Re: studio wrestling

  • jhill10091@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
      --- In CraftonReunion@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Stephens" <sjstephens@m...> wrote:

      > My Mom was a real fanatic of Studio Wrestling. I remember, from the late '50's, her sitting on the floor in front of the TV and yelling and pounding the floor. If she'd gone to the studio to watch it live, she would have been another "Ringside Rosie". I thought Johnny Valentine was to die for.
      >
      > Susan Neely Stephens, '65

      OK, kids -- here are a few more...

      Chief White Owl, Argentina Rocka -- he could flex his abs and make his body bounce off the mat, "The Hillbilly" and "Bruno Samartino"

      --- Romper Room with Miss Jan -- the Do Bees and Don't Bees, and she was a knock out!!!

      The Popeye Club with Captain Bill. "That should keep the little bastards quiet for a while," was one of his more famous quotes.

      The Untouchables. The Friday Night Fights by Gillette, "taa daa daa, ta-da-da-da-da."

      "I love Phillip Morrrr---isss."

      The Chesterfield Girls. - do not know who they were but thay had great legs!!!

      The Lone Ranger and Davey Crockett.

      Love and memories
      Lanny (John) Hill, '65
    • Dan and Cindy Brown
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
        --- In CraftonReunion@yahoogroups.com, "carlkukol" <carlkukol@a...> wrote:

        > i remember most the of wrestlers names, but there is one who i think was a carnegie police officer with blonde hair. does anyone remember his name?
        >
        > carl kukol
        > class of 72

        THE "FIGHTING COP FROM CARNEGIE" WAS FRANK HOLTZ.

        OTHER POPULAR NAMES WERE AS FOLLOWS...

        1 -- RINGSIDE ROSIE
        2 -- PIE TRAYNOR -- WHO CAN? AMER-I-CAN. WAS A SPOT FOR AMERICAN HEATING.
        3 -- THE BATMAN -- WAS ACTUALLY A YOUNG VINCE MCMAHON. WE ALL KNOW HIM NOW.
        4 -- DOMENIC DENUCCI
        5 -- BARON MIKEL SCICLUNA -- FROM "THE ISLE OF MALTA"
        6 -- BRUNO SAMMARTINO
        7 -- GEORGE "THE ANIMAL" STEELE
        8 -- YOUR ANNOUNCER; CHILLY BILLY CARDILLE

        THATS ALL FOLKS,
        DAN BROWN, '78
      • bcreely
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 2, 2004
          --- In CraftonReunion@yahoogroups.com, "Dan and Cindy Brown" <2760287@c...> wrote:

          > THE "FIGHTING COP FROM CARNEGIE" WAS FRANK HOLTZ.
          >
          > DAN BROWN, '78

          does anyone remember "donny fargo" (one of the fargo brothers)?

          he was don kalt, from ingram. his mom lived across the street from me on north duane.

          bob creely, '60
        • Peter walters
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 4, 2004
            --- In CraftonReunion@yahoogroups.com, jhill10091@a... wrote:

            > OK, kids -- here are a few more...
            >
            > Chief White Owl, Argentina Rocka -- he could flex his abs and make his body bounce off the mat, "The Hillbilly" and "Bruno Samartino"
            >
            > Love and memories
            > Lanny (John) Hill, '65

            How about Dr Tanocka?

            Pete Walters, '75
          • bcreely
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 5, 2004
              --- In CraftonReunion@yahoogroups.com, "carlkukol" <carlkukol@a...> wrote:

              > there was also another wrestler called "jumping johnny de fazio." didn't he go into being a local politican?
              >
              > carl kukol
              > class of 72

              Jumpin Johnny Defazio wrestled back then. He was a janitor at J&L when I worked there in the mid-sixties. I think today he is/was a director with the United Steelworkers, and I heard he ran for public office in Pittsburgh, but I lost track.

              bob creely, '60
            • bill
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 5, 2004
                --- In CraftonReunion@yahoogroups.com, "Dan and Cindy Brown" <2760287@c...> wrote:

                > OTHER POPULAR NAMES WERE AS FOLLOWS...
                >
                > 1 -- RINGSIDE ROSIE
                > 2 -- PIE TRAYNOR -- WHO CAN? AMER-I-CAN. WAS A SPOT FOR AMERICAN HEATING.
                > 3 -- THE BATMAN -- WAS ACTUALLY A YOUNG VINCE MCMAHON. WE ALL KNOW HIM NOW.
                > 4 -- DOMENIC DENUCCI
                > 5 -- BARON MIKEL SCICLUNA -- FROM "THE ISLE OF MALTA"
                > 6 -- BRUNO SAMMARTINO
                > 7 -- GEORGE "THE ANIMAL" STEELE
                > 8 -- YOUR ANNOUNCER; CHILLY BILLY CARDILLE
                >
                > THATS ALL FOLKS,
                > DAN BROWN, '78

                How about Chief Don Eagle with his mohawk, Haystacks Calhoun in his bib overalls and the referee Izzy Modell.

                Bill Andrews, '58
              • jhill10091@aol.com
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 6, 2004
                  --- In CraftonReunion@yahoogroups.com, bill <wandbowl@v...> wrote:

                  > How about ....... the referee Izzy Modell.
                  >
                  > Bill Andrews, '58

                  Izzy could not count to three to save his butt. LMAO!!!!!!

                  Lanny (John) Hill, '65
                • John Small
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 7, 2004
                    --- In CraftonReunion@yahoogroups.com, "bcreely" <bcreely@y...> wrote:

                    > Jumpin Johnny Defazio wrestled back then.
                    >
                    > bob creely, '60

                    I have thoroughly enjoyed the reminiscing about Studio Wrestling. I remember most of the names, but had forgotten some. Jumpin' Johnny is now the Allegheny County Sheriff and his brother, Pete, is on County Council.

                    Do you remember Bill Cardille making the usual announcements to the radio audience before the start of the matches? One of them went, "The attending physician at ringside tonight will be Dr. Louis Civitarese." I play trumpet with Lou in the Community Band South. Lou is a small man, and he looks like an Italian grandfather should look. He is also a very nice person.

                    -John Small ('52)
                  • eugene lovely
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 8, 2004
                      --- In CraftonReunion@yahoogroups.com, "carlkukol" <carlkukol@a...> wrote:

                      > i remember most the of wrestlers names, but there is one who i think was a carnegie police officer with blonde hair. does anyone remember his name?
                      >
                      > carl kukol
                      > class of 72

                      he was frank holtz. also, batman was tony marino and lived in pennsbury village. he used to work out with mr. vogt.

                      eugene lovely
                      class of '75

                      p.s. my brother used to get front row seats at the arena (hence, one of his nicknames --- studio tom) and hence my email address of studio jr.
                    • Peter walters
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 9, 2004
                        --- In CraftonReunion@yahoogroups.com, John Small <jl4@e...> wrote:

                        > Jumpin' Johnny is now the Allegheny County Sheriff and his brother, Pete, is on County Council.

                        Pete DeFazio is Sheriff, Jumpin is on County Council. No big deal, just to set the record striaght.

                        Pete Walters, '75
                      • John Small
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 10, 2004
                          --- In CraftonReunion@yahoogroups.com, "Peter walters" <pwaltersbsn@h...> wrote:

                          > Pete DeFazio is Sheriff, Jumpin is on County Council. No big deal, just to set the record striaght.
                          >
                          > Pete Walters, '75

                          Thanks!

                          -John Small ('52)
                        • MJDKGMA@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 12, 2004
                            --- In CraftonReunion@yahoogroups.com, John Small <jl4@e...> wrote:

                            > Do you remember Bill Cardille making the usual announcements to the radio audience before the start of the matches? One of them went, "The attending physician at ringside tonight will be Dr. Louis Civitarese." I play trumpet with Lou in the Community Band South. Lou is a small man, and he looks like an Italian grandfather should look. He is also a very nice person.
                            >
                            > -John Small ('52)

                            John,

                            Can you tell me which generation Dr. Civitarese you know? I believe there was a father/son combo. I knew the senior Dr. from Divine Providence Hospital. I worked there full time from 1958-1960, then again part time from 1975-1978. Also my mother, Mary Davis, did volunteer work at the hospital with Mrs. Civitarese. The senior Dr. I knew had a wonderful sense of humor. He was a surgeon who kept everyone in stitches. Don't groan, this is the kind of thing he himself would have said.

                            Judy Davis Kueshner, '55
                          • John Small
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 12, 2004
                              --- In CraftonReunion@yahoogroups.com, MJDKGMA@a... wrote:

                              > Can you tell me which generation Dr. Civitarese you know? I believe there was a father/son combo. I knew the senior Dr. from Divine Providence Hospital.
                              >
                              > Judy Davis Kueshner, '55

                              I would guess the Dr. Civitarese I know from band is the senior Civitarese. And he does have a sense of humor. I would guess he's in his late 70s. If you would like to get in touch with him, let me know. I have his phone number in the band directory.

                              -John Small ('52)