Haldane

  • Cliff Lundberg
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 19, 2005
      From: "Stephen E. Jones" <sejones@...>

      > "... most mutations lead to a loss of complexity... or reduction
      > in the size
      > of some organ... This is probably the reason... most
      > evolutionary change
      > has been degenerative. [Haldane]

      Well, duh. Most lead to loss, and for that reason, most are
      degenerative.
      Thanks for the insight.

      > "But further, as we saw in the last chapter, mutations
      > only seem to occur along certain lines, which are very similar
      > in closely
      > related species...

      If evolution were elaborative--adding new kinds of parts--and not
      a matter
      of loss and distortion, the possibilities would be much greater.
      Mutations
      could take off in an infinite number of directions. If evolution
      can only
      reduce an existing organism, then mutations must inevitably be
      more limited.
      Why does JBSH pose this observed channeling of mutations as
      something in
      conflict with the observed fact of evolution through loss?

      What is Steve trying to say with this quote?

      Cliff
    • Paul
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 19, 2005
        --- Cliff Lundberg <cliff_lundberg@...> wrote:

        > From: "Stephen E. Jones" <sejones@...>
        >
        > > "... most mutations lead to a loss of
        > complexity... or reduction
        > > in the size
        > > of some organ... This is probably the reason...
        > most
        > > evolutionary change
        > > has been degenerative. [Haldane]
        >
        > Well, duh. Most lead to loss, and
        > for that reason, most are
        > degenerative.
        > Thanks for the insight.
        >
        > > "But further, as we saw in the last chapter,
        > mutations
        > > only seem to occur along certain lines, which are
        > very similar
        > > in closely
        > > related species...
        >
        > If evolution were elaborative--adding
        > new kinds of parts--and not a matter
        > of loss and distortion, the possibilities
        > would be much greater.
        > Mutations could take off in an
        > infinite number of directions.
        > If evolution can only
        > reduce an existing organism, then
        > mutations must inevitably be
        > more limited.
        > Why does JBSH pose this observed
        > channeling of mutations as
        > something in conflict with the observed
        > fact of evolution through loss?
        >
        > What is Steve trying to say with this quote?
        >
        > Cliff

        Paul: Perhaps he is inquiring as to what is the
        mechanism that lead to increasing complexity.
        Incidently I'm astonished at the intensity of group
        activity just days prior to shutdown. I thought it
        would be extinguished quietly. Whatever else Steve's
        detractors say about him they should acknowledge his
        ability to create thriving internet discussion groups.
        The ability to do so is not something to be taken for
        granted as a number of individuals can testify who
        have tried just that.