Re: *** MODERATOR *** No design required? (was Italian Claims Success ..., etc)

  • senojes
    Message 1 of 8 , May 5, 2002
      Group

      From: "hecd2" <macandrew@...>
      Date: Mon May 6, 2002 1:37 am
      Subject: Re: MODERATOR No design required? (was Italian Claims
      Success ..., etc)

      [...]

      >>AM>I also note that you have not rushed to the defence of Hugh Ross
      >>>and his voodoo astronomy.

      [...]

      >SEJ>*** Moderator: As I ruled in the case of Derek that referring
      >>to ID as "occult" is a breach of Rule #7:
      >>
      >> "7. Mutual respect and sensitivity towards opposing
      >> views is essential. Excessive `creationist-bashing' by
      >> evolutionists and `Bible-bashing' by creationists, will
      >> be discouraged."
      >>
      >>so I also rule that referring to Hugh Ross' astronomy as "voodoo"
      >is
      >>similarly a breach of Rule #7.

      AM>Oh, don't be so precious. You object to me calling Hugh Ross's
      >astronomy voodoo, but you entirely ignore the direct attack on the
      >morality, motivation and integrity of neo-Darwinists by Chris in his
      >recent post 'A lifeline from mass unpleasantness' (By the way this
      is
      >not an appeal from me to the Moderator - I can look after myself -
      >but I make the point about the different standards that seem to
      apply
      >here).

      *** Moderator: There are no "different standards". I had read
      Chris' post and there is nothing moderatable about it. But
      there *is* something moderatable about Alec's post, namely
      his use of the word "voodoo" (with its connotations of the
      occult - one of the things I moderated Derek about), in respect
      of Christian astronomer and minister Hugh Ross. IMHO
      Hugh Ross would be entitled to sue Alec (and me for
      allowing it) for defamation, and therefore it is a breach of
      Yahoo's terms of service:.

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 6. MEMBER CONDUCT
      You agree to not use the Service to: a. upload, post, email,
      transmit or otherwise make available any Content that is
      unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious,
      defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's
      privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise
      objectionable;
      ***

      [...]

      >SEJ>*** But Alec's gratuitous injection of "voodoo" into the debate
      almost
      >>guarantees that there will be polarisation, and makes truth-
      >seeking,
      >>the primary aim of this list:
      >>
      >> "This list is for sharing and discussing creation,
      >> evolution and intelligent design issues, with a view to
      >> converging on the truth of what really happened. Truth-
      >> seekers from all positions on those issues are welcome.
      >>
      >>that much more difficult. ***

      [...]

      AM>I call that man, Hugh Ross, on the evidence of this article, a
      voodoo
      >astronomer, in that he has abandoned any scientific integrity that
      he
      >might once have had in his desperate attempts to fool the ill-
      >informed.

      *** MODERATOR: I have no choice but to ban Alec for a
      month, i.e. until 6 June 2002, in view of his deliberately
      repeating a word, "voodoo" of Hugh Ross that I had just ruled
      was a breach of the rules of this list. If Alec wishes to
      return to CED he will need to apologise publicly for that
      repeated use of that word "voodoo". ***

      >SEJ>I call on Alec (and indeed all members) to try to avoid using
      >>nnecessarily inflammatory language and focus instead on the
      >>*issues* themselves. ***

      [...]

      Stephen E. Jones
      MODERATOR