The cat is out of the bag!

  • Andreas Peterson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2002
      Group,

      It's official!

      After thinking about doing it for almost half a year, I have finally
      mustered the courage and have posted my `recantation' to the c/e-boards I'm
      a member of, denouncing Darwinism and accepting creationism and ID.

      The cat's out of the bag, now I can only sit back and wait for the
      reactions. Thanks to all the members of this group who has helped me become
      so secure in my decision that I could do this.

      In Christ,
      Andreas

      "Biology is the study of complicated things that give the appearance of
      having been designed for a purpose." (Dawkins R., 1996, "The Blind
      Watchmaker: Why the Evidence of Evolution Reveals a Universe Without
      Design", W. W. Norton: NY, p. 1)

    • sejones@iinet.net.au
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2002
        Group,

        From: "Andreas Peterson" <duckling9@...>
        Date: Mon Jul 1, 2002 9:36 pm
        Subject: The cat is out of the bag!

        [...]

        AP>It's official!
        >
        >After thinking about doing it for almost half a year, I have finally
        >mustered the courage and have posted my `recantation' to the c/e-boards
        >I'm a member of, denouncing Darwinism and accepting creationism and ID.
        >
        >The cat's out of the bag, now I can only sit back and wait for the
        >reactions. Thanks to all the members of this group who has helped me
        >become so secure in my decision that I could do this.

        [...]

        Congratulations to Andreas on his `coming out'. Perhaps he will post
        an English translation of his `recantation' to CED?

      • Andreas Peterson
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2002
          Group,

          On 2 Jul 2002 01:08:02 -0000, sejones@... wrote

          [...]

          SJ>Congratulations to Andreas on his `coming out'.

          Thanks to Stephen for this.

          SJ>Perhaps he will post an English translation of his `recantation' to
          >CED?

          Of course. Note that the subject line and the quote was originally in
          English, everything else has been translated from Danish:

          "I think it right ... to read my recantation."
          Author: Andreas
          Date: 01-07-02 14:55

          Group,

          "I think it right, as one of my last acts before I quit this Chair, thus
          publicly to read my recantation. We ought, indeed, to have paused before we
          adopted the diluvian theory, and referred all our old superficial gravel to
          the action of the Mosaic Flood. For of man, and the works of his hands, we
          have not yet found a single trace among the remnants of a former wolrd
          entombed in these deposits." Sedgwick A., 1831, "Presidential Address",
          Proceedings of the Geological Society I, 313, as quoted in Whitcomb J.C. &
          Morris H.M., 1998, "The Genesis Flood: The Biblical Record and its
          Scientific Implications", Presbyterian and Reformed Publishing Group:
          Phillisburg NJ, p. 98)

          When Adam Sedgwick, president of The Geologic Society and one of the leading
          geologists of the time, publically withdrew his support for a global Flood,
          he stood as a man, who was forced to acknowledge that the observations went
          against everything he had spent most of his life on as a scientist.

          In the same way, I stand today as a man, who have realized that what I have
          believed in my (short) life as a scientist, and have spent long time
          discussing in forums like this, is wrong.

          Over the past half year I have gradually come to the conclusion that
          Neo-darwinism, as it is taught in nummerous courses all over the world, is
          lacking in such a degree, that I see no other possibility than to cast it
          aside.

          So that there shall be no misunderstandings, I better specify that I don't
          doubt the high age of the Earth, nor that all organisms are related,
          including man, which has descended from ape-like creatures. However, I have
          step by step reached the conclusion that neither random mutation, natural
          selection, genetic drift, or any other mechanisms proposed by Darwinists,
          are fully capable of explaining the complexity seen in the biosphere.

          This has not been a painless process. It is never easy to give up something
          that has been so fundamental in one's life, and it is not made easier by the
          fact that I have drawn much attention to myself by defending just Darwinism
          in public discussions. It is therefore with a strange sadness that I today
          can declare the Darwinist Andreas Peterson for dead.

          But it is with a just as strange happiness that I can welcome the
          ID-theoretican and creationist Andreas Peterson. I have become convinced
          that the ID-movement, with as great scientists as Michael Behe and William
          Dembski as its leaders, is an avenue med great scientific potential, which I
          (and many other) will devote our work to. The existence of an alternative to
          Darwinism was necessary for my ability to its [Darwinism's] deficiencies.

          I will continue writing in this forum, only will I in then future defend
          intelligent design and creationism, as well as attack Darwinism, just as I
          wil spend less time discussing those disagreements I have with other
          creationists (including YECs), as I see the fight against Darwinism as
          having a higher priority.

          In Christ,
          Andreas

          "But, just a moment. If life is so common, why has the search for
          extraterrestrial intelligence, or SETI as it's known in the trade, drawn a
          blank? Why do we see no extraterrestrial artefacts on Earth or in the Solar
          System? As Enrico Fermi so memorably asked: "Where are they?"
          One possibility is that advanced civilisations do not use radio waves for
          communication. Another is that we have not looked hard enough for signs of
          intelligent life. Maybe they are out there but deliberately obeying a Star
          Trek-like policy of noninterference with emerging civilisations.
          That last possibility is a little hard to believe. Given that it takes a
          message 150 000 years to cross the Galaxy at the speed of light, not every
          starfaring civilisation could be aware of Federation rules, Surely someone
          would have blundered into our region of the Galaxy by now.
          Perhaps advanced civilisations always end in self-destruction? But surely
          there would be some exceptions. Perhaps travel between the stars is very
          hard and that's why extraterrestrials have not arrived. That, too, is
          difficult to believe.
          Whichever way you look at it, we seem left with the depressing conclusion
          that advanced civilisations must be very rare." (Editorial., 1996, "Lonely
          Little Earthlings", New Scientist 151(2043):3)