Stunning report from astronomers!!!

  • ad101867
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 22, 2011
      Hi, gang! The idea of a vast body of water beyond outer space burst into my awareness back when I read Russell Humphreys' book /Starlight and Time: Solving the Puzzle of Distant Starlight in a Young Universe/. His main thesis may or may not be correct, but I was very struck (and agree with) his contention that the "expanse" (or "firmament" or "sky" or "heavens") in Gen. 1:6-8, which God placed "between the waters," is actually the space beyond Earth's atmosphere. This interpretation is not only fully consistent with vv. 14-17, but would seem to be /required/ by those latter verses.

      This then also enlightens our understanding of Psa. 148: "Praise him, sun and moon, praise him, all you shining stars! Praise him, you highest heavens, and you waters above the heavens!" (vv. 3-4) The "highest heavens"--since "heavens" in Hebrew /can/ refer to our sky, depending on context--would seem to indicate a realm or space /beyond/ Earth's atmosphere. And this vast expanse is said to have "waters above" it.

      So I was absolutely delighted to read the following released just today from SPACE.com: "Astronomers have discovered the largest and oldest mass of water ever detected in the universe — a gigantic, 12-billion-year-old cloud harboring 140 trillion times more water than all of Earth's oceans combined. The cloud of water vapor surrounds a supermassive black hole called a quasar located 12 billion light-years from Earth. The discovery shows that water has been prevalent in the universe for nearly its entire existence, researchers said."

      Sure, they put an evolutionary timeframe on it, but note that their line of reasoning places this body of water at the very point of Creation, precisely consistent with Gen. 1. Read more at:
      http://ca.news.yahoo.com/astronomers-largest-oldest-mass-water-universe-200503717.html

      -Andy