Re: MODERATOR Hello and is there any rebuttal?

  • senojes
    Message 1 of 7 , May 9, 2002

      From: "Noone Inparticular" <unreve89@...>
      Date: Fri May 10, 2002 8:30 am
      Subject: Re: Hello and is there any rebuttal?

      [...]

      >PS>The Atheist claim is not honest.

      NI>Perhaps so, but that is different than what scientists claim. You
      are (I
      >suspect deliberately here) using loaded and inflammatory language.

      [...]

      >PS>The great dishonesty is to claim that the successes of modern
      biosciences
      >>would not exist without the base supporting them, Darwin's Theory,
      by
      >>attributing to The Theory credit for all the great biological
      discoveries
      >>of the past century.

      *** Moderator: I agree with NI that it is indeed "loaded and
      inflammatory language" to claim that the claims of one's
      opponents are "not honest". I have previously ruled that it
      amounts to a personal attack (and therefore in breach of
      the rules of CED) to claim that one's opponents are
      "dishonest", "lying", etc. It is sufficient to claim that one's
      opponent is *wrong* and then attempt to show why they
      are wrong. ***

      [...]

      >PS>The claims of Atheists and their fellow-travelers,

      NI>Phil. You are a Professor Emeritus. I take it from that fact that
      you are an
      >older gentleman. Surely you are aware that "fellow-travelers" was a
      >perjorative euphamism for communists. Your use of the term here
      could be
      >construed as an ad hominem attack. You ought to reflect on how you
      choice of
      >words might be taken. It demeans you.

      *** Moderator: However, here I rule that "fellow-travelers"
      these days does not mean " communists", but is a generic
      term for "one who sympathizes with and often furthers the
      ideals and program of an organized group ... without
      membership in the group or regular participation in its
      activities":

      http://m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=fellow+traveler
      Main Entry: fellow traveler Function: noun Etymology:
      translation of Russian poputchik Date: 1925 : one that
      sympathizes with and often furthers the ideals and
      program of an organized group (as the Communist party)
      without membership in the group or regular participation in
      its activities - fellow-traveling adjective

      Therefore "fellow-travelers" is not an ad hominem within the
      rules and custom of this list (in fact it has been used in the
      past by at least one other without attracting moderation). ***

      Stephen E. Jones
      MODERATOR