Education strife

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2005
      The following is an article of a well known American
      conservative named Phyllis Schlafly of Eagle Forum
      about some current controversies centered around the
      issue of education.

      Time To End The Censorship
      December 29, 2004 by Phyllis Schlafly

      The most censored speech in America today is not
      flag-burning, pornography, or the press. The worst
      censors are those prohibiting criticism of the theory
      of evolution in the classroom.
      A Chinese scholar observed, "In China we can criticize
      Darwin but not the government. In America you can
      criticize the government but not Darwin."

      All polls show that the vast majority of Americans
      reject the theory of evolution, as have great
      scientists such as Lord Kelvin and Louis Pasteur. But
      that does not stop an intolerant minority from trying
      to impose a belief in the ape-to-man theory on
      everyone else.

      School boards have finally had enough of this tyranny.
      From Georgia to Pennsylvania to Ohio to Wisconsin to
      Kansas, school boards are finally moving toward
      allowing criticism of Darwin's theory.

      The Darwinians have propped up their dominance in the
      classroom by the persistent use of frauds and flacks.
      The fraudulent pro-evolution embryo drawings of Ernst
      Haeckel littered schoolbooks for a hundred years, and
      it took specific action by the Texas Board of
      Education to keep them out of current textbooks even
      after the New York Times exposed Haeckel's deception.

      Many textbooks feature pictures of giraffes stretching
      their necks to feed high off of trees, but genetics
      and observed feeding habits disprove that as a basis
      for evolution of their long necks. Moreover, the
      striking beauty of the colored pattern on the giraffes
      illustrates that design, not merely usefulness, is
      what animates our world.

      Continued censorship of criticism invites additional
      fraud, so evolution has suffered more embarrassments
      than any other scientific theory. The Piltdown Man was
      a lie taught to schoolchildren for decades, even
      featured in the Scopes trial textbook, and only five
      years ago a dinosaur-bird fossil hoax was presented as
      true on the glossy pages of National Geographic.

      If Darwinians want to teach that whales, which are
      mammals, evolved from black bears swimming with their
      mouths open, we should surely be entitled to criticize
      that. Yet school libraries have refused to accept
      books critical of evolution, even when written by
      college professors.

      Responding to the majority of their constituents,
      Georgia's Cobb County recently authorized a textbook
      disclaimer saying "Evolution is a theory, not a fact,
      regarding the origin of living things. This material
      should be approached with an open mind, studied
      carefully, and critically considered."

      The ACLU claims this is unconstitutional and is
      seeking out supremacist judges to order classroom
      curricula to continue the censorship and forbid an
      open mind about evolution. If the theory of evolution
      were well-supported, there would be no reason to
      oppose open debate about scientific claims.

      In December, a world-famous champion of atheism,
      Antony Flew, announced his conversion to acceptance of
      intelligent design underlying our world. The Dallas
      Morning News observed, "If the scientific data are
      compelling enough to cause an atheist academic of
      Antony Flew's reputation to recant most of his life's
      work, why shouldn't Texas schoolchildren be taught the
      controversy?"

      At 81, Flew can speak out because he is now free from
      the peer pressure that silences younger colleagues who
      fear loss of jobs, funding, or even dreams of winning
      a Nobel prize. Evolution critics Sir Fred Hoyle and
      Dr. Raymond Damadian were unjustly denied Nobel prizes
      and their work was instead recognized by awards to
      less-deserving others.

      Darwinians know they cannot persuade skeptical adults,
      so they try to capture impressionable schoolchildren.
      At our expense and against our wishes, children are
      taught that the world exists only for what is useful,
      not by design.

      To typical schoolchildren full of wonder, we live in a
      world best described as a marvelous work of art. The
      snowflakes that grace us at Christmastime typify the
      artistic beauty that bestows joy on all ages but, like
      an acid, evolution corrodes this inborn appreciation
      of beauty and falsely trains children to view
      themselves as mere animals no more worthy than dogs or
      cats.

      There is a strong correlation between belief in
      evolution and liberal views on government control,
      pornography, prayer in schools, abortion, gun control,
      economic freedom, and even animal rights. For the most
      part, the schools in the blue Kerry states are
      strongly pro-evolution, while the red Bush states
      allow debate and dissent.

      It should surprise no one that the United States, land
      of the free and home of the brave, has the lowest
      percentage of evolution believers in the world. The
      highest percentage lived in Communist East Germany.

      The Tom Daschle Senate quietly slipped a provision
      into the No Child Left Behind Act that requires, by
      the 2007-2008 school year, science testing by grade 5.
      That gives the censors the authority to force
      ten-year-olds to believe and defend evolution.

      It is long overdue for parents to realize they have
      the right and duty to protect our children against the
      intolerant evolutionists. Hooray for the courageous
      school boards that are finally rejecting censorship
      and allowing debate
    • paulcanagnostopoulos
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2005
        --- In CreationEvolutionDesign@yahoogroups.com, Paul <pk4_paul@y...>
        wrote:
        > Many textbooks feature pictures of giraffes stretching
        > their necks to feed high off of trees, but genetics
        > and observed feeding habits disprove that as a basis
        > for evolution of their long necks. Moreover, the
        > striking beauty of the colored pattern on the giraffes
        > illustrates that design, not merely usefulness, is
        > what animates our world.

        Example of a textbook that suggests that Larmarckism is the source of
        the giraffe's neck, please.

        ~~ Paul