Re: Re: Where is the "Lake?"

  • jhill10091@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 31, 2000
      Hi Georgie,

      See you and bill in a couple of weeks.

      Will be in Thornburgh by the end of August

      "sees ya"

      (John) Lanny Hill '65
    • Laura Shultz
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 31, 2000
        This is Laurie Maxwell (Shultz) in Kansas City (61)

        Yes, Georgie---Sadly, Jim Maddigan did drown in that lake. I was with him, along with Tex Marshall, Boo Boyd, Dick Fordyce, etc. It was a horrible experience which affects me to this day.

        On a happier note:

        ---I've been reading the delightful letters regarding the July Reunion.

        ---Floods of memories from the "old" days. My brother, Bill, has been forwarding them from Sacramento. I was able to connect with Mary B. Snaman who lives here in K.C.

        ---Pretty exciting to discuss St. Phillips, Father Kelty, Sister Agnes Louise, etc!

        Does anyone know what happened to Mr. Burns (latin) or Mr. Perz (biology)

        ---Or, my heartthrob; Doc Willoughby???!!!

        Laurie '61
      • Lew Wheeler
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2000
          The "Lakes:"

          Actually there were 2 "lakes"(They were really strip pits that were never
          filled and reclaimed).

          One was called "The Big Womb" and was behind Imperial--You made a left turn in "Downtown Imperial"(3 stores and a gas station). It contained so much mine acid the water was reddish and your eyes burned.

          The second one was on old 22-30 west near Bavington.

          There were a number of drownings there and the original lake was drained. Bruce Eckenrode was also severely shocked, and almost electrocuted, by a low-hanging high tension electrical wire on the path down to the lake. I have visited the site and there are now 2 smaller lakes and the property has been developed into 7 very nice (and expensive) homesites. We should have bought the property!

          You can still see the site from the highway about a mile before the Bavington
          exit. Old 22-30 is also still there.

          I think we were oblivious to how dangerous these places were--just a great
          spot to spend a sunny summer day to us!

          Lew Wheeler '59
        • EDDIE GRIMES
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 4, 2000
            Hardly anyone mentioned "Clinton Lake".

            Before the Crafton pool was opened in 1958 , my older brothers and sisters would go out to "Old Muddy." It is still there, but not open to the pubic.

            Seems to me that there was a drowning, years ago, and the park closed.

            I remember the catfish where so thick, you could almost walk on the water. Lee and Cappy Smith went there because it was easy access to fishing. I remember late one summer when there was a crab apple tree near the water. We would toss in an apple and watch the catfish play volleyball with it. The dumb fish just moved it all around the lake. If you put bread in the water, you had to remove your hand real quick. They would attack. After that experience it was real difficult for me to go into the water. I heard the theme from "Jaws" in my head before it ever made it the big screen.

            The lake had a high dive. You had to swim to it. I would swim real fast to get my feet on the steps. God forbid I feel anything on my legs or feet. I didn't know how to dive; I would jump.

            Sure enough, my feet would go into the icky, slimly mud. This was not good. No one told me about the gooey bottom. I swam to shore to make sure all body parts were intact.

            From time to time I drive by the lake that is just off Rt 30 in Clinton. I swear I see all these feet sticking out of the water where the diving board was located. You see, lots of people went off that dive head first and were never seen again. It's a haunted water ballet, with feet and legs moving to and frow. I guess some people never got their head out of the mud.

            Oh, how I want to fish there now... I just know there is a great white catfish waiting.... waiting... waiting.

            OK, I am done. Who wants to go to Clinton Lake??

            Eddie Grimes '67