Re: Car Safety Warning

  • John Small
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1 11:47 AM
      --- In CraftonReunion@yahoogroups.com, "carlkukol" <carlkukol@a...> wrote:

      > WAL MART IS THE AMERICAN WAY AND BUSINESS WAY. IF OTHERS CAN'T COMPETE, SO BE IT. I NEVER HEARD MUCH COMPLAINTS GROWING UP, WHEN SEARS, JC PENNEY, TARGETS, K MARTS, ETC. MOVED INTO THE NEIGHBORHOOD.
      >
      > IF YOU THINK THAT WAL MART IS THE FIRST OR ONLY STORE TO FORCE MANUFACTURING JOBS OUT OF THE COUNTRY YOU BETTER THINK AGAIN.
      >
      > CARL KUKOL
      > CLASS OF '72

      Carl, et al.

      I prefaced my remarks with "I don't want to stir up the Wal-Mart cauldron again," But you said it all, Carl . . . .

      Sears, JC Penney, Target and K-Mart. Today, combined, they gross less than Wal-Mart and are in danger of going out of business. How long do you think Wal-Mart will "CUT PRICES" when they have no competition? When they "are" the Market," they'll "set" the market. Tell me, then, how "American" they are. You may wish to think again, too.

      -John Small, '52
    • MJDKGMA@aol.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1 7:46 PM
        Re: Tom Businger's report of the lady trapped in the car.

        I recently got a new car---a 2002 Buick LeSabre. I didn't want a new car. I never do. I always only want to keep my old car going. To me, buying a new car is stressful, I don't like it. My kids, however, insisted I could not drive a car with over 100,000 miles alone on long trips. So, I took the plunge.

        Though I am getting used to the car, it does things "for me" that I don't necessarily "want" it to do. It's what they are beginning to call a "Nanny Car."

        For instance, it automatically turns on the overhead light when I turn off the ignition. This is not good when you are a woman, alone in a mall parking lot, at night. Anyway, the car which had doors that could not be manually unlocked is probably a feature of my car, also, which is bad. I'll have to check it out. Why did I pay all that money for a new car that now presents me with new problems?

        Thanks for the hammer advice, Tom.

        Judy Davis Kueshner, '55
      • jrd852@aol.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1 8:33 PM
          --- In CraftonReunion@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Cain" <CraftonReunion@a...> wrote:

          > Good point. Who needs a $3 hammer, or Wal-Mart, when you have a .44 Magnum?
          >
          > Instead, I will be carrying my S&W Super Blackhawk and some heavy-duty earplugs.
          >
          > Bill Cain, '65

          Better take another look at your gun...Ruger makes the Super Blackhawk, not S&W.

          John Davidson, '68
        • Bill Cain
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 1 8:53 PM
            --- In CraftonReunion@yahoogroups.com, jrd852@a... wrote:

            > Better take another look at your gun...Ruger makes the Super Blackhawk, not S&W.
            >
            > John Davidson, '68

            You are absolutely correct. D'oh!

            About 2 seconds after I hit "approve," I started anticipating a correction from Don Little. The only S&W I have is a Model 59.

            And don't forget those earplugs, kids!!!

            Bill Cain, '65
          • Rinehart, Donald
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 2 6:50 AM
              --- In CraftonReunion@yahoogroups.com, Tom J Businger <tnpbuss.1@j...> wrote:

              > My advice is to equip yourself with an Emergency Hammer, that all Wal-Marts and smaller discounts carry, for about three bucks. It is small (eight inches), has a hardened, pointed head to break the glass and a notch knife to cut your seat belt, should you be overturned and / or the seatbelt jams.
              >
              > Tom Businger, '48

              You're kidding about the hammer, right Tom?

              Don Rinehart, '57
            • Mosesdon47@aol.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 2 9:45 PM
                --- In CraftonReunion@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Cain" <CraftonReunion@a...> wrote:

                > About 2 seconds after I hit "approve," I started anticipating a correction from Don Little. The only S&W I have is a Model 59.
                >
                > And don't forget those earplugs, kids!!!
                >
                > Bill Cain, '65

                Bill,

                Had I been online, and read that about the gun, you know I would have corrected you. Since I haven't been on much, I would like to thank John Davidson for picking up the slack and keeping you in line. LOL

                Don Little, '66
              • johler1966
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 3 10:00 AM
                  --- In CraftonReunion@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Cain" <CraftonReunion@a...> wrote:
                  > --- In CraftonReunion@yahoogroups.com, jrd852@a... wrote:
                  >
                  > > Better take another look at your gun...Ruger makes the Super Blackhawk, not S&W.
                  > >
                  > > John Davidson, '68
                  >

                  > You are absolutely correct. D'oh!
                  >
                  > About 2 seconds after I hit "approve," I started anticipating a correction from Don Little. The only S&W I have is a Model 59.
                  >
                  > And don't forget those earplugs, kids!!!
                  >
                  > Bill Cain, '65

                  Well, -- I have a S&W .44 that stays by my bed.

                  Anybody wanna break into MY house???????? LOL

                  Love to all,

                  Adele Johler Roupp -- 1966
                • Paul Newburn
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 7 5:48 PM
                    Dear Cougs,

                    I read with great interest the posts relating to escaping from a burning building and / or a vehicle. Having been a State Trooper for over twenty-five years, and now a Safety compliance officer for a very large bank, I thought I'd comment.

                    Here are some suggestions:

                    1. Have a plan, if you work in a one story building or a high rise, make sure you are aware of two points that you can egress. The reason for two points of escape are quite simple; it depends on the location of a fire within the structure. If your company does not have annual fire drills, shame on them as they are required by OSHA to have a plan in writing and to have drills annually. You can visit the OSHA web site (http://www.osha.gov/) for this information.

                    2. If you own a car, equip it with some very important items, such as a center loaded punch. This is a spring loaded punch that is only the size of a regular ink pen. (Can be purchased at a local hardware store) When placed against a side window and pushed it will shatter the window. As for the safety belt, go to any hunting or fishing store and buy a small pocket knife. Keep these close to the drivers compartment as possible. i.e. center console. Another good thing to remember is your back window can be actually kicked out. The rear window of most vehicles (not SUV's) is only held in by a molded rubber strip around the window.

                    The biggest trick in either situation is to think what you would do ahead of time, train your mind how to react.

                    Keep Calm!

                    Hope you never need these!

                    Paul Newburn, '69
                  • lwojanis@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 10 6:30 PM
                      --- In CraftonReunion@yahoogroups.com, "johler1966" <Adele.Roupp@t...> wrote:

                      > Well, -- I have a S&W .44 that stays by my bed.
                      >
                      > Anybody wanna break into MY house???????? LOL
                      >
                      > Love to all,
                      >
                      > Adele Johler Roupp -- 1966

                      Dear Adele....

                      I feel a little "under covered" since my hubby, Joe has all the "firearms" back there in Pgh. I'm here defenseless in Sunny Arizona, without a firearm to my name.

                      My good old S&W .44 mag is still there in Pgh., because I havn't taken my carry permit test here in AZ. Any suggestions for a poor defense-less RN here in AZ,
                      would be greatly appreciated.

                      Have fun at the Mini-Reunion in Florida.....

                      Lynda Dysert Wojanis, '65
                    • Mosesdon47@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 11 6:01 PM
                        --- In CraftonReunion@yahoogroups.com, lwojanis@a... wrote:

                        > I feel a little "under covered" since my hubby, Joe has all the "firearms" back there in Pgh. I'm here defenseless in Sunny Arizona, without a firearm to my name.
                        >
                        > My good old S&W .44 mag is still there in Pgh., because I havn't taken my carry permit test here in AZ. Any suggestions for a poor defense-less RN here in AZ, would be greatly appreciated.
                        >
                        > Have fun at the Mini-Reunion in Florida.....
                        >
                        > Lynda Dysert Wojanis, '65

                        Hi, all.

                        I thought about Lynda’s saying she was defenseless. Even if she is without a gun I can't see her being defenseless.

                        All kidding aside, even though I don’t go anywhere with being armed, there are other ways to protect oneself (none as good as a gun, but they work). Dogs are a great deterrent to home intrusion. The good old baseball bat and golf club, and (believe it or not) bells, whistles and horns do very well.

                        The best protection is to pay attention to what is going on around you.

                        Don Little, '66