Re: Phillip Johnson on young earth creationism

  • Denyse O'Leary
    Message 1 of 47 , Oct 1, 2004
      The question of where Phillip Johnson stands on various topics has been raised on this list.
      Very recently, he told a group of supporters and critics the following:

      "I have consistently said that I take no position on the age of the earth, and that I regard
      the issue as not ripe for debate yet. I have also rejected all suggestions that I should
      denounce the YECs and instead have said that I regard high-quality YECs like Andrew Snelling
      as respected allies. I am not upset when YECs criticize me for not embracing their position,
      nor am I upset when theistic evolutionists or progressive creationists criticize me for being
      overly friendly with YECs. For now I am standing right where I want to stand. When
      developments make it appropriate for me to clarify or adjust my position, I will not hesitate
      to do so."

      Hope this helps. Cheers, Denyse

      --
      Read brief excerpts from my book, By Design or by Chance?: The Growing Controversy On the
      Origins of Life in the Universe (Augsburg Fortress, 2004) at

      http://www.designorchance.com/press.html

      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0806651776/qid%3D1086112844/sr%3D8-1/ref
      %3Dsr%5F8%5F/104-1050976-4289512

      Denyse O'Leary
      14 Latimer Avenue
      Toronto, Ontario, CANADA M5N 2L8
      Tel: 416 485-2392
      Fax: (phone or e-mail first)
      oleary@...
      www.designorchance.com
    • Paul Martin
      Message 47 of 47 , Oct 3, 2004
        I think Johnson sees the OEC's as being more tolerant and scientific, so he feels he does not need to agree with them, but views the YEC's as more fundamental and dogmatic, so he wants their support.
        -Paul.

        "Stephen E. Jones" <sejones@...> wrote:

        I have an early tape of Johnson's where he tells an interviewer (or it might
        have been a talk-back caller) that (from memory), "I find a universe of vast
        ages to be more appealing". So why does not Johnson simply tell what
        *must* be the truth, that he is in fact an Old-Earth Creationist, who
        interprets the days of Genesis 1 as long periods of time, but wants to be
        "allies" with YECs in the struggle against Materialistic-Naturalistic
        Evolution? Because that is what I (and I am sure that the other OECs who
        left the ID movement because of Johnson's lack of even-handedness towards
        OEC) would *agreed* with him on.