Re: [breakpoint] Language of the Genome, 02/27/2001

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2001

      Here is one of Chuck Colson's Breakpoints on the significance of the
      human genome having only about a third of the genes that Darwinists
      thought were needed.

      Breakpoint is emailed out to subscribers every couple of days or so. I
      have left the article complete in case anyone wants to subscribe to it.

      Steve

      PS: those who are interested in origin of life matters might check out my
      tagline quote below. I usually post a new quote in the tagline of each of
      my posts for discussion. These then I eventually incorporate in my quotes
      pages (see http://members.iinet.net.au/~sejones/cequotes.html).

      ===================
      If you find these free daily transcripts helpful, please forward
      this one to friends and family. If you're not yet a subscriber,
      come to WWW.BREAKPOINT.ORG and click on "subscribe" to join.
      ===================

      BreakPoint with Charles Colson
      Commentary #010227 - 02/27/2001
      Language of the Genome: Evidence of the God Who Speaks

      The recent announcement that scientists have
      deciphered the human genome has secular scientists
      buzzing. And their editorials in the New York Times
      and elsewhere praise, not the Creator, but Darwinian
      evolution. We need to know, however, that these new
      discoveries are no threat to the Christian worldview.
      Rather, they are a bold verification of its
      coherence.

      The human genome -- the molecular-biological
      blueprint of the human body -- is written in a
      language of four letters (A, C, T, and G), which
      represent the amino acids that produce the proteins
      that make up our biology. The arrangement of these
      letters in the genome account for things like hair
      and eye color and a host of physical traits. Even
      male pattern baldness has a genetic link.

      But, much to the amazement of the translators of our
      genetic code, instead of the human genome consisting
      of 100,000 genes that account for biological traits,
      the human blueprint is only around 30,000 genes.
      Since the fruit fly possesses between 13,000 and
      14,000 genes, scientists believed that, to account
      for all the differences between fruit flies and
      humans, our genome would have to be many times
      larger. Not so.

      If their measurements are accurate, the human genome
      is just over twice the size of the fruit fly's. But
      all this proves, of course, is that the language of
      the genome is much subtler than scientists thought
      previously.

      This shouldn't surprise us. The fact that our biology
      is written in a decipherable language testifies even
      more brilliantly to a God who speaks. That he created
      all living things from a relevantly similar blueprint
      is, likewise, no surprise. That the language of the
      human genome is close to that of other species is no
      surprise, either.

      The latest research reveals that chimpanzees share
      98.8 percent of our genes; mice share 85 to 90
      percent; and bananas, 50 percent of our genes. Well,
      for Christians whose worldview includes the
      affirmation that we were made from the dust of the
      earth, this hardly comes as unsettling information.
      To go on to conclude, as evolutionist Stephen Jay
      Gould has done in the New York Times, that the
      similarities between genomes point to Darwinian
      evolution requires an act of faith that is simply
      breathtaking.

      Subtle differences in the language of our genomes
      results in profound differences between us and other
      species -- and vive la difference!

      The point is, interpreting the information in our
      cells requires a set of worldview lenses through
      which to view the information. A Darwinian sees
      through Darwinian glasses. But the more we learn
      about DNA, the more difficult it becomes for
      Darwinists to explain what they see.

      How does information, through a process of chance
      evolution, become rational, coherent instruction for
      the building of a body? Well, this is why Gould and
      his colleagues talk about "blind watchmakers" and
      other oxymorons. Francis Crick, the co-discoverer of
      the double helical nature of the DNA molecule, has
      even declared, "Biologists must constantly keep in
      mind that what they see is not designed, but rather
      evolved." It's as if reminding themselves of their
      own dogma will convince them that the evidence for a
      Designer is a mirage in the desert of scientific
      explanation.

      Christians know that the Creator has left his
      fingerprints on everything he created. And the God
      who speaks, in his infinite wisdom, uttered the
      language that brought us all into existence.

      For further reference:

      Crick, Francis. What Mad Pursuit: A Personal View of
      Scientific Discovery. New York: Basic Books, 1988; p.
      138.

      Gould, Stephen Jay. "Humbled by the Genome's
      Mysteries." New York Times, 19 February 2001.

      -------
      Touch the future of the Kingdom of God by making a
      commitment to a planned gift. Prison Fellowship has
      professional planned giving staff to help you be
      a good steward of the blessings God has given to you.
      Please call us toll-free at 1-877-PFM-GIVE, or email
      us at <give@...> for more information.
      -------

      Copyright (c) 2001 Prison Fellowship Ministries

      ===================

      THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN FINAL
      FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

      "BreakPoint with Chuck Colson" is a daily commentary
      on news and trends from a Christian perspective.
      Heard on more than 1000 radio stations nationwide,
      BreakPoint transcripts are also available on the Internet.

      For product requests or to make a donation, please
      visit our website at http://www.breakpoint.org or
      call 1-800-457-6125.

      BreakPoint is a production of The Wilberforce Forum,
      a division of Prison Fellowship Ministries.

      Dean: Nigel M. de S. Cameron, Ph.D.
      Executive Director: Jim Nelson Black, Ph.D.
      Associate Editor: Anne Morse
      Associate Editor: Roberto Rivera
      Research Associate: Kim Robbins
      Editor, Wilberforce Forum: Douglas C. Minson
      Editor, BreakPoint Online: Peter L. Edman
      Production Manager: Teresa Woodward
      Staff Writer: Daniel L. Weiss
      Editorial Assistant: Janel Kragt
      List Maintainer: Larry Wilson

      Copyright notice: BreakPoint may be copied and re-
      transmitted by electronic mail, and individual copies
      of a particular BreakPoint e-mail transcript may be
      printed, provided that such copying, re-transmission,
      printing, or other use is not for profit or other
      commercial purpose. BreakPoint may NOT be reproduced
      on the World Wide Web or in broadcast media, print
      media, or other media without express written permission.
      Please contact Prison Fellowship Ministries at
      1-800-457-6125 to submit a request.

      Any copying, re-transmission, distribution, printing,
      or other use of BreakPoint must set forth the
      following credit line, in full, at the conclusion of
      the portion of BreakPoint that is used:

      Copyright (c) 2001 Prison Fellowship Ministries. Reprinted
      with permission. "BreakPoint with Chuck Colson" is a radio
      ministry of Prison Fellowship Ministries.

      Prison Fellowship Ministries(R) may withdraw or modify this
      grant of permission at any time.

      ===================

      http://www.breakpoint.org/
      http://www.pfm.org/
      http://www.angeltree.org/
      http://www.justicefellowship.org/
      http://www.neighborswhocare.org/

      ----
      INSTRUCTIONS!

      If you want to unsubscribe your address, send a message from the
      e-mail box that receives the transcripts to: mailto:breakpoint-request@...

      Put "unsubscribe" in the SUBJECT of the message.

      "In sum the ease of synthesis of 'the molecules of life' has been greatly
      exaggerated. It only applies to a few of the simplest and in no case is it
      at all easy to see how the molecules would have been sufficiently
      unencumbered by other irrelevant or interfering molecules to have
      allowed further organisation to higher-order structures of the kinds that
      would be needed: message tapes, selective control structures, etc.
      Finally, even if I am wrong about all this and primitive geochemistry
      had shown a precision in organic reaction control quite unlike modern
      geochemistry; even if it had produced all 'the molecules of life' and
      nothing but 'the molecules of life' in ample amounts; even then it would
      still only have reached the edges of the real problem as outlined in the
      first four chapters. Still, somehow, an evolving machine had to be
      made." (Cairns-Smith A.G., "Seven Clues to the Origin of Life:
      A Scientific Detective Story," Cambridge University Press: Cambridge UK,
      1993, reprint, p.44)
      Stephen E. Jones, Ph. +61 8 9448 7439. http://www.iinet.net.au/~sejones
      Moderator: CreationEvolutionDesign@yahoogroups.com