orbit. If it approaches very slowly, it will spend so long approaching that the tiny asteroid’s gravity will accelerate it enough to exceed escape velocity. Even if the moon bounced off the surface, or was affected by the gravity of a third body, capture (according to the laws of gravity) is extremely unlikely. Yet we observe an enormous number of asteroids with moons.

      The Bible, in few words, can give us simple answers to complex issues. It mentions the shattering of a nearby planet in Isaiah 51:9; Job 9:13; Psalm 89:10-11; Job 26:11-12. How do we know these refer to a planet smashing? All societies 3500 years ago told stories of close planet passages and the crushing of a nearby planet. The biblical passages use similar descriptive language as a Canaanite planet god battle. Yet the Bible denies that the planets are gods and emphatically forbids their worship. When the Old Testament was written, people would understand a text in the context of the common earth history accounts of that era.

      Changing Earth Creation is not a new theory. It is simply trying to understand biblical creation and earth history in the grammar and epistemic system of the biblical author. There is not a single verse in the Bible that would have been understood with a scientific mindset by a contemporary. The western system is a mindset so powerful that well meaning Christians tailor the text’s grammar and meaning to fit modern science. Understanding earth history the way the ancients did does not use empirical measuring, mathematical theories or even logic.

      How did we develop a radically different way of thinking (science) from the Bible prophets? The first who tried to invent science were the pagan Greeks. They were unable to overcome their present tense of the verb to be (einai) that suggested everything in the physical universe continues to change. More than a thousand years later, Catholic medieval scholars, in their efforts to tailor Aristotle to fit their religion, finally “solved” the problem of everything changing. Their Latin grammar and their concept of a changeless God allowed them to imagine that the essence of substance is changeless. Over the last centuries, western scientists invented empirical definition for matter, time, mathematical methods and laws, almost all based on their dogma that matter is not changing itself relationally. Yet we can see the past back to the creation era. In billions of galaxies at many ranges, we observe that the atomic clocks and the star stream orbits accelerate together. The earliest galaxies, often surrounded by emerging star streams, clock much less that 7% of the frequencies emitted by modern atoms. Perhaps this is why, a few thousand years ago, the biblical authors mentions close passages and the shattering of a nearby planet.  How does gravity accelerate Earth’s days and years?  http://godsriddle.org/creation-days/subsequent-days/

      If a planet was shattered in a collision, rocks that were adjacent to each other before the collision would likely be traveling at the same speed and direction as they moved off together. In that case, capture would be more likely. Is it significant the moonlet Dactyl is has a similar composition as its partner Ida? Is it worthy of consideration that asteroids and comets have rocks that on Earth formed deep underground under volcanic conditions? Is it significant that they contain rocks, like cubanite, that only form in warm, liquid water yet today those bodies are too cold for liquid water? It is important that they have irregular shapes and long cliffs as though they are broken planet pieces?

      Changing Earth Creationists can accept that a planet was shattered a few thousand years ago because (1) the Bible mentions it; (2) it was common knowledge in the biblical age; (3) and the visible evidence supports it. CEC can think like the ancients because we acknowledge that everything changes. The Bible states that the creation is enslaved to change (Romans 8:21). Paul used orderly submission verbs and together verbs to describe this universal corruption. We reject the basic assumption of modern science that matter is not changing itself and when we do we find that simple, visible evidence supports biblical earth history and creation, without the need for mathematics.