RE: [CreationTalk] Global Flood - an astronomical date

    Message 1 of 5 , May 20 6:07 PM

      > Well, Chuck, that source might be known--but it's a later source,

      > and as I understand it, they who created the Masoretic Text
      > destroyed every other Hebrew or Aramaic text they could lay hands on.

      > Except that maybe the Dead Sea Scrolls predate that.

      I have encountered that claim before not even from sources the hate the Masoretic Text and would have gladly exploited it.

      While it is true that the Masoretic Text itself is more recent than the Septuagint, that does make the more accurate. The Masoretic Text is simply the Hebrew Old Testament in an updated script. The Septuagint is a translation of questionable origin from Alexandria Egypt , the place from which among other heresies Gnosticism originated.

      You also can not ignore that fact that claiming that the Septuagint is more authentic than the Masoretic requires assuming that every English copy of the Bible we have is bogus. It is also a theory that makes God look incompetent being incapable of accurately preserving and transmitting his word not to mention making God a liar.

      Matthew 24:35

      Mark 13:31

      Luke 21:33

      Psalm 12:6-7

      > Can you explain the convergence of perihelia at 3344.5 BC any other way?

      Fist of all we are only talking about 2 major comets, reaching perihelia this year and probably at least 3 smaller more distant ones. So frankly it would not be a particularly low probability event that could just be a coincidence. That of course assumes that the converges is real, I ran Dr. Brown's calculations for my self and found no convergences. In fact not on of them had a perihelia in 3344 B.C.

      Pons-Brooks had a perihelia 3281 B.C. and 3352 B.C.

      Olbers has a perihelia 3319 B.C. and 3391 B.C.

      Brorsen-Metcalf had a perihelia 3326 BC and3402 B.C.

      Halley has a perihelia 33051 B.C and 3381 B.C.

      Swift-Tuttle has a perihelia 3316 B.C. and 3447 B.C.

      Not one of these is with in Dr. Brown's margins of error. I honestly can not reproduce his results using his data and the process he describes. So how do I explain the convergence of perihelia at 3344.5 B.C.? Based on my calculations it never happened.