Logic and the Age of the Earth

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 17, 2013

      The Bible (in its English translations) contains hundreds of verses with the expression "if" and "then." Biblical “if - then” statements are related to the commonplace meaning of words and ordinary affairs. For example, Genesis 24:8  "But if the woman is not willing to follow you, then you will be free from this my oath; only do not take my son back there."  If the woman says no, then you are free from the oath. Another example, if a witness refuses to publically testify to what he has seen, then he shall be guilty (Leviticus 5:1).

      Formal logic did not come into existence until Aristotle. Logical syllogisms go back about a century. In mathematical logic, words often have metaphysical meanings. For example, if the universe is 6,000 years old, then its diameter cannot be greater than 6,000 light years. In this proposition, certain metaphysical ideas are relied on without proof.

      1. Time exists, even though no one has ever detected or isolated any of it.

      2. Time is measurable.
      It is pure speculation to imagine that one can measure what one cannot detect. The Bible states that time (Hebrew olam) is in our minds: Ecclesiastes 3:11.

      3. Clocks and orbits are linear. We observe innumerable ancient atomic clocks and star streams in billions of galaxies. No ancient galaxy shines with the light frequencies of modern atoms. Indeed, some ancient galaxies shone at less than 10% of the light frequencies of modern atoms. When we observe the history of how galaxies formed, we see that the stars accelerated outwards as naked galaxies grew into huge growth-spirals as the light clocks also accelerated.

      4. Clocks are useful for scaling meters, velocities and light years. The suppositions that time exists, is linear and is a marker for distances are not supported by visible cosmic history.

      Let’s examine the age of the earth with biblical logic, rather than mathematical logic. Can the universe be both old in age and young in years?  If ancient days and years were vast eons and days and years steadily accelerate, then the world would have vast age, yet few rotations around the Sun. Jacob, in keeping with the ancient way of thinking, said that his days and years were shorter and worse than the days and years of his fathers. Genesis 47:9.

      Are ancient calendars linear records?

      The earliest calendars had 360 days with 12 - 30 day months, which is the calendar Noah during the flood. Sometime later, nations abandoned the 360-day calendar for one with 365 days. The lunar calendar also changed to 12 lunations in 354 days, eleven days short of the solar year. Priests noticed this discrepancy and adjusted their dynamic calendars to fit the changing cycles of nature. No one in that era could imagine that time exists or is measurable, since they adjusted their calendars to fit the observed irregularity of heavenly events.

      Our ancestors, a few hundred generations ago, mentioned catastrophic planet passages and a planet shattering, which are also recorded in the Bible. Indeed, we find thousands of shattered planet pieces (complete with volcanic and sedimentary rocks) orbiting between Mars and Jupiter. If planets passed sufficiently close, the Earth would precess during the passage. The Sun could appear to swinging to the north and then back to the south, as the Greeks recorded that it did when Patheon fell and smashed towards the Baltic north. Joshua recorded that the Sun delayed in Gibeon and the Moon persisted over the valley of Ajalon. The earliest record of a planet’s orbit, the Venus Tablets of Ammizaduga, record a synodic cycle remarkably different from the modern Venusian orbit. The tablet record suggests a much smaller solar system. For two thousand years, astronomers measured, with angles, a decreasing solar parallax, as though the solar system was gradually expanding. The solar parallax has continued to decrease even since the 1960's when the canonical AU was established by means of clocks and radar.

      The ancients recorded that the patriarchs lived for vast ages. Job even explained that the sea (Hebrew west) dried as a marker for the brevity of life during the dinosaur age (Job 14). Indeed, drill cores confirm that the Mediterranean dried eight times, leaving thick deposits of plankton alternating with layers of rock salt, stromatolite and gypsum. Job mentioned how their faces (paniym) doubled (shama) before they died. If we lived for geological eons, our skulls would grow Neanderthal brows. Our grandchildren, however, would have more modern faces, as the fossils show. Some wag might insist that accelerating days and years require a logical reason. The records of the ancients is not enough!

      We observe that the visible properties of matter keep changing throughout cosmic history, as one should expect from Romans 8:21 (that the creation is enslaved to change.) We also observe, when we compare the shape of galaxies at many ranges, that the star streams continued to accelerate outwards as galaxies spread out and grew. It is reasonable to accept that the visibly changing properties of matter caused the outward accelerating orbits.

      Wait, says the skeptic, even if this were to occur in galaxies, what could cause local days and years to accelerate? We observe tides from the Sun and Moon. If gravity is propagating at light speed, the Sun would pull more on one hemisphere than on the other (as paraconical pendulums confirm). This would gradually accelerate both orbits and rotations. It would also cause all the planets to accelerate outwards, producing a logarithmic spread, as in Titius Bode's law. The technical name for this phenomena is gravity aberration. You don’t need a technical name. Every old person remembers that days and years were slower during our youth.

      The age of the universe is not a problem for Changing Earth Creationists. We use biblical logic, not mathematical logic, to accept what our ancestors recorded, what the Bible states and what we confirm in cosmic history.
      Changing Earth Creationist’s reject the idea Peter predicted for the last days - the notion that all things remain the same. Logic itself fails in a universe where every atom changes as it ages. 1 + 1 would always equal 2, but all ancient 1's would be unlike modern 1's. A universe where matter changes as it ages,  the cosmos could have vast age, yet the Earth could have orbited the Sun only 6,000 times. Orbits would acclerate along with the acclerating clocks, which is what we observe in cosmoic history.

      http://www.godsriddle.info/2013/02/logic-and-age-of-earth.html

      The picture is of Kurt Godel, a mathematical logician. His fame comes form his “proof” that any sufficiently complex system of mathematics that starts with axioms and develops rules, must be either incomplete or inconsistent. Furthermore, one cannot prove the system from within itself. Creation does not use syllogisms, just Moses’ Hebrew words. His creation account is confirmed in how the stars continued to come out from billions of ancient galaxies that were originally compact and naked (formless and without starry appendages).