14654Re: Unposted quotes: 2002-2004 #7 (was Unposted quotes: 2002-2004 #6 ...)

  • Cliff Lundberg
    Jul 21, 2005
      From: "Stephen E. Jones" <sejones@...>

      > "Struggling to differentiate himself from Darwin, Spencer said
      > that
      > the concept of natural selection was an "untenable hypothesis,"
      > basically because of what he called the assumption that it could
      > "pick out and select any small advantageous trait; while it can,
      > in
      > fact, pick out no traits, but can only further the development
      > of
      > traits which, *in marked ways*, increase the general fitness for
      > the
      > conditions of existence." Spencer argued that it was not shown
      > how the slight variations posited by Darwin actually were
      > providing an advantage." (Spencer H., "The Inadequacy of Natural
      > Selection," Popular Science Monthly, Vol. 42, April 1893,
      > pp.799-
      > 813, in Caudill E., "Darwinian Myths: The Legends and Misuses of
      > a Theory," The University of Tennessee Press: Knoxville TN,
      > 1997, p.71. Emphasis in original)

      A valid criticism, given the then current model of blending
      Spencer didn't try to protect evolution against logical arguments.

      > "... narrowly failing to become a suitor of the novelist
      > George Eliot. (Blackburn S., "The Oxford Dictionary of
      > Philosophy,"

      I erroneously said it was George Sand, the other female George,
      inspired Eliot enough to copy the name. I can understand being a
      and narrowly failing, but it seems odd to 'narrowly fail to become
      a suitor'.
      IIRC they had a conversation on a boat, but Spencer didn't care
      for her looks, which he admitted was something vitally important
      to him.
      (I hope he didn't tell her this to her face).

      > (Sheldrake R., "A New Science of Life: The Hypothesis of
      > Morphic Resonance," [1981], Park Street Press: Rochester VT,
      > 1995,
      > reprint, p.25)

      I like Sheldrake and had some correspondence with him in the 80's.
      He understood that there were problems, but his solutions were not
      interesting to me. But 'morphic resonance' is reminiscent of
      'vibratory' theory of morphological shape-generation.

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic