Caring Neighborhoods, Community Awareness

  • luluchoo2003
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2003
      Dear Editor:

      It is horrific to imagine a two-year old toddler alone in an apartment for almost 3 weeks while the Mother was in jail. Where were other family members? Assuming the family was nowhere to be found: where were the NEIGHBORS? Surely SOMEONE heard the cries of a young child over that 3-week period! Surely SOMEONE noticed that while this poor child cried, no one entered or left that apartment? Apartment walls are just NOT THAT THICK to contain a child's cries!!

      This most recent incident highlights yet again the need for our culture to get back to embracing NEIGHBORHOODS and COMMUNITY, and being aware of those who live next door to us!!

      We hear too often tales of dead bodies being found ----identified by the odor---rather than caring neighbors & friends taking notice that these individuals are absent from the community. Too many people are engrossed in the SIMS "neighborhoods" on the internet, while real, live human beings are next door and within their subdivisions, alone and in need of caring contact with others.

      I ask Jacksonville residents to look around, notice who your neighbors are, introduce yourselves----be present and available to be a true neighbor and follow that golden rule: Love your neighbor as your self.

      Perhaps we can then prevent this type of tragedy from occurring again.

      Sincerely yours,

      Lou Ann-Marie Chamberlin
      Advocate, Coalition for America's Children
      8000 Baymeadows Circle East
      #43 Laguna Terrace
      Jacksonville, FL 32256

      904-739-9339

      Thanks, all, for the listen....
    • luluchoo2003
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2003
        Sorry, y'all----I'm technologically-challenged, and evidently deleted my intro comments before sending you a copy of my letter to the editor of our JAX newspaper.

        On September 10, a young woman was arrested for theft. She neglected to inform the arresting officer that she was the mother of a 2-year old, who was home alone. The parents are separated. On September 19, after unsuccessfully reaching anyone at the apartment by phone, the child's father went to the apartment to find his 2-year old, naked, half-clad in a towel, watching cartoons. For 19 days, she had survived eating ketchup, mustard, dried pasta, and drinking from the toilet bowl. She had also ripped off the labels of the few canned goods in the apartment in her futile attempts to open them.

        Thank God, she was released from the hospital, after having been treated for dehydration and malnutrition.

        What is still so shocking is that no one heard this child through thin apartment walls---or noticed that no one entered or left that apartment!

        All I could think of was growing up in McKees Rocks and Crafton, where everybody knew everybody, where we knew who had kids, where we knew where the elderly lived, and we NOTICED and CARED about our neighbors. If you didn't see Ms. Smith or little Tommy for several days, you started asking questions: Are they sick? Can we help?

        What happened here in Jacksonville over these past few weeks happens every day in communities across our country. We've talked about Crafton being a "state of mind." Maybe we Cougars, now living all over these United States and elsewhere, can foster this "community caring state of mind."

        Again.....thanks all, for the listen...

        Lou Ann Chamberlin
        Class of '67
      • Grampapwh1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2003
          --- In CraftonReunion@yahoogroups.com, "luluchoo2003" <luluchoo@b...> wrote:

          > All I could think of was growing up in McKees Rocks and Crafton, where everybody knew everybody, where we knew who had kids, where we knew where the elderly lived, and we NOTICED and CARED about our neighbors. If you didn't see Ms. Smith or little Tommy for several days, you started asking questions: Are they sick? Can we help?
          >
          > What happened here in Jacksonville over these past few weeks happens every day in communities across our country. We've talked about Crafton being a "state of mind." Maybe we Cougars, now living all over these United States and elsewhere, can foster this "community caring state of mind."
          >
          > Lou Ann Chamberlin
          > Class of '67

          Back to "It Takes A Village", by Mrs. Clinton.

          Like it or not, she is right. Without church, family, neighbors, teachers, friends, etc., you do not have a chance to a good life.

          luvyall

          Don and Bernice Burtner
          (Parents, '65)