Tom Businger - Update

  • mdspur@att.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2004
      Just wanted to let you all know (again!) that my dad, Tom Businger, had to be rushed back to the hospital on saturday evening. He was released friday afternoon but was feeling the same symptoms again on Saturday and the pain got pretty intense, so he went back.

      On Sunday/Monday we made arrangements to get him transferred down to the Cleveland Clinic. On Tuesday he had another catherization where they were able to put a 3rd stent into one of the hearts main arteries, which was 80-85% blocked. The hospital he was previously at was unable to achieve this. This was also an artery that had previously been bypassed back in 1994.

      He is doing absolutely wonderful!! The surgeon said he did just great. Moments after he returned to his room we were able to see him and he was very cheerful and smiley, and said he felt fine - had no discomfort or pain whatsoever.

      The doctor says he could possibly go home as early as Wednesday sometime. HOPEFULLY!!

      My dad is the most resilient person I have ever known. This was a pretty scary week for us. We all knew this time he was in serious trouble, but the power of prayer proved once again that when we leave our burdens in God's hands, He will take care of them as he knows best. I thank God that he chose to leave my dad here. Looks like we are going to have a very Merry Christmas!!!!

      Thank you for all of your concern and prayers. It is much appreciated!

      Margee (Businger) Spurio
    • Thomas J Businger
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2004
        I came home from the Parma Hospital last Friday. On Saturday evening, I had to go back the hospital for chest pains because the chest pains were back.

        On Monday evening, I was transferred to the Cleveland Clinic where I was again catheterized on Tuesday and they placed three stents.

        I am feeling much better now but spend a miserable sixteen hours laying flat in my bed. No sand bags, but not moving your legs at my age for that long, they tend to stiffen. And I don't have much padding on the backside, along with constipation, completed the misery.

        They left the inserting tube in my artery since they thought they might need to go back in again. But I sure hope this is all over for now. I was instructed not to pick up any weight over two pounds for two weeks, since the artery is not stitched.

        This catheterization was greatly different from the one last, Wednesday, where I experienced great pain when the surgeon got the catheter stuck inside one of my bypasses, and was attempting to free it. He asked me on a scale of 1 to 10, my pain, and I answered, "Make it a fifteen." You are awake for this entire procedure.

        The nurse gives you a nasty tasting sulphur preparation that will gag even a Scotchman like Will Kelton. I place it on par with that Scottish stew made from sheep's intestine and smells just as bad. (Ok, Will, what's its name?) It is used nowadays for clearing and protecting your kidneys from the effects of the dye used during the procedure.

        Tom Businger, '48