Re: [Crafty_Crafters_IL] Crafty Crafters

  • Tina Gilman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 6, 2011
      I hope we'll at least still get World of Fairies? Best of luck!

      On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 7:05 PM, Sparky <glo502002@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > It's sad to say that Crafty Crafters Expo might be seeing its last days.
      > I am unable to spend the time to look for new venues and lack the money
      > to be able to book places. It was a dream of mine and David's to be
      > able to keep it going and when we were at Countryside last year, we felt
      > that maybe we would be able to make a go at it again. But Countryside
      > had all these rules and regs about advertising. Our shows were lightly
      > attended and I didn't want to see the vendors suffer. They are the best
      > group of people I have come to know.
      > Dave and I have both been unemployed from our full time jobs for years
      > now and heading into retirement age, employers want young people and no
      > one wants gray haired folks. They give us a song and dance when we know
      > what the real truth is. We both have part time jobs but no benefits and
      > that is hard. We keep trying. The economy has been slow to recover.
      > We still see places that might be a good place for Crafty Crafters and I
      > never give up on it. There are enough good vendors and crafters out
      > there to make a good quality show and I won't do anything less and I
      > want the vendors to do well.
      > Anyway We're winding down with plans for the World of Faeries festival
      > and last details to wind up. Looking forward to seeing old friends and
      > new. Please join us for our 7th annual event a celebration of the Elven
      > Star fairy festival. We have wonderful music lined up, great oak trees
      > to sit under and great shopping in our artisan village. Some of the
      > best handcrafted items, fairy and fantasy artists will be here local to
      > Illinois and the surrounding states. Details, videos of last year,
      > directions, list of merchants and more can be found on our website at
      > www.theworldoffaeries.com
      > We will stay in touch and we can network here. Please do. If you know
      > of good shows, post them here. Feel free to do that. Crafty Crafters
      > was always about networking and being a family. We need to have good
      > places to make money and show our crafts. And there are alot of good
      > shows out there. I thank all of you who have been part of our "family"
      > for over 8 years, 9 years, 10 years ? I lose count. Many of you have
      > joined us for the festival and many of you still stay in touch. I am
      > blessed to know all of you.
      > Blessings Glo

    • Wandcrafter
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 11, 2011
        Dear Glo and Dave,

        I'm sorry to hear that the shows are stumbling in this horrid economy.  I want to thank you and Dave for giving me my first chance at showing my wares, and for being so warmly welcoming.  I truly enjoyed and benefited from the couple of shows I did with you, even the last one, where I made no sales... because it gave me an opportunity to "practice".  Pam and I are now doing shows like those at the Lake County Fair Grounds and FallDiddley... but never would have had the courage to try for those were it not for the learning experience your show provided us.

        Many thanks, and best wishes for a brighter future.

        Carol

        Carol Oster & Pam Ughetti

        Wandcrafters
        http://wandcrafter.net

        Remember - the magic in your own life comes from the magic you create in the lives of others.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 13, 2011
          Dear Dave & Gloria,

          Sorry to hear! The last year has been tough in this economy. Last quarter I did 2 shows where I barely made table cost...did one and took a loss....and this before Christmas! This year I am only doing 1 show a month, picking and choosing the best money makers from past experience, and waiting for the economy to pick back up.  2012 WILL be better!!!!!

          Attendance at Festivals is down as well...people can't afford to travel with gas at $4/gal. Our own Pan Pagan Festival (which runs 8/3-8) is down by almost 50% on attendance.

          And yes, I know the "can't discriminate because of age" bs.  Corps would rather hire a 30 year old with no clue than to hire someone over 50 (over 65 in my case) with years of valuable experience. (Corporate Intelligence...another oxymoron.)

          All for now.  Be Well!

          Regards,
          Stan Modrzyk/aka Mystic Beauty