FW: In Memoriam

  • Mike Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10, 2002

      Definitely something to think about.

      While many people are struggling with how best to observe the
      anniversary of the September 11th attacks one way is becoming a

      very interesting option.
      Turn off the news. While the media performed a fantastic service

      on that fateful day and the months since in helping to disseminate
      important information...it's time to turn them off. Every major
      media outlet is planning extensive coverage of the day with
      heartfelt and touching stories, all beautifully written and
      edited. And we should appreciate the hard work that they do.

      But there will be no news there. There will simply be a rehashing

      of sentiments that we've all felt, a replaying of video footage
      that we've all seen, a retelling of stories that we've all heard.
      There is no value in letting the media tell us, once again, how
      we should respond emotionally to the facts of that day. There is an
      alternative.

      Turn off the news on September 11th, 2002 . Turn off the TV. Turn
      off the radio. Turn off your computer.

      Make the day about something else.
      Spend the day with your family and friends. Take the kids to a
      park and play in the warm September sun. If it's raining Wednesday,

      pull out the cards or a board game. Enjoy each other's company.
      Take your spouse, girlfriend, boyfriend, or significant other out
      to dinner or lunch.
      Talk.
      Laugh.

      Tell those in your lives that they matter to you. If there is one
      thing we all have learned from those events a year ago, it's that

      life is precious and fleeting and that you never know when you'll
      get a chance to tell the ones you love how you feel. This
      September 11th would be a good time to do just that... in deeds
      as well as words. Imagine it as a new holiday... a holiday when we
      tell the people in our lives how much we value them. How ironic would
      that be? An act of hatred such as the world has never seen being

      the cause for a tradition of love.

      It would be great if the biggest story on September 12th... when
      everybody turns their TVs and radios and computers back on... was the
      massive decline in  audience across the country. Imagine how humbling
      that would be to a news industry that has come to take itself pretty
      seriously.
      Imagine how good it will be for all of us who have become used to

      being bombarded with 9/11 stories for 365 days in a row...
      with no end in sight.

      If you like this idea... pass this Email on...