Re: questions and answers about rules agaist blasphemy & `creationist-bashing'

  • senojes
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2002

      A person interested in becoming a member has asked the
      following questions, which I felt could be worth sharing
      with the Group.

      [...]

      >Your rules seem reasonable enough. However, I have
      some questions.

      [...]

      >>2. Rudeness, profanity, vulgarity and blasphemy are not
      >>permitted.

      >How does one determine if something is blasphemous?
      >Is it only YOUR determination? ...

      In the final analysis it would be MY determination. I have
      explained to the members before on many occasions that I
      see myself as like an umpire in a sporting game. Umpires
      are not perfect, but if they make a ruling, a player can
      register his/her protest, but then must accept the ruling
      and get on with the game. If the player does not accept the
      umpire's ruling, he/she will be suspended or banned. If the
      player verbally attacks the umpire he/she will
      be banned.

      By "blasphemous" I mean the dictionary definition of it, e.g.

      http://m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=blasphemy
      Main Entry: blasphemy ... Function: noun ... 1 a : the act of
      insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence for God
      b : the act of claiming the attributes of deity 2 : irreverence
      toward something considered sacred or inviolable

      For example, criticising and/or arguing against the
      existence of God or Jesus is not blasphemy from the
      perspective of this list, providing it is not done in a
      gratuitously insulting or contemptuous way.

      [...]

      >>7. Mutual respect and sensitivity towards opposing
      >>views is essential. Excessive `creationist-bashing' by
      >>evolutionists and `Bible-bashing' by creationists, will be
      >>discouraged.

      >Is this a typo; "Bible bashing by creationists"? Also, did
      >you leave out "evolutionist bashing by creationists" on
      >purpose?

      No. I mean `Bible-bashing' of evolutionists by creationists.
      I have in mind a particular creationist on another list I was
      on who used to continually quote the Bible to evolutionists
      that they were going to Hell, etc.

      As for leaving out "evolutionist bashing by creationists", I
      have explained to the Group before that I am at my word-
      limit on this Yahoo page and I could not have more than
      one example from either side.

      In my experience "`creationist-bashing' by evolutionists" is
      by far the most common occurrence on C/E lists, but I
      wanted to include `Bible-bashing' by creationists, in view
      of my past experience.

      But "evolutionist bashing by creationists" is covered by the
      first part of rule #7. I have now added "(and vice-versa)" to
      make this explicit:

      7. Mutual respect and sensitivity towards opposing
      views is essential.
      Excessive `creationist-bashing' by evolutionists
      (and vice-versa), and `Bible-bashing' by
      creationists, will be discouraged."

      >Thank you for clearing these up.

      Thank you for the opportunity to do so.

      Stephen E. Jones