Re: I am withdrawing from debates on CED

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 4, 2005
      Group

      Following the last time-consuming sets of posts on CED (because of
      which I had no other time to post science news, nor write my book,
      "Problems of Evolution" <http://members.iinet.net.au/~sejones/pe00cont.html>),
      I have decided that I have no alternative but to withdraw *permanently*
      from *regular* debates on CED (i.e. I might *occasionally* respond to the
      odd post if I think it necessary). Please do not any more address
      posts to me with the expectation that I will answer.

      *** Moderator: I will moderate anyone for harassment
      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>,who does not respect my
      decision by *persistently* trying to score cheap points out of me
      (as a member) not answering their posts. Of course as Moderator, I
      will continue to post as necessary.***

      I will continue posting science news and other items for members'
      information and to debate among *themselves*, i.e. not with me.

      If this causes CED to become a low-activity/low-membership list
      and my enemies to rejoice and gloat, then so be it. I am happy to
      lose a battle in order to win a war!

      Steve

      PS: the following two passages of Scripture are running through my
      mind (and so I take them to be a personal word from the Lord to me):

      1Cor 13:11 (KJV) "When I was a child, I spake as a child,
      I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I
      became a man, I put away childish things."

      And this from The Parable of the Talents (which really spoke to me a
      couple of years ago, when our then Pastor preached on it, and even
      used writing a book as an example. when I was thinking of writing a
      book, but had not told anyone): "you wicked servant! ... Why ...
      didn't you put my money on deposit, so that when I came back, I
      could have collected it with interest?'" Somehow I don't think the
      answer to my Master's question when I stand before Him, "why didn't
      you write your book(s)?", "because I was too busy trying to prove John,
      Phil, Cliff, etc, wrong on CED," will be regarded by Him as an acceptable
      return on investment!

      Luke 19:11-26 (NIV) "While they were listening to this, he went on to tell
      them a parable, because he was near Jerusalem and the people thought that
      the kingdom of God was going to appear at once. He said: `A man of
      noble birth went to a distant country to have himself appointed king and
      then to return. So he called ten of his servants and gave them ten minas [a]
      'Put this money to work,' he said, 'until I come back.' `But his subjects
      hated him and sent a delegation after him to say, 'We don't want this man
      to be our king.' `He was made king, however, and returned home. Then he
      sent for the servants to whom he had given the money, in order to find out
      what they had gained with it. `The first one came and said, 'Sir, your mina
      has earned ten more.' ` 'Well done, my good servant!' his master replied.
      'Because you have been trustworthy in a very small matter, take charge of
      ten cities.' `The second came and said, 'Sir, your mina has earned five
      more.' `His master answered, 'You take charge of five cities.' `Then
      another servant came and said, 'Sir, here is your mina; I have kept it laid
      away in a piece of cloth. I was afraid of you, because you are a hard man.
      You take out what you did not put in and reap what you did not sow.' His
      master replied, 'I will judge you by your own words, you wicked servant!
      You knew, did you, that I am a hard man, taking out what I did not put in,
      and reaping what I did not sow? Why then didn't you put my money on
      deposit, so that when I came back, I could have collected it with interest?'
      `Then he said to those standing by, 'Take his mina away from him and give
      it to the one who has ten minas.' ` 'Sir,' they said, 'he already has ten!' `He
      replied, 'I tell you that to everyone who has, more will be given, but as for
      the one who has nothing, even what he has will be taken away. But those
      enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them-bring them
      here and kill them in front of me.'" [a] A mina was about three months'
      wages."
      Stephen E. Jones, BSc (Biol). http://members.iinet.net.au/~sejones
      "Problems of Evolution" http://members.iinet.net.au/~sejones/pe00cont.html
      & http://members.iinet.net.au/~sejones/PoE/PoE00ToC.html
    • Cliff Lundberg
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 4, 2005
        From: "Stephen E. Jones" <sejones@...>
        > I have decided that I have no alternative but to withdraw
        > *permanently*
        > from *regular* debates on CED (i.e. I might *occasionally*
        > respond to the
        > odd post if I think it necessary).

        I always thought Steve put too much work into his responses but
        hoped this was contributing to his book project. The list will be
        different. Maybe after his book comes out Steve will engage in
        public debate about it.

        Cliff
      • Paul
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 5, 2005
          --- Cliff Lundberg <cliff_lundberg@...> wrote:

          > From: "Stephen E. Jones" <sejones@...>
          > > I have decided that I have no alternative but to
          > withdraw
          > > *permanently*
          > > from *regular* debates on CED (i.e. I might
          > *occasionally*
          > > respond to the
          > > odd post if I think it necessary).
          >
          > I always thought Steve put too much work into
          > his responses but
          > hoped this was contributing to his book project.
          > The list will be
          > different. Maybe after his book comes out
          > Steve will engage in
          > public debate about it.
          >
          > Cliff

          Debates about the book would be more productive; both
          from Steve's point of view and mine also. The
          exchanges on more familiar topics are predictable and
          repetitive. Get the book out and we'll have something
          else to focus on.

          Paul