Re: The Elliott bluff

  • mayorbigk
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2003
      --- In CraftonReunion@yahoogroups.com, JAS8631@a... wrote:

      > During my week in Pittsburgh in August, attending reunion festivities, I went to the Elliott bluff, a.k.a. West End Overlook, to see the 2 million dollar restoration project.
      >
      > I thought it was a dud, and would have preferred to see the dusty, rocky hill that I played on as a kid.
      >
      > While up there, and elderly man was complaining that they were closing the West End police station, which services Elliott, due to lack of funds, but spent 2 million on this "concrete jungle."
      >
      > Anybody been there lately?
      >
      > Jay Schlieper '62

      A few weeks ago, during the Regatta, my girlfriend and I went up there and we both thought it was WONDERFUL!!!

      There were people having picnics, a jazz band playing, and the the plaza itself was designed well. While much of this city continues to deteriorate, it's nice to see SOMETHING being done.

      I'm not sure where the funding came from (anybody have a clue?) but, usually such projects get funding from state and federal sources and/ or private and corporate contributions. (Western Pennsylvania Conservancy, perhaps?)

      This region has lacked true leadership for years, and I sometimes get amused when people who LEFT complain when they come back for a visit. Perhaps if more of us STAYED and worked to make things better, the Pittsburgh region would be in better shape.

      The city's fiscal problems are due to many factors including loss of jobs, declining population, many retirees, too many bureaucrats in government, too many tax-exempt properties, etc--and not the least of which is the mismanagement of Murphy and Company.

      I find it frightening that these career politicians keep getting re-elected. Perhaps now that the public safety has been dangerously jeopardized--used as a pawn in Murphy's game of chess (in a lame attempt to force a state bail-out)--there will be some changes around here.

      Personally, I would like to see some creative ideas on how to prevent BRAIN DRAIN. All of these colleges and universities around here--and the grads head to the west coast and south... Why can't some of the high tech companies born at CMU and Pitt stay here and prosper?

      Has anyone compared housing in Palo Alto, CA and Seattle, WA to Pittsburgh? There is no reason why the Mon Valley can't become a newer, better, "Silicon Valley..."

      Of course, there is always the complaint about the weather...

      :-)

      Sorry for the rant,

      Keith Sparbanie
      Carlynton '77