Re: MODERATOR The End of CED

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 21, 2005
      Group

      From: "Daniel Edington" <dgedington2001@...>
      Date: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:59 am
      Subject: Re: MODERATOR The End of CED

      [...]

      >>JD>Ah, the end of CED. Well, I won't hate to see it go, nor
      >>>miss it much. It's been infamous for years as the home of
      >>>Steve "the Control Freak" Jones, who has played big fish
      >>>(or Ichthus, if you will) in the small, scummy pond of
      >>>creationism. I have to admit I've seen a lot of good debate
      >>>here, but none of it coming from Steve or his minions,
      >>>who've all seen fit to flout his rules as Steve winks and
      >>>turns a blind eye to it while muzzling his opponents at the
      >>>drop of his moderator's hat. [...]

      >>*** Moderator: Actually I had been expecting something like
      >>this from John, and to be consistent I have now removed his
      >>posting privileges on CED.

      DE>Dan: Now, what is the point of this? Seeing as tomorrow we are all
      >going to have our posting "privileges" revoked. John probably just
      >wanted to get an early start on his vacation.

      *** Moderator: I *stated* "the point of this", i.e. "to be
      consistent". John broke CED's rules, i.e. rule #1 "Undermining
      the Moderator is incompatible with membership" with his "Steve
      `the Control Freak' Jones" and "who've all seen fit to flout
      his rules"; and rule #4, "Mutual respect and sensitivity
      towards opposing views are essential", with his "scummy pond
      of creationism."

      It is ironic that Dan criticises me for *not* flouting my rules,
      while John criticised me *for* flouting my rules! The fact is
      that I have *consistently* enforced CED's rules, without fear
      or favour. One of the last members I had moderated by an
      indefinite suspension was a creationist/IDist.

      However, I probably should have warned John for his tagline:

      "Religion is the greatest untreated disease
      of the twenty-first century.
      -- John Distazo"

      which he seems to have first posted on 11 July. It is a clear
      breach of rule #4, "Mutual respect and sensitivity towards
      opposing views are essential". I am pretty sure I would have
      jumped on a creationist who wrote something like that about
      evolution or atheism. As it was it slipped under my guard. So
      I was not always consistent, but it could be in the evolution
      side's favour. ***

      DE>Speaking of which...
      >
      >Cheers all

      *** Goodbye to Dan and thanks to him for his polite posts. ***

      Stephen E. Jones
      MODERATOR